Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

getting ready to throw in the towel..... so to speak (LONG)

Posted by on Sep. 11, 2013 at 8:26 PM
  • 10 Replies

Ok so 1st off im new in the group and also new to hs.. My fiance is a road worker and so we decided at the end of last school yr we would try hs'ing so we could travel with him... Giving the kids a chance to see different states and places that they normally wouldnt see ya know... so some background on the kiddos...ds is 12 has extreme adhd, has nervous disorder, they tested him at high functioning asbugers but wouldnt give him the actual diagnose saying that if his mood disorder was controlled maybe the asbergers would be also... He is extreme dyzleaia(sp?) he has been in resource classes since 2nd grade and full resource class last yr in 6th grade... he reads on about a 1-2grade level and about 3-4grade level on everything else besides general knowledge he is advanced in... now my dd is 9 and was suppose to start 4th grade this yr and right on target for everything and actually advanced in reading... 

soooo... when we started hs'ing i took my ds down to the 4th grade stuff that dd would be doing trying to catch him up which is ok to a point i still have to read the english to him and help him stay on task alot which is ok also...  so far we have went over place value, rounding, reviewed add and subtraction, started money, started multiplication in math... in english we have done nouns, action verbs, adverbs (which didnt go over so well lol) punctuation, spelling words, in science and social studies we havent done much of anything im basically stumped as what to start.. i do have some stuff on planets for science and some stuff over the 3 branches of government but its not going over so well..... Im not using any certain program im basically finding stuff online and doing what i think they should be learning...  im almost to the point that i want to go back home get a house and put them back in school.. help i want to stay on the road and teach my children but i also do NOT want to spend tons of money on programs.. which doing an actual program is hard for us anyways because we never know where we will be next and it would be hard to have programs mailed to us....

btw we are based out of arkansas because that was the last ps they attended.. and i know in ar there is no certain rules of what to teach or how much or anything like that just that i had to fill out paper work and give to school which i did and then they will need to take the standardized test at end of yr but it wont count against them just to not count them truant....  

ladies i know this is LONG but i really need some help in figuring this out..

btw we do mostly worksheets, discussions and some videos....                     shruggingsimple frown

by on Sep. 11, 2013 at 8:26 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
AutymsMommy
by Silver Member on Sep. 11, 2013 at 9:04 PM
1 mom liked this

Okay. It is WAY too early to make an assessment on whether or not this is working for your family. The first year or two is always the toughest - you're still finding your own footing and discovering HOW your children best learn and, frankly, it may not be with the method you're using.

Are you using a program for dyslexics (I assume that is what you spelled - your ds' diagnosis/learning difference?)? Dyslexics need specific types of instructions, generally using an orton gillingham program of some sort - they can't just learn the way you want them to, no matter how much you try. MOST dyslexics need very specific teaching for phonics, grammar, spelling, and writing (and yes, most of those programs do cost a bit), and frequently in math to help with the working memory problems that come with dyslexia (sometimes come with, though not always).

No matter how great the resources you're pulling off the internet, if your kiddos (especially your learning disabled kiddo) don't learn that way, it isn't going to do you a lick of good, frankly.

I am a Home Schooling, Vaccinating, Non spanking, Nightmare Cuddling, Dessert Giving, Bedtime Kissing, Book Reading, Stay at Home Mom. I believe in the benefit of organized after school activities and nosy, involved parents. I believe in spoiling my children. I believe that I have seen the village and I do not want it anywhere near my children. Now for the controversial stuff:  we're Catholic, we're conservative, and we own guns (now there's no need to ask, lol).             Aimee

usmom3
by BJ on Sep. 11, 2013 at 9:12 PM
2 moms liked this

If I where in your situation what I would do is theme everything around where you are at the time. If you are in New Mexico learn about the state & some of its history. Read books about it or written by people that are from there. Use your travel time between places to do the worksheets & seat work that you want them to do & the time that you are in your location to explore & do field trips.

bldjrs123
by Member on Sep. 11, 2013 at 10:25 PM

well i really hadnt thought bout it that way his dyslexic only seems to really affect his reading of any sort he can do the math and even knows the english stuff as long as its read to him.... I just dont want them to get to far behind in case we decide in a yr or so to settle down somewhere and then put them back in school seeing how they will test them to see what grade level they should be in.. that i think is my main concern.. that and i dont want the ex and his family thinking or believing that im not teaching enough or not teaching them what they should be learning... as of right now both kids average a high B in english and ds a high B in math and dd a high A in math.... and like i said so far in science and social studies we havent done much because im kind of lost on where to begin... to me math english reading and writing are the most important to learn... but if they go back to ps they have to know it all ya know

Quoting AutymsMommy:

Okay. It is WAY too early to make an assessment on whether or not this is working for your family. The first year or two is always the toughest - you're still finding your own footing and discovering HOW your children best learn and, frankly, it may not be with the method you're using.

Are you using a program for dyslexics (I assume that is what you spelled - your ds' diagnosis/learning difference?)? Dyslexics need specific types of instructions, generally using an orton gillingham program of some sort - they can't just learn the way you want them to, no matter how much you try. MOST dyslexics need very specific teaching for phonics, grammar, spelling, and writing (and yes, most of those programs do cost a bit), and frequently in math to help with the working memory problems that come with dyslexia (sometimes come with, though not always).

No matter how great the resources you're pulling off the internet, if your kiddos (especially your learning disabled kiddo) don't learn that way, it isn't going to do you a lick of good, frankly.

AutymsMommy
by Silver Member on Sep. 11, 2013 at 10:35 PM
OK. You really need to consider a dyslexia specific program for him. Also, you said in your post that English ISN'T going well, but here you said it's fine?

Quoting bldjrs123:

well i really hadnt thought bout it that way his dyslexic only seems to really affect his reading of any sort he can do the math and even knows the english stuff as long as its read to him.... I just dont want them to get to far behind in case we decide in a yr or so to settle down somewhere and then put them back in school seeing how they will test them to see what grade level they should be in.. that i think is my main concern.. that and i dont want the ex and his family thinking or believing that im not teaching enough or not teaching them what they should be learning... as of right now both kids average a high B in english and ds a high B in math and dd a high A in math.... and like i said so far in science and social studies we havent done much because im kind of lost on where to begin... to me math english reading and writing are the most important to learn... but if they go back to ps they have to know it all ya know

Quoting AutymsMommy:

paganbaby
by Silver Member on Sep. 11, 2013 at 10:38 PM

That sounds like a great plan!

Quoting usmom3:

If I where in your situation what I would do is theme everything around where you are at the time. If you are in New Mexico learn about the state & some of its history. Read books about it or written by people that are from there. Use your travel time between places to do the worksheets & seat work that you want them to do & the time that you are in your location to explore & do field trips.

Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Breastfeeding tickers

bldjrs123
by Member on Sep. 11, 2013 at 10:44 PM

ill start looking in to something like that for him... no english usually goes over fairly easy it was just the adverbs neither of them grasped to easy im going to go back over them after we do some pronouns and etc and see if they can catch it a little better...

Quoting AutymsMommy:

OK. You really need to consider a dyslexia specific program for him. Also, you said in your post that English ISN'T going well, but here you said it's fine?

Quoting bldjrs123:

Quoting AutymsMommy:

mem82
by Platinum Member on Sep. 12, 2013 at 10:06 AM

Do you guys live out of a hotel and do you guys move every week or what? I'm just trying to figure out what kind of suggestions to make. 8)

bldjrs123
by Member on Sep. 12, 2013 at 10:23 AM

yes normally we are in a hotel unless we can find a small apt thats furnished with utilities and furniture like we have on the last two jobs... the jobs very on length so far its been a few weeks to bout month and half at each job... like right now we are back in ar not far from where were from and we will b here a couple months but then again we never know how long we really will be in one place or the next.... since may we have drove threw 13 states and been on jobs in 5 of those states

its mostly science and social studies im having a problem figuring out... i know we will do solar system and 3 branches of goverment  because i already have all that together but from there IDK lol

Quoting mem82:

Do you guys live out of a hotel and do you guys move every week or what? I'm just trying to figure out what kind of suggestions to make. 8)

mem82
by Platinum Member on Sep. 12, 2013 at 10:30 AM

A good way to boost both Science and Social Studies would be to use videos on youtube and also visiting places.

Have your kids watch a science experiment on youtube and then have them right out a report or conclusion from it.

Quoting bldjrs123:

yes normally we are in a hotel unless we can find a small apt thats furnished with utilities and furniture like we have on the last two jobs... the jobs very on length so far its been a few weeks to bout month and half at each job... like right now we are back in ar not far from where were from and we will b here a couple months but then again we never know how long we really will be in one place or the next.... since may we have drove threw 13 states and been on jobs in 5 of those states

its mostly science and social studies im having a problem figuring out... i know we will do solar system and 3 branches of goverment  because i already have all that together but from there IDK lol

Quoting mem82:

KrissyKC
by Silver Member on Sep. 12, 2013 at 11:43 AM
Have you considered time4learning.com? Not as primary, but as supplement. You could pick out books at the library that follow the topics in science and social studies. Just pay for one kid and have them both do it. You can even sit with them to help your ld son with the reading and comprehension. It would be as portable as your laptop too. I'd add extra english, maybe stuff made for dislexia. Add in lots of educational games. Add in some madlibs for extra parts of speech practice. Also there is something called story dice. They have pics on them and u roll the dice and make up stories. All kinds of games available like I Have Who Has...
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)