Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Do you leave the TV on while

Posted by on Sep. 12, 2013 at 1:58 PM
  • 51 Replies

Your kids are working or you are teaching...my DS is SURE that I am the only mean mom that doesn't so I have come into cyber world to see that in fact I am not the only "mean mom"

Thanks ladies!

by on Sep. 12, 2013 at 1:58 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Bleacheddecay
by Bronze Member on Sep. 12, 2013 at 2:08 PM

No way. I never leave the TV on.

bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on Sep. 12, 2013 at 2:10 PM
2 moms liked this

No, the tv does not turn on until school and chores are over for the whole day.

marrionsmommy
by on Sep. 12, 2013 at 2:11 PM
Yes and no......if we arent in a hurry to get anywhere then yes. I dont have it on cartoons etc. Its on the history channel, animal planet or my judge shows. Sometimes ill catch up on dance moms if he has an alone project. Although I am usually in the living room if I watch a show and he is in the schoolroom 2 doors down. If I have a time limit (MWTh) where we have to leave be done by 3 than no tv on.If animal planet is on and something interesting catches his eye I dont mind stopping and exploring sea turtles or whales or whatever.
Today he took an hour longer to do his work because he kept coming in to watch judge mathis (he doesnt even like it lol) so I turned it off till he finished.

By the way ds thinks im a mean mom for making him do schoolwork period...he is convinced no one else in the world makes their kids do schoolwork
mommymonkey
by on Sep. 12, 2013 at 2:14 PM

No, never. We don't have cable, so we only watch movies and or netflix, but it's not something I allow to be on all the time.

Jinx-Troublex3
by Jinx on Sep. 12, 2013 at 2:21 PM

No way! The TV stays off during school hours. As long as ANY of the kids are stil working, the tV is off.

If Ian finishes at noon, and Heidi works till 6pm, no TV! Once their work is done, they can go into my bedroom and put on a movie or play video games, or use the laptop or computer with headphones on so that whomever is working isn't distracted by the TV in the common area.

Jinx - Homeschooling, Scouting & Karate butt-kicking  Mom to Star Scout Ian 1/98, Scout Sean 9/00, Junior GS Heidi 4/03. Wife to Joe & Alpha to German Shepherd Spazz.

ablackdolphin
by Bronze Member on Sep. 12, 2013 at 2:21 PM

Nope.  I'll play music sometimes but no TV.  I will use the TV for actual teaching like using DVDs for French or Preschool prep videos etc.  But otherwise the TV is off when we are doing school. Sorry Bud!

JadeTigr7
by Member on Sep. 12, 2013 at 2:25 PM

No, the TV does not come on until the evenings if at all.

Connorsmommy13
by Member on Sep. 12, 2013 at 2:30 PM
1 mom liked this

Thank you everyone ....BTW he said that you are not nice friends to me because Nice friends would let their friends kids get their way...gotta love the way they think!

QueenCreole313
by on Sep. 12, 2013 at 2:31 PM
Nope! It has to be completely silent for the kid to concentrate. He can watch during lunch break. That's it.
jwhit8791
by Jessica on Sep. 12, 2013 at 2:59 PM

Umm, you could tell your kids that they are lucky.  DH put our tv down in the basement and apparently it is not coming back.....like ever!  LOL

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN