Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Sleepy teens :-/

Posted by on Sep. 11, 2013 at 3:53 PM
  • 10 Replies
I home school my teen girls. Problem is, they won't get up in the morning! I run the vacuum, the blender, tv, and so on. They won't wake up! Does anyone go through this? Do you just do school later, or do you stick with an early morning schedule? I find that I just keep going with academics later in to the afternoon. Looking for advice....anyone?
by on Sep. 11, 2013 at 3:53 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Silverkitty
by Bronze Member on Sep. 11, 2013 at 3:57 PM

My daughter is 12 and I've had this problem since she was little.  As a family we do not do want to do anything before 10.  So I let her sleep in until 9 - 9:30 and we start school at 10.  It works well for us.

paganbaby
by Silver Member on Sep. 11, 2013 at 4:30 PM

I have a feeling I'm going to have the same issue with 13yo dd. I'm thinking because most of her work is independent, I'll just let her sleep as long as she likes then have her do her work and chores before computer or friends.

Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Breastfeeding tickers

usmom3
by BJ on Sep. 11, 2013 at 4:32 PM

This WEBSITE might help you understand why your daughters are sleeping so late. It is from the sleep foundation website.

bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on Sep. 11, 2013 at 5:33 PM

Many teens begin to sleep late.  The great thing about homeschooling is that you can tailor their education to fit them.  Many teens change their entire sleep routine and become major night owls.  When they are in PS, you will often see a huge drop in the grades of the classes they have first period.  I've seen it many times, so I would let them sleep in. 

How late are they sleeping?  I mean I would be reasonable, I still wouldn't let them sleep until afternoon every day, but Sleeping in is perfectly normal teen behavior.

Leissaintexas
by Bronze Member on Sep. 11, 2013 at 5:58 PM
Teens are going through more changes than at any other time besides the toddler years. So it makes sense that they need as much sleep as toddlers. Mine is more focused late in the day, so she frequently does her work after lunch or even during the evening.
craftyzenmom
by Member on Sep. 11, 2013 at 6:41 PM

My boys are 13 and often sleep in past 8.....I have seen that their pattern of sleep directly correlates a growth jump, either physically or mentally. I let them snooze and then we work around the schedule. Our air is really bad right now from the Yosemite Fire and it's heating up again to the low 100's. So, heat and bad air both make it harder to sleep at night too.

coala
by Silver Member on Sep. 11, 2013 at 7:22 PM

Teens need almost as much sleep at toddlers.....nearly 10 hours some need more.  As long as they aren't sleeping til noon then I don't see a problem with them sleeping in.  My kids don't really like to get going until mid morning...around 10 and they are 5 and 7.

collinsmommy0
by Member on Sep. 11, 2013 at 7:28 PM
I'm so afraid of this when Ds hits kinder & we have actual work to do - our family doesn't seem to get anything done until about 10 am & that's with me pushing everyone (including DH, who leaves for work at 10) to get moving (& by that I mean wake up, eat breakfast, put on clothes, etc). DS is only 2!

Quoting coala:

Teens need almost as much sleep at toddlers.....nearly 10 hours some need more.  As long as they aren't sleeping til noon then I don't see a problem with them sleeping in.  My kids don't really like to get going until mid morning...around 10 and they are 5 and 7.

collinsmommy0
by Member on Sep. 11, 2013 at 7:29 PM
Oh also as a teenager I usually slept in until 10-11 am whenever possible - but I went to ps so I had to be up at 6 to catch the bus. I never remembered anything from my first few classes in the morning & often had to reread my assignments in order to actually learn anything
irvinehiker
by Andrea on Sep. 11, 2013 at 8:20 PM
My kids are10 & 12 and they are not early to rise. They use to be and then we got rid of bedtimes about six months ago. I wouldnt worry about it and I wouldnt force them to wake up. Schooling can be done at anytime.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)