Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschool Blues

Posted by on Sep. 12, 2013 at 10:23 AM
  • 9 Replies

I know the school year for us just started, but I feel like I am not pulling my weight as my son's teacher.  I have been reviewing multiplication, nouns and the bill of rights with him to get started.  He seems to have issues with the whole nouns/pronouns capitalization thing, so I have started from the beginning with that.  I gave him a test to see if what I taught him about the bill of rights was something he understood, but obviously I failed him there....feeling like oh no am I going to make this child fall back....Doing much better with 3/4 digit multiplication.  Trying to figure out what curriculum's I want to order.  He doesn't like being in class on line. Not to mention I work full time and my other child is in private school.  Feeling very overwhelmed today :-(

celebrityMommy and Her Boys!

by on Sep. 12, 2013 at 10:23 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
mem82
by Platinum Member on Sep. 12, 2013 at 10:33 AM

*hugs* I"m sorry!

Sometimes, depending on the child's age, testing won't tell you what they know. Maybe go over the Bill of Rights and then write out your own house Bill of Rights just for fun. Or write out the Bill of Rights but add in some and see if he can circle the real ones.

mem82
by Platinum Member on Sep. 12, 2013 at 10:36 AM

multiplication tables is just one of those things you have to go over and over. It's rote memorization. There's nothing you can really do except drill him if he isn't one of the lucky one's that can memorize them easily. Don't be afraid to teach him the finger tricks to doing multiplication. No shame in that. LOL

mommyandtwoboys
by on Sep. 12, 2013 at 10:38 AM
1 mom liked this

Thanks so much! I told him that we would go over them in a different way next week and I will give him a different test to see how he does and he said okay.  He is such a sweet child.  Pulled him out of school because of bullying and being disrespected by both students and adults, so I have been rebuilding his self-esteem and pride so I don't want to knock that out of him again. 

mommyandtwoboys
by on Sep. 12, 2013 at 10:49 AM

I bought the chart that shows him and also flash cards.  He is just not one of those who does anything "fast". He takes his time with everything and I mean everything lol.  He is very analytical and everything has to have a reason with him. I'm learning patience....

AutymsMommy
by Silver Member on Sep. 12, 2013 at 11:45 AM

I'm sorry you're feeling overwhelmed; it sounds like you have a lot on your plate!

Insofar as your Bill of Rights issue goes - remember that at this age, history and social studies isn't meant to be MASTERED... you just want exposure, so that when he's reintroduced later to do these things (like late middle school or high school), he'll be able to retrieve anything he DID possibly retain, and it sparks his interest.

It'll get better :)

I am a Home Schooling, Vaccinating, Non spanking, Nightmare Cuddling, Dessert Giving, Bedtime Kissing, Book Reading, Stay at Home Mom. I believe in the benefit of organized after school activities and nosy, involved parents. I believe in spoiling my children. I believe that I have seen the village and I do not want it anywhere near my children. Now for the controversial stuff:  we're Catholic, we're conservative, and we own guns (now there's no need to ask, lol).             Aimee

mommyandtwoboys
by on Sep. 12, 2013 at 1:03 PM

Thanks Aimee.  I'm trying to stay positive! Thanks everyone for support!

marrionsmommy
by Member on Sep. 12, 2013 at 1:26 PM
1 mom liked this
Make him a montessori multiplication math out of a bath mat and beads. Super easy and hands on not hard to figure out how to make and easy for the kids to understand. I would take the bill of rights and cut it into chunks and worry about explaining each piece till he understands etc good luck
mommyandtwoboys
by on Sep. 12, 2013 at 3:08 PM

He has his multiplication facts down, but he when he is doing like 654X37 he gets mixed up after carrying.  I told him the cross out the number he has carried once he added it, that way he won't get confused.  I think I'm just so frantic because I'm the teacher, principal and PTO and everything else.  I believe it will work, I'm trying to calm my nerves so I don't make him nervous too.

usmom3
by BJ on Sep. 12, 2013 at 11:26 PM

Finding a new way to do things might help but also take into consideration that he might not be ready to learn that information yet.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)