Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

I'm sorry, Homeschooling is illegal in this district.

Posted by on Sep. 13, 2013 at 12:16 PM
  • 61 Replies
14 moms liked this

Oh this soothed a part of my soul that has been aching for a very long time. Link.

I went into the office of my daughters school today. I needed help logging into this site that lets me view her grades. While I was there, an office worker pulled me into her office.

She said, "Savannah mentioned she is going to homeschool?"

Me "Yes, it looks that way. "Her poor attendance coupled with her poor grades leads me believe that's the best option for her."

With a look full of concern she tells me, "I'm sorry, I'm afraid homeschooling is illegal in this school district except for medical reasons." "If you pull her out, she'll be considered truant and you can go to jail."

Me, "That won't be an issue." "Homeschooling isn't illegal in this state." "I will be teaching her myself."

Her, "I'm sorry, but unless you have a teaching credential, you can't do that."

I sweetly smiled back. "Actually I can." "According to California State law all I need to do is submit a homeschooling affidavit that declares my home a private school. As long as I have less than 15 students, and I assure I do, I don't need one.

She gaped at me for a moment, then said, "Oh...well um, okay then." "Just let us know when you're going to oull her out."

by on Sep. 13, 2013 at 12:16 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
paganbaby
by Silver Member on Sep. 13, 2013 at 12:20 PM
24 moms liked this

Mama, I did it. I achieved what you fought so hard for all those years ago. I walked into that office armed with knowledge and won the right to take my daughter home.

WeFollowJesus
by on Sep. 13, 2013 at 12:23 PM
1 mom liked this

Good for you for standing your ground!

bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on Sep. 13, 2013 at 12:24 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting paganbaby:

Mama, I did it. I achieved what you fought so hard for all those years ago. I walked into that office, armed with knowledge and won the right to take my daughter home.

Awesome!  I'm so proud of you!

paganbaby
by Silver Member on Sep. 13, 2013 at 12:25 PM

Thank you!

Quoting WeFollowJesus:

Good for you for standing your ground!

Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Breastfeeding tickers

paganbaby
by Silver Member on Sep. 13, 2013 at 12:25 PM

Quoting bluerooffarm:

Quoting paganbaby:

Mama, I did it. I achieved what you fought so hard for all those years ago. I walked into that office, armed with knowledge and won the right to take my daughter home.

Thank you. I cried as typed this. I'm so emotional right now,lol! But I was cool as ice in there though!

all2gethernow
by Member on Sep. 13, 2013 at 12:29 PM
3 moms liked this
Wow! Did they really think you were so uneducated about homeschooling/law that they could make you believe that? I wonder how many others just said, "duh, ok.."
When I lived in MD, they pulled this crap. Always telling homeschool parents laws and rules that didn't exist. My district there was under fire with HSDLA for years over crap like this. Smh. Go mama!!!
Mama2JoshKatie
by on Sep. 13, 2013 at 12:29 PM
1 mom liked this

Good for you! You know your rights and she couldn't intimidate you. Homeschooling is legal in all 50 states, whether school districts like it or not.

bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on Sep. 13, 2013 at 12:34 PM

Quoting paganbaby:

Quoting bluerooffarm:

Quoting paganbaby:

Thank you. I cried as typed this. I'm so emotional right now,lol! But I was cool as ice in there though!

I'm so glad you were armed with the facts.  I wonder how many they have duped in that way? 

paganbaby
by Silver Member on Sep. 13, 2013 at 12:37 PM
1 mom liked this

I bet she did. Boy did she get a surprise!

Quoting all2gethernow:

Wow! Did they really think you were so uneducated about homeschooling/law that they could make you believe that? I wonder how many others just said, "duh, ok.."
When I lived in MD, they pulled this crap. Always telling homeschool parents laws and rules that didn't exist. My district there was under fire with HSDLA for years over crap like this. Smh. Go mama!!!

paganbaby
by Silver Member on Sep. 13, 2013 at 12:38 PM

*Fist pump*!

Quoting Mama2JoshKatie:

Good for you! You know your rights and she couldn't intimidate you. Homeschooling is legal in all 50 states, whether school districts like it or not.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)