Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

OT (maybe): What is the selection like at your local library?

Posted by   + Show Post

I just spent some time poking around with our local library (it spans our entire county which is pretty large) and find that it seems to be lacking since I was a child.  I was an avid reader and my kids are doing the same thing.  My oldest was difficult at first, but she is REALLY enjoying reading.  She has found a couple series that she is interested in, but I can't even find book one.  I was searching and found the Babysitter's Little Sisters Club and the first book I was able to locate in the series in book 6.  With Pony Pals....I was able to locate book 7.  What is up with this?  I can only buy them online I can't even rent them from Amazon.  We are just delving into Magic Treehouse....I'm not sold on it, but she read a book in 2 days.  I am really disgusted with the shape of my actualy library.

How are your local libraries when it comes to regular books and series of books?

by on Sep. 11, 2013 at 8:27 PM
Replies (21-27):
ablackdolphin
by Bronze Member on Sep. 14, 2013 at 2:38 PM
Amazing!!!! We have access tobabout ten libraries. I currently have 75 items checked out!! I checkout online they pull it snd notify me when it is ready to pick up it takes three min to checkout I love it!!!! Lots of dvds read along and beg reader books
bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on Sep. 14, 2013 at 7:57 PM

I'm a book hoarder.  I also taught 6,7, 8, 9, and 10th graders over the years, so I have lots of books from nearly all reading levels.

Quoting coala:

You know its bad when you have a better selection than the library.  We have a pretty good selection here at the hosue from what I was able to find at Goodwill.  Children's books are 39 cents.  I go on huge spending sprees at good will and come home with bags of books and only spend $10.  It is fun.  We are just entering a phase where we are running out of books in the reading level of my oldest.  She is on par for her grade and her sister is well above her so I have books that go up to about a 6th grade reading level, but not much in the 2nd and 3rd grade area.

I'm glad to see that we aren't the only ones who feel like we are lacking with our library system.  It was amazing when I was a kid, but it is just quickly becoming a problem trying to locate books that I want for them without having to pay full price to buy it.

Quoting bluerooffarm:

Our "local" library is over half an hour drive away, it is only for people inside the "city" limits all others must buy a card, and their staff is pitiful.  I stopped buying cards for us when I had DS3.  They only allow 4 books per card, and when you are checking out kids' books 4 doesn't get you the whole week.  It was $35 per card/ per year.  Oh yeah, and I have a better selection than they do.

ripemango
by Member on Sep. 14, 2013 at 9:33 PM

our local libraries aren't that good. They aren't even open on the weekends and close @ 5 during the week. However, all of the libraries in our county will send whatever you want to your local library. We reserve stuff online this way all of the time and have acccess to anything we can come up with.

We often attend library events in towns other than our own.

I don't know where the sunbeams end and the starlights begin; it's all a mystery.

BatMom.
by on Sep. 14, 2013 at 9:37 PM
The library in town is terrible. But my Son has His own personal library at home (He has a ton of books; we buy books often, for all of us), so no need to go, anyway!
twyliatepeka
by Bronze Member on Sep. 15, 2013 at 1:03 AM

Ours is small & compared to most STINKS but it works so I am not going to complain much.

NYCitymomx3
by Bronze Member on Sep. 15, 2013 at 7:59 AM

There are more than 60 library branches in my 109 sq. mile county.   If I can't find something in one I'll head to another.  From what I've experienced, the libraries are well stocked, active, have and use lots of new technology, and have great classes and clubs for kids and adults.

oredeb
by on Sep. 15, 2013 at 6:10 PM

real good, big huge main library in the city and we can get any books we want at our little libraries. never had a problem with not being able to get any book adn its all modern

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN