Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Magic School Bus DVDs - what say you?

Posted by on Sep. 11, 2013 at 6:37 PM
  • 13 Replies

What do you think? Did your kids like them? Did you like them? Anything you didn't like?

by on Sep. 11, 2013 at 6:37 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on Sep. 11, 2013 at 6:43 PM

I may get bashed for this one, but i won't let the kids do the magic school bus or anything that paints an impossible image of the public school system.  How cool would it be if public schools had that many field trips and that cool of a teacher, right? But my middle really had this false idea that school was like that, and like Sid the Science Kid, and many other of those depictions of school.

Lynette
by Member on Sep. 11, 2013 at 7:11 PM
1 mom liked this
Normally I agree. But Magic School Bus is my exception. Love it!

Quoting bluerooffarm:

I may get bashed for this one, but i won't let the kids do the magic school bus or anything that paints an impossible image of the public school system.  How cool would it be if public schools had that many field trips and that cool of a teacher, right? But my middle really had this false idea that school was like that, and like Sid the Science Kid, and many other of those depictions of school.

ablackdolphin
by Bronze Member on Sep. 11, 2013 at 7:22 PM
1 mom liked this

Good to know, I hadn't even thought of that.  I'm going to have to ponder that for a bit.

Quoting bluerooffarm:

JATomlinson
by on Sep. 11, 2013 at 7:33 PM

My Kindergartener loves them.  I choose episodes that focus on what we're learning at the time, like digestion, or germs, or other similar things, and we use them to introduce her to a topic or suppliment what we're learning.  Also, if I tell her that something on TV is 'not real' or is 'fake' she believes me, so if it ever becomes an issue with her asking to go to school for all of the field trips, I'll tell her that public school is not like that.  Also, our homeschool group recently decided to do fieldtrips, so she will be getting to go on some with other kids :)

usmom3
by BJ on Sep. 11, 2013 at 8:18 PM
1 mom liked this

I worried about that too when my children where younger but now that they are 8 & 10 I have explained to them that that is not how it is & have even shown them videos that can be found on YouTube that shows a day in the life of a student. So they know that it is not like that in "real" school. That said I love love love the Magic School Bus & we own the entire series & my children watch it with joy.

Quoting bluerooffarm:

HappyHomestead
by on Sep. 11, 2013 at 8:20 PM
1 mom liked this
We watch on netflix. We like them.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
oahoah
by Member on Sep. 11, 2013 at 11:42 PM

We like them. Usually we'll read the book and then check out the DVD from the library.

lovelylady83
by Member on Sep. 12, 2013 at 12:12 AM

My daughter is 9 / 4th grade and still begs to watch them... typically I pair the Magic School Bus with Study Jams and some books and experiment kits.

SarahNElijah
by Member on Sep. 12, 2013 at 12:34 AM
1 mom liked this
This exactly!! We love Magic School Bus!!

Quoting Lynette:

Normally I agree. But Magic School Bus is my exception. Love it!

Quoting bluerooffarm:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
debramommyof4
by Silver Member on Sep. 12, 2013 at 1:39 AM

I love them.  My kids love them.  Even my 3 year old watches them.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)