Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

OT (maybe): What is the selection like at your local library?

Posted by   + Show Post

I just spent some time poking around with our local library (it spans our entire county which is pretty large) and find that it seems to be lacking since I was a child.  I was an avid reader and my kids are doing the same thing.  My oldest was difficult at first, but she is REALLY enjoying reading.  She has found a couple series that she is interested in, but I can't even find book one.  I was searching and found the Babysitter's Little Sisters Club and the first book I was able to locate in the series in book 6.  With Pony Pals....I was able to locate book 7.  What is up with this?  I can only buy them online I can't even rent them from Amazon.  We are just delving into Magic Treehouse....I'm not sold on it, but she read a book in 2 days.  I am really disgusted with the shape of my actualy library.

How are your local libraries when it comes to regular books and series of books?

by on Sep. 11, 2013 at 8:27 PM
Replies (11-20):
buckeyetravels
by on Sep. 12, 2013 at 7:28 AM

Small.  Old videos (like Mouse and the Motorcycle).  Not a great selection of reading material.  I haven't come across any DVDs and as far as I've seen they no longer have those tape books anymore.

mem82
by Platinum Member on Sep. 12, 2013 at 9:58 AM

Columbus has a nationally recognized library so we are really lucky. If we can't find a book at the branch close to us, it is in one of the 20 branches around us. They'll ship it in 3 days.

mem82
by Platinum Member on Sep. 12, 2013 at 9:59 AM

Wow! That is small.

Quoting buckeyetravels:

Small.  Old videos (like Mouse and the Motorcycle).  Not a great selection of reading material.  I haven't come across any DVDs and as far as I've seen they no longer have those tape books anymore.

TJandKarasMom
by Debbie on Sep. 12, 2013 at 11:06 AM
Our library is acceptable I guess. But we request a lot of books and we have like an agreement or something with a bunch of libraries in our state, so there is a van that ships the books from library to library. So we do an inter library loan, it can take a couple weeks to get a book but we can usually find the books we want that way.

Our library does have a ton of the series like Babysitters Club and MTH, Goosebumps...as well as bigger kids series like the Last Dragon Chronicals and Harry Potter. I'm pretty happy with it. My ex husband told me a library in the next town over from me has a HUGE selection especially for kids, so we will have to take a day to go there and see it.
firehorse13
by on Sep. 12, 2013 at 11:10 AM

We are fortunate enough to live about 5 blocks from an amazing library.  We have a University close, so our library is open long hours.  It's stocked amazingly well, and also has an interlibrary loan system.  They also have an awesome website with a ton of ebooks, audiobooks, dvd's and other media.  

Joann.HS
by on Sep. 12, 2013 at 11:16 PM
Can't complain. It's pretty spectacular.
bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on Sep. 13, 2013 at 8:31 AM

Our "local" library is over half an hour drive away, it is only for people inside the "city" limits all others must buy a card, and their staff is pitiful.  I stopped buying cards for us when I had DS3.  They only allow 4 books per card, and when you are checking out kids' books 4 doesn't get you the whole week.  It was $35 per card/ per year.  Oh yeah, and I have a better selection than they do.

coala
by Silver Member on Sep. 13, 2013 at 11:00 PM

You know its bad when you have a better selection than the library.  We have a pretty good selection here at the hosue from what I was able to find at Goodwill.  Children's books are 39 cents.  I go on huge spending sprees at good will and come home with bags of books and only spend $10.  It is fun.  We are just entering a phase where we are running out of books in the reading level of my oldest.  She is on par for her grade and her sister is well above her so I have books that go up to about a 6th grade reading level, but not much in the 2nd and 3rd grade area.

I'm glad to see that we aren't the only ones who feel like we are lacking with our library system.  It was amazing when I was a kid, but it is just quickly becoming a problem trying to locate books that I want for them without having to pay full price to buy it.

Quoting bluerooffarm:

Our "local" library is over half an hour drive away, it is only for people inside the "city" limits all others must buy a card, and their staff is pitiful.  I stopped buying cards for us when I had DS3.  They only allow 4 books per card, and when you are checking out kids' books 4 doesn't get you the whole week.  It was $35 per card/ per year.  Oh yeah, and I have a better selection than they do.

kmath
by Silver Member on Sep. 13, 2013 at 11:51 PM

Mine is ok.  Some series they have the first one, some series they don't.  We are out in the country though, so it is a pretty good library for this area!  So far we have managed to find what we needed without too many problems.  DS doesn't seem to care if he reads a series in order anyway.  He got book 1 and book 6 of The Last Jedi series today, lol. 

lucsch
by on Sep. 13, 2013 at 11:57 PM

We are so lucky. Our library system is large, with numerous branches and lots of books. Even some of the older "better"ccchildren's literature is available, albeit sometimes in storage.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)