Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

If you had the opportunity to do one thing differently, what would it be?

Posted by   + Show Post

A friend of mine and I were talking about how we have been working outside for the last few days and how much they enjoy it.

She has been pretty supportive of me choosing to hs even if she doesn't fully understand why.

She did ask me one thing that really made me think. She asked if I could make one small change in the public school system, what would it be. Talk about a loaded question and how much time do you have.  :)

I really thought about it and I didn't choose curriculum or anything like that because I truly do believe everyone learns differently, I told her the change I would make would allow the kids to be comfortable while learning. Think local bookshop at story time. Comfy chairs, bean bags, body pillows, something other than a hard wood chair and attached desk.

Mine works so much better when not 'confined' and comfortable.

So, long story short... if you could make a small change in public schools, what would it be?

by on Sep. 12, 2013 at 12:11 PM
Replies (11-13):
FootballFan12
by on Sep. 16, 2013 at 2:54 PM

This is really good info. Thanks so much for posting this.

Quoting SusanTheWriter:

Sure. Do what Finland does. :)

Unfortunately, the US is sooooo not able to handle that kind of fundamental change in educational perspectives. I read an article about it yesterday in a copy of "Practical Homeschooling" I happened to pick up. I'm not a big fan of the magazine in general, but the article caught my eye, so I did some extra research and found these articles available online:

Smithsonian: Why Are Finland's Schools Successful?

The Guardian: What US Schools Can Learn From Finland (irony alert - this is a UK newspaper telling the US how to improve. Ahem.)

The Atlantic: What Amerian's Keep Ignoring About Finland's Success (article from 2011.)

NYT: School Reform Model

NY Book Review of "Finnish Lessons: What Can the World Learn from Educational Change in Finland"

oredeb
by on Sep. 16, 2013 at 4:05 PM

no public schools, instead at homeschools or neighborhood schools(with only 5 kids in each class)

usmom3
by BJ on Sep. 16, 2013 at 4:16 PM

I was going to say close them all down & do something completely different!

Quoting oredeb:

no public schools, instead at homeschools or neighborhood schools(with only 5 kids in each class)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)