Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

OT (maybe): What is the selection like at your local library?

Posted by on Sep. 11, 2013 at 8:27 PM
  • 27 Replies

I just spent some time poking around with our local library (it spans our entire county which is pretty large) and find that it seems to be lacking since I was a child.  I was an avid reader and my kids are doing the same thing.  My oldest was difficult at first, but she is REALLY enjoying reading.  She has found a couple series that she is interested in, but I can't even find book one.  I was searching and found the Babysitter's Little Sisters Club and the first book I was able to locate in the series in book 6.  With Pony Pals....I was able to locate book 7.  What is up with this?  I can only buy them online I can't even rent them from Amazon.  We are just delving into Magic Treehouse....I'm not sold on it, but she read a book in 2 days.  I am really disgusted with the shape of my actualy library.

How are your local libraries when it comes to regular books and series of books?

by on Sep. 11, 2013 at 8:27 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
SusanTheWriter
by on Sep. 11, 2013 at 8:32 PM

My local library is small, but decently stocked. I get the most use out of it by wearing out the Request feature online so I know they can have the books delivered to the library for me to pick up.

There's also a larger library in the next town up (an extra 5 min the other direction), so it's better for browsing the shelves.

And I'd prefer Magic Tree House over Pony Pals and Babysitter's Club books, too!

candiedgala
by on Sep. 11, 2013 at 8:34 PM
Our library does free interlibrary loans with all the other libraries in the city, so it's like having six libraries. I find the selection excellent, but not at the library nearest me, so we have to wait three days or so for our requests to come.

I have found that they often don't replace books when they get ruined, so books tend to be missing from older series.
Dawn07
by Bronze Member on Sep. 11, 2013 at 8:41 PM
Small and not the best. I've read almost all the adult books and that was before they downsized it to add a hang out area. They never have the books I'm looking for either.
coala
by Silver Member on Sep. 11, 2013 at 8:42 PM

We have a main library downtown and about 14 smaller branches located around the county.  It is a county run library.....it used to be so good.  I'm getting so diappointed with them as my kids get older and want to read more stuff.  They do deliver if I find something that we want to order.  They will even take back books that we have...it is awesome that they have this service.

Quoting candiedgala:

Our library does free interlibrary loans with all the other libraries in the city, so it's like having six libraries. I find the selection excellent, but not at the library nearest me, so we have to wait three days or so for our requests to come.

I have found that they often don't replace books when they get ruined, so books tend to be missing from older series.

RatherBeReading
by on Sep. 11, 2013 at 8:47 PM

The local (in our town) library is just ok....I honestly do not know the last time they got new kids books though. They do not have much of a budget. The "local" system spans 3 counties. However, it is part of a state wide loan system, so I can get pretty much any book that I want, from libraries all over South Carolina. I love it so much! 

usmom3
by BJ on Sep. 11, 2013 at 8:54 PM

We have a great library system the only thing I would like to see changed is I would love to see new children books added to the e-book side of it more then I do now!

Ecoseem
by Member on Sep. 11, 2013 at 8:57 PM

We have a pretty good sized library, but I haven't had a chance to really check out much other than the adults section and the picture book section yet.

oahoah
by Member on Sep. 11, 2013 at 11:35 PM

Ours is limited but we have a wonderful state-wide loan program. We have several branches nearby so if need be I could drive a few extra miles to get a book; most of the time I request books they end up coming from a newer branch farther away than I'd care to drive.  I just heard of an online library, you pay a yearly fee and get books shipped to you but can't remember the name, you might be able to look into something like that.

Chasing3
by Bronze Member on Sep. 12, 2013 at 7:22 AM

I guess I figured our was good. I can go on-line and do a serch for all the libraries in the north-of-boston area and have a book from another library brought to my library and get it out, which I do often.

I have a place near me called UsedBookSuperstore. I go there often too. Books are anywhere from like 99¢ to a few dollars. We've gotten tons of kids' books there.

hwblyf
by Silver Member on Sep. 12, 2013 at 7:25 AM

I love the library we go to, which is in the next town over (next county).  The closest one for our county, I don't like it.  I went when it first opened, and my impression was that it was overly "grand" (tall, soaring ceilings that my tax dollars will heat), HUGE spaces, TONS of movies, and book shelves that were woefully underfilled.  But gorgeous to look at, which I guess is important in a library?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN