Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

What are you reading?

Posted by on Sep. 11, 2013 at 3:30 PM
  • 23 Replies

I love to read. Since doing all my prep work and trying to navigate the day and figure out a schedule that works best for us, I haven't really had any 'me' down time. Now that we are in a bit of a groove, I am able to carve out short bits of time during the day to read.

So ladies, what are you reading right now? Any recommendations? I read ANYTHING. Classics, Autobiographies, Mystery, Romance, Paranormal but I don't read horror stories. I'd never get to sleep...lol

by on Sep. 11, 2013 at 3:30 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Bleacheddecay
by Bronze Member on Sep. 11, 2013 at 3:35 PM

I'm reading The Returned by Jason Mott. There is a new fall TV show based on it.

Here is the blurb on it by amazon.

"Jacob was time out of sync, time more perfect than it had been. He was life the way it was supposed to be all those years ago. That's what all the Returned were."  

Harold and Lucille Hargrave's lives have been both joyful and sorrowful in the decades since their only son, Jacob, died tragically at his eighth birthday party in 1966. In their old age they've settled comfortably into life without him, their wounds tempered through the grace of time…. Until one day Jacob mysteriously appears on their doorstep—flesh and blood, their sweet, precocious child, still eight years old. 

All over the world people's loved ones are returning from beyond. No one knows how or why this is happening, whether it's a miracle or a sign of the end. Not even Harold and Lucille can agree on whether the boy is real or a wondrous imitation, but one thing they know for sure: he's their son. As chaos erupts around the globe, the newly reunited Hargrave family finds itself at the center of a community on the brink of collapse, forced to navigate a mysterious new reality and a conflict that threatens to unravel the very meaning of what it is to be human. 

With spare, elegant prose and searing emotional depth, award-winning poet Jason Mott explores timeless questions of faith and morality, love and responsibility. A spellbinding and stunning debut, The Returned is an unforgettable story that marks the arrival of an important new voice in contemporary fiction.

usmom3
by BJ on Sep. 11, 2013 at 4:38 PM

Our whole family is reading The Fire Chronicle (The Books of Beginning #2)

I am listening to the audiobook of  Safe Haven

by
paganbaby
by Silver Member on Sep. 11, 2013 at 4:54 PM

Zombie Survival Guide,lol. I read all my other kindle books thrice. I really need to get some reading material.

paganbaby
by Silver Member on Sep. 11, 2013 at 4:55 PM

That gave me chills!

Quoting Bleacheddecay:

I'm reading The Returned by Jason Mott. There is a new fall TV show based on it.

"Jacob was time out of sync, time more perfect than it had been. He was life the way it was supposed to be all those years ago. That's what all the Returned were."  

Harold and Lucille Hargrave's lives have been both joyful and sorrowful in the decades since their only son, Jacob, died tragically at his eighth birthday party in 1966. In their old age they've settled comfortably into life without him, their wounds tempered through the grace of time…. Until one day Jacob mysteriously appears on their doorstep—flesh and blood, their sweet, precocious child, still eight years old. 

All over the world people's loved ones are returning from beyond. No one knows how or why this is happening, whether it's a miracle or a sign of the end. Not even Harold and Lucille can agree on whether the boy is real or a wondrous imitation, but one thing they know for sure: he's their son. As chaos erupts around the globe, the newly reunited Hargrave family finds itself at the center of a community on the brink of collapse, forced to navigate a mysterious new reality and a conflict that threatens to unravel the very meaning of what it is to be human. 

With spare, elegant prose and searing emotional depth, award-winning poet Jason Mott explores timeless questions of faith and morality, love and responsibility. A spellbinding and stunning debut, The Returned is an unforgettable story that marks the arrival of an important new voice in contemporary fiction.

Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Breastfeeding tickers

coala
by Silver Member on Sep. 11, 2013 at 5:07 PM

I am currently reading The Resolution for Woman, and How to Raise Respectful Children in a Self Absorbed World.  Both books have been amazing for me and helping me to open up to my own faults and become a better mom and partner.

Bleacheddecay
by Bronze Member on Sep. 11, 2013 at 5:49 PM

In a good way or a bad way?

Quoting paganbaby:

That gave me chills!

Quoting Bleacheddecay:

paganbaby
by Silver Member on Sep. 11, 2013 at 5:53 PM
1 mom liked this

Good way for sure :-)

Quoting Bleacheddecay:

In a good way or a bad way?

Quoting paganbaby:

That gave me chills!

Quoting Bleacheddecay:

Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Breastfeeding tickers

Uniquecoolio
by on Sep. 11, 2013 at 9:32 PM
Women in red weather. Great read!
Saphira1207
by Member on Sep. 11, 2013 at 9:39 PM

Re-reading the Inheritance Cycle books, already re-read Harry Potter, will probably move on to some classics I have like Lysistropa, Frankenstein (original) and Aesops fables.  Want to invest in copies of To kill a Mockingbird and A Tale of Two Cities, not just for me but also for my kids for our classes.  I also need to read up on the regulations for starting a grocery store in WV, and I want to re-read my Tarot books.

gummibear
by Member on Sep. 11, 2013 at 9:56 PM
1 mom liked this

I am re-reading The Black Jewel series by Anne Bishop.

I love them. This is what Amazon says about the first one...

Anne Bishop's debut novel, Daughter of the Blood, is like black coffee--strong, dark, and hard on delicate stomachs. Within the Blood (a race of magic-users), women rule and men serve, but tradition has been corrupted so that women enslave men, who seek to destroy their oppressors. Female children are violated before they can reach maturity; men are tortured and forced to satisfy witches' sexual appetites.

Bishop's child heroine, Jaenelle, is destined to rule the Blood, if she can reach adulthood. Her power is hidden; her family believes her mad. Saetan, High Lord of Hell and most powerful of the Blood males, becomes Jaenelle's surrogate father and teacher. He cannot protect her outside Hell, where he rules. She refuses to leave Terreille, risking herself to protect or heal other victims of violence. Can Daemon, Saetan's estranged son, keep her safe from the machinations of the evil High Priestess? Or will he lose his battle to control his destructive urges and endanger her?

Readers may find some aspects of Bishop's world confusing; not least that most of the good guys live in Hell. But her protagonists are compelling, sympathetic characters who overcome terrible adversity

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)