Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Any good ideas for teaching how to write possessive nouns, singular and plural?

Posted by on Sep. 12, 2013 at 11:01 AM
  • 11 Replies

My son is having trouble with his ( 's) and his (s'). Any ideas besides just doing worksheet after worksheet or whiteboard after whiteboard?

by on Sep. 12, 2013 at 11:01 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
hwblyf
by Silver Member on Sep. 12, 2013 at 11:28 AM

Have you checked pinterest?  It looks like they have a bunch of games and such.  Are you saying he's having a hard time with his plurals and making those possessive?  Because the apostrophe after the s and no following s is just as correct as a second s following the apostrophe:

Summers' Crazy Land
Summers's Crazy Land

It's a matter of preference. 

KrissyKC
by Silver Member on Sep. 12, 2013 at 11:47 AM
Have him create a chart. Every day add two or three new words to the appropriate column and discuss briefly examples of when to use each in a sentence. After a few weeks he should be doing it like a breeze and u can stop. Make it on dry erase.... my kids will learn anything on dry erase.
mem82
by Platinum Member on Sep. 12, 2013 at 12:09 PM

He's having trouble with this:

single: A boy's dog ran to the fence.

plural: The boys' dog ran to their dad's car.

I tend to be more of a traditionalist when it comes to things like this. I am a firm believer in the Oxford comma and such. LOL

Quoting hwblyf:

Have you checked pinterest?  It looks like they have a bunch of games and such.  Are you saying he's having a hard time with his plurals and making those possessive?  Because the apostrophe after the s and no following s is just as correct as a second s following the apostrophe:

Summers' Crazy Land
Summers's Crazy Land

mem82
by Platinum Member on Sep. 12, 2013 at 12:14 PM

Great idea! Thanks!

Quoting KrissyKC:

Have him create a chart. Every day add two or three new words to the appropriate column and discuss briefly examples of when to use each in a sentence. After a few weeks he should be doing it like a breeze and u can stop. Make it on dry erase.... my kids will learn anything on dry erase.

hwblyf
by Silver Member on Sep. 12, 2013 at 12:22 PM

My husband is ready to drop any friends who don't use the Oxford comma.  Tragically, my dad things they're a complete waste of a comma.  :(

Personally, I'd worry more about it's and its.  I still hate that its is possessive, just like Stephanie's, but doesn't get the apostrophe.

Quoting mem82:

I tend to be more of a traditionalist when it comes to things like this. I am a firm believer in the Oxford comma and such. LOL

Quoting hwblyf:

Summers' Crazy Land
Summers's Crazy Land

mem82
by Platinum Member on Sep. 12, 2013 at 12:26 PM

LOL

My own personal thing is your and you're. Everyone, including myself, switches them sometimes, but it is a slippery slope. lol

Quoting hwblyf:

My husband is ready to drop any friends who don't use the Oxford comma.  Tragically, my dad things they're a complete waste of a comma.  :(

Personally, I'd worry more about it's and its.  I still hate that its is possessive, just like Stephanie's, but doesn't get the apostrophe.

Quoting mem82:

Quoting hwblyf:

Summers' Crazy Land
Summers's Crazy Land

hwblyf
by Silver Member on Sep. 12, 2013 at 12:51 PM

I'm a wee bit of a grammar/spelling police.  And oh, when I make mistakes, I'm soooooo embarrassed!

Quoting mem82:

LOL

My own personal thing is your and you're. Everyone, including myself, switches them sometimes, but it is a slippery slope. lol

Quoting hwblyf:

Quoting mem82:

Quoting hwblyf:

Summers' Crazy Land
Summers's Crazy Land

KrissyKC
by Silver Member on Sep. 12, 2013 at 1:03 PM
When u make a chart leave a big spot to draw it. Like write the sentence you suggested above and write the words boy's dog and boys' dog and have him draw one boy with a dog under the appropriate word and more than one boys with a dog or dogs under THAT word. Have him underline the trouble word in each sentence that shows singular or plural possessive.
bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on Sep. 12, 2013 at 1:45 PM
1 mom liked this

How does he do with subject/verb agreement?  I would have my 9th graders do this:  Add the word Own or Owns in between the words.  Pretend the possessive is a contraction for A (boy owns) car needs brakes.  A boy's car needs brakes.  With a plural noun you would do this:  The (boys own) car goes fast.  The boys' car goes fast.  Since Own doesn't have an s at the end, the contraction doesn't work.

SusanTheWriter
by Bronze Member on Sep. 13, 2013 at 10:48 AM

Try being "SusanTheWriter" and making a grammar mistake in a post. The pressure!

Tell him this: every time he uses an apostrophe to pluralize, a kitten dies.

It sure changed how my kids used an apostrophe! *gg*

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)