Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Do you subscribe to the theory that boys and girls learn differently? In general, obviously.

Posted by on Sep. 12, 2013 at 11:03 AM
  • 20 Replies

There are always exceptions to the rule.

Why or why not?

by on Sep. 12, 2013 at 11:03 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
TJandKarasMom
by Debbie on Sep. 12, 2013 at 11:09 AM
In general I think so. But my kids are backwards. DS learns like a girl and DD learns like a boy. It's weird lol. But DS is just like me in his learning styles and DD is much like my brother (who is dyslexic) even though she is biologically not related to him, lol. I'm guessing her mom has a harder time learning. I have tried having DH tell me ways he learns so I can teach her but she doesn't quite learn the way he does either.
hwblyf
by Silver Member on Sep. 12, 2013 at 11:25 AM
1 mom liked this

I think of it more as personality/child based, not gender based.  But I know that there are a lot of those thoughts, he learns like a girl and she learns like a boy.  So I would assume that predominantly those concepts are true.

lucsch
by on Sep. 12, 2013 at 11:43 AM
2 moms liked this

Only if you believe in stereotypes. I think different " somethings"--I suspect temperaments--account for it. 

I have 3 sons and 1 daughter. My second son and daughter are more alike. Myself and my dh are opposite from the stereotypes. My kids got their mathematical ability from me, while their dad struggled with algebra. This carries over into his daily life. He is the worst problem solver, when he has to think through cause and effect and plan the solution out. He is good in an emergency, as he only ever thinks of one possible solution, while I get caught up in thinking of all the possible solutions.. not so good when the requirement is to act now.

Anyway, this is inborn wiring, a learning/thinking style. More men do tend to be wired like me, not 100%.

marrionsmommy
by on Sep. 12, 2013 at 2:04 PM
If yur kid is a stereotypical boy or girl then yes. My son is a mommys boy so he mimics me in learning (I read therfore he reads lol, I like to do work on he couch so does he etc.)...athletically he is like daddy so he learns his wrestling moves the same way ds does (repetative and action). So with schoolwork he learns like a stereotypical girl (like workbooks, doesnt do messy things well etc) but athletically he learns like a stereotypical boy (hands on quick no long explanations and repetative). To me he just learns like him lol.
bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on Sep. 12, 2013 at 2:09 PM
1 mom liked this

Yes.  And I do not believe it is stereotyping.  It's not about whether or not they like to do workbooks or messy things.  That can be either gender.  But boys are much slower to have fine motor skills, slower to develop the ability to make abstract connections, and typically have more trouble with the skills of putting themselves in another's shoes.  These skills all develop in boys, but it is slower than with the girls. 

Jinx-Troublex3
by Jinx on Sep. 12, 2013 at 2:22 PM

Absolutely!

ablackdolphin
by Bronze Member on Sep. 12, 2013 at 2:26 PM

Yes, I think girls learn the same things at a much earlier age when you are talking about younger kids. I also see that many boys have a natural interest in how things work. 

lizzy_ellie
by on Sep. 12, 2013 at 2:33 PM

I think so, just by the fact on how boys/girl thinks. I've heard of the spaggetti/waffle complex.

Men think like waffles, organized and no jumbled together. And women think like spaggetti, all over the place and thinks get mixed up. (over thinking problems.)

But I only have a daughter so I can't have too much of an opinion on this.

LocoCountryMama
by on Sep. 12, 2013 at 3:18 PM
1 mom liked this
I suggest watching the documentary Raising Cain. It beautifully shows the difference between how boys and girls think and learn, and how boys are falling behind in educational attainment because public schools are catering to how girls learn.
usmom3
by BJ on Sep. 12, 2013 at 11:14 PM
2 moms liked this

I think all children think & learn differently & their genitalia has nothing to do with it!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN