Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Do we HAVE to do math every day?

Posted by   + Show Post
DD hates math. Every day this week it has turned into a meltdown. I know it's not too hard, and it's not all too easy though some is more of a review for her, but I need to see what she knows so I only have her do a couple problems if its review. Then she makes obvious mistakes and she has a tantrum if I try to explain why something isn't right. Today it only took her 10 min to do 9 problems but 8 of them were wrong because of simple mistakes or not reading directions. She also hasn't memorized her multiplication facts (6s, 7s and 8s...the others she knows for the most part but I wouldn't say fluently).

So, can I schedule real math like m/w/f and just do a math game on t/th? Any other ideas? I just don't want to fight every day but I also think she really needs to learn this stuff.
by on Sep. 11, 2013 at 2:58 PM
Replies (31-32):
kirbymom
by Sonja on Sep. 13, 2013 at 7:55 PM
1 mom liked this
Have you taught the number line graph yet? I did this plus I had my kids hold their hands and told them to refer back to their number line graph. It took them a bit to remember all of it, but they did learn and only once in a blue moon do any of them use their fingers. Maybe you could try this and see if it works for you.

Quoting TJandKarasMom:

I will look for some apps, I have a couple already, I should put that in my plans to have her do some, maybe that will help.

She played some math games with DS today and she had fun, so hopefully that will help too.

I think she just has a really hard time processing things and I don't know how to teach her in a different way, I feel like we have tried everything for these math facts and she just doesn't get it. Part of me thinks it's ok if she never gets to advanced math because she is not likely to need it, but the other part of me insists she needs to know this stuff. I feel like she should immediately know that 7+3=10 and that 3x5=15...I don't think she should have to use her fingers. But I don't know how to make those things stick in her head so she can do it without her fingers.

Quoting kirbymom:Well, it sounds like you are on the right path. Do you have a phone or tablet/ipad where you can download some math apps/games that could help reinforce what she nay be having trouble with? I know for myself, I have been trying to find an app or two that I can download that will help me teach couple of my kids some algebra and geometry with trig and calculus. I have run across some really neat looking apps/games.
Does she like to study in a particular way or does it matter? Does she even like to study with someone? The reason I ask is it may help to change what she normally does to see if she is getting bored with how she processes information. She may not even realize she is bored, if that is what the difficulty might be.

[quote name"TJandKarasMom" id="0"]She mostly is doing review from a text book (it's really the only text book we use). I need to see what she knows, so I have her go through with me, and if she doesn't know then I assign some problems and show her. But for the most part, she knows what to do once I tell her, she just isn't sure what its all called (like "find the product" she might need to be reminded that a product means multiply).

I really feel like I need her to get those basics down better and I guess I just don't know how to make sure she can do basic math without using her fingers. None of the tricks that work for me have worked for her. Maybe we just need to play with manipulatives a lot more.

Quoting kirbymom:Well, what all do you have him do in math? Do you have him playing any games with any of the math lessons? You don't have to have worksheets all the time. Math can be verbal too. Math can be cooking or playing mathematical games. Math can be jumping up and down on one leg. Or counting the pasta. Unless you are in algebra and up, you can do math numerous ways. You can even watch math videos.

wunderwifey
by on Sep. 13, 2013 at 8:28 PM
1 mom liked this

I havent read all of the replys, but I'd take a look at Math U See. Both my DD who is great at math, and the DD who is not so great (read: horrible) at math have had fun and learned a lot. I've even learned some things!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN