Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I'm sorry, Homeschooling is illegal in this district.

Posted by   + Show Post

Oh this soothed a part of my soul that has been aching for a very long time. Link.

I went into the office of my daughters school today. I needed help logging into this site that lets me view her grades. While I was there, an office worker pulled me into her office.

She said, "Savannah mentioned she is going to homeschool?"

Me "Yes, it looks that way. "Her poor attendance coupled with her poor grades leads me believe that's the best option for her."

With a look full of concern she tells me, "I'm sorry, I'm afraid homeschooling is illegal in this school district except for medical reasons." "If you pull her out, she'll be considered truant and you can go to jail."

Me, "That won't be an issue." "Homeschooling isn't illegal in this state." "I will be teaching her myself."

Her, "I'm sorry, but unless you have a teaching credential, you can't do that."

I sweetly smiled back. "Actually I can." "According to California State law all I need to do is submit a homeschooling affidavit that declares my home a private school. As long as I have less than 15 students, and I assure I do, I don't need one.

She gaped at me for a moment, then said, "Oh...well um, okay then." "Just let us know when you're going to oull her out."

by on Sep. 13, 2013 at 12:16 PM
Replies (11-20):
paganbaby
by Silver Member on Sep. 13, 2013 at 12:39 PM

Quoting bluerooffarm:

Quoting paganbaby:

Quoting bluerooffarm:

Quoting paganbaby:

Mama, I did it. I achieved what you fought so hard for all those years ago. I walked into that office, armed with knowledge and won the right to take my daughter home.

Awesome!  I'm so proud of you!

Thank you. I cried as typed this. I'm so emotional right now,lol! But I was cool as ice in there though!

I'm so glad you were armed with the facts.  I wonder how many they have duped in that way? 

More than I care to think about :-(

Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Breastfeeding tickers

mem82
by Platinum Member on Sep. 13, 2013 at 12:39 PM

awesome sauce

usmom3
by BJ on Sep. 13, 2013 at 12:40 PM
1 mom liked this

It is sad to say but most school employees do not know the real laws for homeschooling. They believe that the districts have the right to set their own laws about it. It is kind of scary to think that people so ignorant to the law are in trusted to educate children!

You ROCK for knowing your rights & standing up to that women with the facts! I would probably print out the laws from an official website & take them up to the school on her last day of school & give them to that women. I would tell her that she really should educate herself & the rest of the staff becauseall she did was make herself look like a dumb A@@ with her ignorance.

norahsmommy
by Member on Sep. 13, 2013 at 12:42 PM
That is excellent! I may end up home schooling my oldest. It may be the best option for her if the school won't help accommodate her needs.
paganbaby
by Silver Member on Sep. 13, 2013 at 12:44 PM

*Big grin*

Quoting mem82:

awesome sauce

paganbaby
by Silver Member on Sep. 13, 2013 at 12:46 PM

I really think she did not know! And you know what? That is an excelent idea! I'll print them out right now and have them ready.

Quoting usmom3:

It is sad to say but most school employees do not know the real laws for homeschooling. They believe that the districts have the right to set their own laws about it. It is kind of scary to think that people so ignorant to the law are in trusted to educate children!

You ROCK for knowing your rights & standing up to that women with the facts! I would probably print out the laws from an official website & take them up to the school on her last day of school & give them to that women. I would tell her that she really should educate herself & the rest of the staff becauseall she did was make herself look like a dumb A@@ with her ignorance.

paganbaby
by Silver Member on Sep. 13, 2013 at 12:46 PM

What problems is having in school again?

Quoting norahsmommy:

That is excellent! I may end up home schooling my oldest. It may be the best option for her if the school won't help accommodate her needs.

AllofFive19
by Bronze Member on Sep. 13, 2013 at 12:49 PM

I'm so glad you were cool when you walked in there. To push your emotions down like that is really brave.

paganbaby
by Silver Member on Sep. 13, 2013 at 12:55 PM
1 mom liked this

Stop! You're going to make me cry again,lol.

Quoting AllofFive19:

I'm so glad you were cool when you walked in there. To push your emotions down like that is really brave.

SusanTheWriter
by Bronze Member on Sep. 13, 2013 at 12:57 PM
2 moms liked this
Power to the moms!
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)