Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Home School v/s Government At Home School Programs

Posted by on Sep. 12, 2013 at 12:31 AM
  • 8 Replies

http://www.largefamiliesonpurpose.com/2013/05/government-school-at-home-programsco.html

Just an FYI I am passing on...Oh, it is a Christian View article.  (I do realize that not all homeschoolers are Christians--but it's still good information and comparison of the two for your own research should you have been thinking about participating in a program as such).

by on Sep. 12, 2013 at 12:31 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
mem82
by Platinum Member on Sep. 12, 2013 at 10:02 AM

Thanks for Posting! I will read it at lunch.

energygirl
by Member on Sep. 12, 2013 at 11:36 AM

interesting article...  reinforces to me the reasons why our family is choosing not to use a government program.......

lucsch
by on Sep. 12, 2013 at 11:47 AM
1 mom liked this

So many of the reasons I homeschool are against the curriculum used in public school. Plus, having teachers oversee what we are doing is not something I want.

bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on Sep. 12, 2013 at 3:15 PM

I do not believe the cyber schools are a Trojan Horse.  I think we all need to be very supportive of all choices that families enjoy.  All children and all families are different.  There are people who thrive in the gov't funded cyber-schools.  They are not for my family, but they should be available for the people who need that kind of structure and who need someone else choosing the curiculum.  They should be there for the families that think they cannot do it on their own.  Many people use them as a way to get their feet wet with this hs thing. 

romacox
by Silver Member on Sep. 12, 2013 at 3:57 PM
2 moms liked this

There are many "school in a box" programs that are not subsidized, and controlled  by the government, but they do cost.  Some parents just cannot afford the cost.  So no one here would condemn a parent for starting out with a government funded program which is also mandatory Common Core in many cases. 

But we also need to be honest.  Government has for  many years repeatedly looked down on, and tried to regulate home education so as to make it in the image and likeness of the government run schools.  As for  Trojan  Horse, well history indicates  that it is a very real possibility....

Government-Subsidized Home School Programs: Will Home Educators Dodge This Bullet> 

Home School Legal Defense Association on This Matter

Judge Napolitano explains how States lost control in a very similar manner.

Leissaintexas
by Bronze Member on Sep. 12, 2013 at 4:41 PM

My first year to homeschool, I looked into K12, not knowing it was public school. I thought it was amazing that I could get all that cool stuff for free! I almost fell for it. As a newbie, I didn't realize that they use the free stuff as bait and don't tell you that you still have government regulation. Well, the whole reason I was wanting to homeschool was to keep "them" out of my home. I didn't care what it would cost me, or how hard it was to do it on my own, dh and I decided that we would do whatever we had to do to school on our own. I just don't get how parents can be so willing to allow government interference.

romacox
by Silver Member on Sep. 12, 2013 at 5:13 PM

I don't think everyone realizes how much regulation is involved until after the fact. Also  I don't think that matters to everyone as much as it  does to some.  However it is important they know the facts about the program.  Then it is their choice. 

After all, the beauty of home school is the parent's freedom to choose.  We are not regulators, but do strive to provide information. 

Quoting Leissaintexas:

My first year to homeschool, I looked into K12, not knowing it was public school. I thought it was amazing that I could get all that cool stuff for free! I almost fell for it. As a newbie, I didn't realize that they use the free stuff as bait and don't tell you that you still have government regulation. Well, the whole reason I was wanting to homeschool was to keep "them" out of my home. I didn't care what it would cost me, or how hard it was to do it on my own, dh and I decided that we would do whatever we had to do to school on our own. I just don't get how parents can be so willing to allow government interference.

MacMamaof5
by on Sep. 13, 2013 at 9:58 AM
2 moms liked this

You ladies give some very intelligent and well rounded answers.  Yes, some folks do need a way to get their feet wet, and we don't condemn them.  But, it is very important that they are educated thoroughly about what they are getting into because most don't know it is a government regulated program.  They just make it sound really nice on T.V. and dress it up like it's just Christmas time for your family.  Perhaps if they knew, they'd go ahead and spend the money--or like us and many families, find a way to still budget what your family really needs and what can be delayed, or research other free (local library) or minimal costs (borrowing/craigslist/etc) resources offered. But NOTHING government is for free.  Free items costs a piece of your freedom and my whole point of posting is simply to EDUCATE.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)