Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I'm sorry, Homeschooling is illegal in this district.

Posted by   + Show Post

Oh this soothed a part of my soul that has been aching for a very long time. Link.

I went into the office of my daughters school today. I needed help logging into this site that lets me view her grades. While I was there, an office worker pulled me into her office.

She said, "Savannah mentioned she is going to homeschool?"

Me "Yes, it looks that way. "Her poor attendance coupled with her poor grades leads me believe that's the best option for her."

With a look full of concern she tells me, "I'm sorry, I'm afraid homeschooling is illegal in this school district except for medical reasons." "If you pull her out, she'll be considered truant and you can go to jail."

Me, "That won't be an issue." "Homeschooling isn't illegal in this state." "I will be teaching her myself."

Her, "I'm sorry, but unless you have a teaching credential, you can't do that."

I sweetly smiled back. "Actually I can." "According to California State law all I need to do is submit a homeschooling affidavit that declares my home a private school. As long as I have less than 15 students, and I assure I do, I don't need one.

She gaped at me for a moment, then said, "Oh...well um, okay then." "Just let us know when you're going to oull her out."

by on Sep. 13, 2013 at 12:16 PM
Replies (21-30):
Dawn07
by Bronze Member on Sep. 13, 2013 at 12:59 PM
1 mom liked this
Woohoo!!! You go girl!!!

Quoting paganbaby:

Mama, I did it. I achieved what you fought so hard for all those years ago. I walked into that office armed with knowledge and won the right to take my daughter home.

debramommyof4
by Silver Member on Sep. 13, 2013 at 1:00 PM

I am so happy for you.  Homeschooling is most definetly legal in California.  Just ask my 4 kids.  I am so proud of you.

paganbaby
by Silver Member on Sep. 13, 2013 at 1:01 PM

Thank you!

Where about in Cali do you live?

Quoting debramommyof4:

I am so happy for you.  Homeschooling is most definetly legal in California.  Just ask my 4 kids.  I am so proud of you.

Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Breastfeeding tickers

ablackdolphin
by Bronze Member on Sep. 13, 2013 at 1:03 PM

OMG, good for you MAMA!!!  Once again another example of the kind of people who are assigned to educate our children in public schools.  So many are dictators and uneducated themselves!  So proud of you and a BIG THANK YOU from the rest of us.  You not only affected your family but so many others in the future!

debramommyof4
by Silver Member on Sep. 13, 2013 at 1:03 PM

Riverside County.  If you live close I will pm you the city. 

Quoting paganbaby:

Thank you!

Quoting debramommyof4:

paganbaby
by Silver Member on Sep. 13, 2013 at 1:05 PM

I'm San bernardino county! Yeah PM me

Quoting debramommyof4:

Riverside County.  If you live close I will pm you the city. 

Quoting paganbaby:

Thank you!

Quoting debramommyof4:

paganbaby
by Silver Member on Sep. 13, 2013 at 1:07 PM

I'm hoping if this ever comes up again she'll have the facts to pass on to other parents. If not, I'll just spread the word as well as I can.

Did you know this lady at our Rec center didn't know that homeschoolers went on field trips? lol

Quoting ablackdolphin:

OMG, good for you MAMA!!!  Once again another example of the kind of people who are assigned to educate our children in public schools.  So many are dictators and uneducated themselves!  So proud of you and a BIG THANK YOU from the rest of us.  You not only affected your family but so many others in the future!

MacMamaof5
by Member on Sep. 13, 2013 at 1:08 PM

I've got tears in my eyes and chills up my spine reading this!  A BIG FAT CONGRRRRATULATIONS, MAMA!

norahsmommy
by Member on Sep. 13, 2013 at 1:15 PM
I'm nearly 100% sure she is dyslexic. We've had issues for years and every year I've mentioned there is something very different about how she learns and we need to test her and I've been brushed off. In preschool it was , " oh all kids reverse letters at this age", in kindergarten it was " she is young for her age that's why she writes like that and has trouble with directions". In first grade I was told she was a smart lazy student and in second quite frankly the teacher didn't care much for grades because she wanted to get them all ready for first communion. Well now its the 5th week of 3rd grade and I was informed that dd won't be able to pass the IREAD 3 required in the state of indiana in order to move on to 4th grade.

I really want her tested for dyslexia but the state of indiana doesn't recognize dyslexia as a learning disability. The school systems don't test for it. I have to get private testing done and it has to lead to 'significant impairment' before the school will do something. And it is up to the school to decide what they will do.

There is also no exemption for the state test except English being your second language, significant learning disability, or having been retained twice already in elementary school.

Quoting paganbaby:

What problems is having in school again?

Quoting norahsmommy:

That is excellent! I may end up home schooling my oldest. It may be the best option for her if the school won't help accommodate her needs.

Bleacheddecay
by Bronze Member on Sep. 13, 2013 at 1:42 PM

Good for you!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)