Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

If you had the opportunity to do one thing differently, what would it be?

Posted by on Sep. 12, 2013 at 12:11 PM
  • 13 Replies

A friend of mine and I were talking about how we have been working outside for the last few days and how much they enjoy it.

She has been pretty supportive of me choosing to hs even if she doesn't fully understand why.

She did ask me one thing that really made me think. She asked if I could make one small change in the public school system, what would it be. Talk about a loaded question and how much time do you have.  :)

I really thought about it and I didn't choose curriculum or anything like that because I truly do believe everyone learns differently, I told her the change I would make would allow the kids to be comfortable while learning. Think local bookshop at story time. Comfy chairs, bean bags, body pillows, something other than a hard wood chair and attached desk.

Mine works so much better when not 'confined' and comfortable.

So, long story short... if you could make a small change in public schools, what would it be?

by on Sep. 12, 2013 at 12:11 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Precious333
by Julia on Sep. 12, 2013 at 12:19 PM
Probably smaller class size
Precious333
by Julia on Sep. 12, 2013 at 12:21 PM
Now, im thinking of a bunch, and it starts to lead to homeschooling! Lol

I would want to be in my kid's class and be hands on with my children, so maybe that one instead...
FootballFan12
by on Sep. 12, 2013 at 12:29 PM

It is so funny that you said that, because her kids do go to public schools and this is exactly what she chose.

Quoting Precious333:

Precious333
by Julia on Sep. 12, 2013 at 12:36 PM
Its rediculous that they want to stuff 30+ students with one teacher!!! No wonder why kids are slipping through the cracks!

Quoting FootballFan12:

It is so funny that you said that, because her kids do go to public schools and this is exactly what she chose.

Quoting Precious333:

bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on Sep. 12, 2013 at 2:35 PM

The change I would make is not a small one, No tests!!

Okay now out of dreamland for a minute.  If it were a small change only, I would say Give kids back their study halls.  I loved study hall and many schools are taking them away.

paganbaby
by Silver Member on Sep. 12, 2013 at 2:46 PM

I like the comfortable enviroment! That and small class sizes. Maybe 8 to 10 kids.

But the biggest thing I'd like to see gone would be grades. Kids would work at their level, not their age.

SusanTheWriter
by on Sep. 13, 2013 at 10:43 AM

Sure. Do what Finland does. :)

Unfortunately, the US is sooooo not able to handle that kind of fundamental change in educational perspectives. I read an article about it yesterday in a copy of "Practical Homeschooling" I happened to pick up. I'm not a big fan of the magazine in general, but the article caught my eye, so I did some extra research and found these articles available online:

Smithsonian: Why Are Finland's Schools Successful?

The Guardian: What US Schools Can Learn From Finland (irony alert - this is a UK newspaper telling the US how to improve. Ahem.)

The Atlantic: What Amerian's Keep Ignoring About Finland's Success (article from 2011.)

NYT: School Reform Model

NY Book Review of "Finnish Lessons: What Can the World Learn from Educational Change in Finland"

Leissaintexas
by Bronze Member on Sep. 13, 2013 at 11:46 AM
Honestly, there is too much wrong with public education for me to be able to choose just one thing. But if I had to choose, I'd say change the history curriculum. The new revisionist history fails to teach our children patriotism and independence and has removed so much truth about the founding of our nation.
Chasing3
by Bronze Member on Sep. 13, 2013 at 1:13 PM

that's a tough one. I'd say no grades and no progress charts or sticker charts and no awards - can we even say no tests?

Joann.HS
by on Sep. 13, 2013 at 2:12 PM
I would also have a difficult time choosing one. It would be a toss up between smaller class sizes and more play/free time. Probably smaller class sizes though... I think that would make a world of difference in both students and teachers alike.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN