Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Alone at the library?

Posted by on Sep. 12, 2013 at 1:42 PM
  • 12 Replies
My DD will be 10 in a couple of weeks. Our HS situation is a little tough right now... The 1 and 3yo can make it hard for her to dig deep. Our library has a park right beside it. The playground is literally like 200 yards away from the library parking lot. It's a really low-crime area (not to say that this means nothing could happen). I'm throwing around the idea of dropping DD off at the library while I take her siblings to the park next door. She will have a cell phone of her own with her.

The whole library is wide open and not conducive to keeping littles quiet and corralled while DD finds books or uses the computer.

She would be comfortable with it. I'm just not sure how I feel about it. When I was 10, I was staying home alone after school watching my 5yo brother. But times are different now.
by on Sep. 12, 2013 at 1:42 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
marrionsmommy
by on Sep. 12, 2013 at 1:53 PM
I would check with the librarian though ours says 13 and older to be aloneat the library. I would tell the librarian you would be next door so she knows to keep an eye out.
Bleacheddecay
by Bronze Member on Sep. 12, 2013 at 1:59 PM
1 mom liked this

Most libraries have a rule about at what age kids can be left alone there. As long as you are within those rules, I see no problem with it.

ablackdolphin
by Bronze Member on Sep. 12, 2013 at 2:24 PM

I would be hesitant, could she study outside while you are at the park?

Jinx-Troublex3
by Jinx on Sep. 12, 2013 at 2:24 PM

Sounds like it would work there. Here, all the homeless hand out in the library during the day and it wouldn't be a safe environment.

LocoCountryMama
by on Sep. 12, 2013 at 3:20 PM
1 mom liked this
This

Quoting Bleacheddecay:

Most libraries have a rule about at what age kids can be left alone there. As long as you are within those rules, I see no problem with it.

RatherBeReading
by on Sep. 12, 2013 at 6:40 PM

The library we go to says they have to have parental supervision at age 7 and under. If you feel comfortable with it, I would go ahead. I would do it with my daughter, although I know I would have to go in at some point and drag her out, lol.

TJandKarasMom
by Debbie on Sep. 12, 2013 at 7:47 PM

Our library's alone age is 12.  But I wonder with the park right next to it....are you friendly with the librarian?  I could see our librarian letting me leave a big kid if I was right outside with little kids.

Leissaintexas
by Bronze Member on Sep. 12, 2013 at 7:52 PM

I would do it. Well, at least with my dd I would. She's mature enough to get her work done, stay motivated, and stay quiet. My ds would get so distracted, he'd become fidgety and disruptive. But I'd feel comfortable with it. Mine are 11 and 12.

paganbaby
by Silver Member on Sep. 12, 2013 at 8:24 PM

I think it sounds fine.

usmom3
by BJ on Sep. 12, 2013 at 10:42 PM

I am with everyone else find out what the library's rule is on that & if she is over the age then try it. Set up ground rules with her, explain that they are for her safety & your sanity & then do it. If it works that is great & you know it is an option, if it dose not work try again in a year or so when she is older.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)