Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

I think I need to purchase a box set for language arts and math

Posted by on Sep. 13, 2013 at 7:54 AM
  • 11 Replies

I have been making my own curriculum for now but I think I need to buy something to help keep me on track. I get scatterbrained about it and I would just feel better if I had something all planned out to keep us going forward. Id like to still do our own social studies and science. 

What do you use for your kids in K? 

I want something that is complete for both language arts and math. My son is an auditory learner. What are your thoughts on timberdoodle?

please ignore any typos :)

by on Sep. 13, 2013 at 7:54 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mem82
by Platinum Member on Sep. 13, 2013 at 7:59 AM
I didn't use a curriculum at that age, either, so I'm no help. Could getting a scope and sequence book help guide you?
Clh1989
by on Sep. 13, 2013 at 8:09 AM

Quoting mem82:

I didn't use a curriculum at that age, either, so I'm no help. Could getting a scope and sequence book help guide you?

I have lots of books and my own scope and sequence that I feel like fits his abilities. I just get lost in the day to day. For example, he really isnt understanding letters so I try a different technique with him then I change it again when that doesnt work either. I think he really needs the consistency in those areas and Im always trying to change things. I am the problem here lol. 

mem82
by Platinum Member on Sep. 13, 2013 at 8:10 AM
Ha! I can be the problem with my kids, too.

Quoting Clh1989:

Quoting mem82:

I have lots of books and my own scope and sequence that I feel like fits his abilities. I just get lost in the day to day. For example, he really isnt understanding letters so I try a different technique with him then I change it again when that doesnt work either. I think he really needs the consistency in those areas and Im always trying to change things. I am the problem here lol. 

bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on Sep. 13, 2013 at 8:23 AM

With my middle boy I made my own for K and started with Math U See this year (1st grade) but my LO wants to be like both big brothers so we bought the Math U See Primer for him and he likes it.  It has no tests, so it's truly introducing it all to him.  He's Pre-K, so I can use half this year and half next if I want.

I do all my own Language Arts, so I am no help there.

AutymsMommy
by Silver Member on Sep. 13, 2013 at 3:29 PM

I don't use boxed, per se, but I do use actual curricula.

My boy is using for LA:

Phonics Pathways

Little Stories for Little Folks (Catholic)

Seton's Kindergarten Handwriting

Picture Book Activities (an out of print book you can find on amazon - it's literature resources and activities for well known picture books)

For math:

Miquon (plus the necessary c-rods and we're also throwing in some flats)

I'll probably throw in CLE math at some point.

I am a Home Schooling, Vaccinating, Non spanking, Nightmare Cuddling, Dessert Giving, Bedtime Kissing, Book Reading, Stay at Home Mom. I believe in the benefit of organized after school activities and nosy, involved parents. I believe in spoiling my children. I believe that I have seen the village and I do not want it anywhere near my children. Now for the controversial stuff:  we're Catholic, we're conservative, and we own guns (now there's no need to ask, lol).             Aimee

ablackdolphin
by Bronze Member on Sep. 13, 2013 at 5:33 PM

RightStart Math is AWESOME!!! I can't say enough about it and I'm a CPA so I have a love for math to begin with!  I love the idea that it's abacus based (no you don't need to know how to use one first you'll learn along with the child).  It's so easily laid out for you that you don't have to do much prep beforehand.  There are TONS of games to make it extra fun too.

My DD is not even 4 and she loves RightStart Math.  She's already using the abacus and is doing great with the program.

I don't have an actual program for language arts but she watches Preschool Prep DVDs which I love and I have purchased lots of games from Lakeshore Learning. We just read lots and lots of books. Read along books, I can Read etc from the library.  I think I have about 75 books checked out at the moment.

I'm also using Handwriting Without Tears and love that.

romacox
by Silver Member on Sep. 14, 2013 at 7:00 AM

Ring Around The Phonics is excellent for language arts. It was originally designed  for K through 2nd grade (phonics, blends, early reader books, comprehension, communication skills and listening skills).  So it has step by through those grade levels.  However,  because the letter cards are static cling, parents use it for language arts throughout 6th grade (but those instructions are not included). 

Math U See is also excellent with instructions for K through 12th grade.   Ring Around The phonics is whole brain teaching (children are physically involved in the learning process) .  Math U See is whole brain teaching only at the lower grade levels. But here are some whole brain math activities to supplement with Math U See if it gets boring in the upper grades.

Both of these were created by home school families. 

No_Difference
by Silver Member on Sep. 14, 2013 at 7:35 AM

For K with my little guy we're using All About Reading Level 1 (we did the Pre Level for Pre K last year along with Leap Frog movies) and Starfall (which is free for the most part including worksheets if you really wanted to go that route, and All About Spelling Level 1,
For math, we're using Math U See Primer. We're started it last year and we're working our way through the rest of it this year.

lovelylady83
by Member on Sep. 14, 2013 at 4:29 PM

if you are going to purchase curriculum for math I would look into something you are going to stick with for the long haul...make it a good solid decision so that there are no gaps in learning and make sure it jives with his learning style... I LOVE Math in Focus because It has activities that appeal to all... I purchased grades 1-4 so far with all the replacement workbooks so that I can reuse it again with my little one... I plan on getting K when I have extra $$...

For LA ... You really just need Phonics for K ... I would check out All About Reading or The Ordinary Parents Guide to Teaching Reading.  I used the later and I use All About Spelling with my daughter now... Then just some Bob books for him to read and some read alouds for you to read to him... Maybe get Handwriting without tears....

oredeb
by on Sep. 14, 2013 at 8:50 PM

for that young i didnt use any curr, i didnt start english till 3rd grade(abeka), math we counted objects, subtracted objects that children could hold in hands or see on paper, then started with math book in 1st grade with rod and staff

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)