Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Giving advice to someone who wants to HS....

Posted by on Sep. 12, 2013 at 12:42 PM
  • 7 Replies

I have a friend...her DD was in my class in preschool and kindergarten over the past 2 years.  They also have two older boys.  The elementary school is different from our K/prek, so the LO moved on to the "big" school this year.  Mom knew I was homeschooling at the end of last year and dad told me that mom wants to hs but isn't confident enough, mom confirmed...dad kept saying mom is capable and should do it. 

I just got this email from mom:

Hi Deb,

Hope all is going well with you. Wish I was homeschooling my kids. LO had her first hard day today and it broke my heart. She doesn't want to go to school because she doesn't want to have to miss me. She doesn't like morning outdoor recess. It is just to crazy and overwhelming having the whole school outside at one time.
I really want to homeschool them starting next year, but I need a lot more self confidence to be able to do that.

Well again. Hope all is well. Just wanted to let you know we were thinking about you.
Talk soon...

I emailed her back actually suggesting she pull the 1st grader now and take a year to get that down, then pull the big boys next year (as they enter middle school and I think high school or maybe 8th grade) if she still wants to hs them.  But since I know the LO so well and know she will thrive at home with mom and I can just see her little spirit being crushed in the "big" school, I think mom should pull her. 

Is there other advice you would give?  I really think mom is capable of schooling the 1st grader with no problem...1st grade is not hard!  I offered to go over some things with her and help her know what to teach the LO and to just meet to talk if she wants.

My heart is breaking for the LO since I know her so well and know how hard even the transition from prek to k was for her, she was even placed in the class I was going to to ease her transition (our kindergarten is amazing, the principal and staff are so awesome, if my kids had stayed there we wouldn't have hs'ed, lol).  While I do think working on transitions would be good for her, I don't think forcing her to go to the big school with big classes and have her get lost in the shuffle is good for her :/  I just feel so sad and want to fix it for her.  And I wish mom would get that confidence boost and know she can do it!

Sorry this is kind of OT, but is there any advice I can give her to help her with this?  What would you say?

by on Sep. 12, 2013 at 12:42 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
romacox
by Silver Member on Sep. 12, 2013 at 4:03 PM
1 mom liked this

There is a lot of work to homeschooling.  If the parent's hart is not in it, they won't succeed.  I would question her motivation, before trying to convince her. 

If it is only  confidence she needs,  expose her to co-ops and home school conventions. 

candiedgala
by on Sep. 12, 2013 at 4:33 PM
2 moms liked this
This, and maybe you should tell her that she and her daughter could visit you during a couple of lessons to see how easy and natural it really is to teach at home.

The kid sounds like me at that age. I went to public school and it never got better for me. Although I was always at the top of my class in public school it was bad for me in just about every way and it didn't do me any favours when I had to cope with adult life. My Mom was too scared to pull me out, too.

Quoting romacox:

There is a lot of work to homeschooling.  If the parent's hart is not in it, they won't succeed.  I would question her motivation, before trying to convince her. 

If it is only  confidence she needs,  expose her to co-ops and home school conventions. 

Chasing3
by Bronze Member on Sep. 12, 2013 at 8:35 PM
1 mom liked this

the best advice I got was to read the different philosophies of homeschooling. I definaltely just imagined recreating school at home and had this terrible mental image of having to constantly cajole, scold, bribe, trick, nag etc my son into doing the same type of worksheets he got at school. Reading the different philosophies and deciding how I envisioned a school day at home going was what gave me confidence. Realizing I could do it how ever I wanted, that I could give my son a ton of choice, and that how the school does it isn't really the best way -- that was extremely liberating and confidence building.

usmom3
by BJ on Sep. 12, 2013 at 10:38 PM
2 moms liked this

Invite her to come see how you do it & to come to any of the homeschool things you are part of. Some people that are hesitant to do it just need to see others doing it to see it isn't as hard as they make it out to be in their minds.

Leissaintexas
by Bronze Member on Sep. 13, 2013 at 12:02 PM
2 moms liked this
I agree with having her over to observe an average day. So often I hear " oh I could never do that! It seems so hard." And it just makes me want to have a homeschool open house! Fear of the unknown holds so many people back.
oredeb
by on Sep. 16, 2013 at 10:31 AM
1 mom liked this

good advice from everyone and what you told her about taking her youngest out first

kirbymom
by Sonja on Sep. 16, 2013 at 5:52 PM
1 mom liked this
Oh wow! Such great advice already! Here us what I would say to someone who "feels" they are not capable of accomplishing this....

Since you feel like you aren't capable, let me show you how you have been "teaching" your children the entire time they have been alive. Who is it that taught them how to sit up? Or how to hold on to something? How about when they muttered their first sounds, then their first words? Who was it that taught them how to stand up by themselves? Or how to walk? How about how to get dressed? Who taught them how to decide on "this" or "that"? How about when they met new people, who was it to teach them how to be confident enough to talk back with someone? This list could go on but I think you have a small idea that you gave been "teaching" your kids for awhile now. On top of that, who loves them most? You or a stranger who is called teacher so and so? Of course the answer is you. So because you care the most means you are more qualified to teach them the world in which they live. It's that love that will help guide/educate them as they learn. All this means you have already been doing what you think you are not capable of doing. And if ever you need help or guidance, there is a homeschool group who are willing and able to help or point in the direction to get help from, if you want or need to.

This is how you show a mom or dad who is thinking about homeschooling and are not quite sure they can pull it off.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN