Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Teacher Tells 10-Year-Old God Is Not an Acceptable 'Idol'

*Public School article posted for discussion*

Teacher Tells 10-Year-Old God Is Not an Acceptable 'Idol' (VIDEO)

by Mary Fischer 

elementary school

Ugh. Can someone please explain to me what the heck this world is coming to? Because after hearing that a 10-year-old girl was not allowed to choose God as her idol to write about for a school assignment, I really don't know whether to scream or cry.

Mom Erica Shead explains how her daughter, Erin, came home from school on Wednesday upset. When she drew a diagram in class with the words, "I look up to God," in the middle of it -- her teacher told her that God was not an acceptable idol, and that she'd have to start the assignment all over again.

The poor kid wound up choosing Michael Jackson (basically going from one extreme to the other) as an alternative.

Erin told her mother she wanted to write about God because "God created the earth" and added that she's "doing the best she can."

And as you can imagine, Erica is absolutely irate over the teacher's decision, as she should be.

Take a look at this video clip to hear more about what happened.

Video here

That poor child. This makes me absolutely sick to my stomach. Who the hell is that teacher to tell a child who she can and cannot look up to? By telling her to choose someone else, and by not even allowing her to keep the original assignment at school (you know, because it's SO offensive), she's basically teaching her that her faith doesn't matter and isn't worth believing in. And that's just sad, wrong, disgusting, ridiculous, and well ... really shitty, if you ask me.

What would've been the harm in letting her write about God? It's not like she was preaching to the class or anything. She was simply following the instructions she was given to complete her school work -- and she basically got punished for it. Yes, it is a punishment to take a child's beautiful, creative idea and classify it as wrong, when it clearly isn't.

Oh, and another thing, I'd be appalled about this incident no matter where in the country it happened. But in Millington, Tennessee -- right outside of Memphis?!? If kids can't express their love for God in the Bible belt, it certainly doesn't offer much hope to the rest of the U.S.

I don't blame Erica one bit for going straight to the principal. I would've done the same thing in her shoes, because the way her daughter was treated is unacceptable. Schools should be a place where children are encouraged to stand up for what they believe instead of hiding from it.

That teacher should be ashamed of herself. All I can say is thank GOD my kid isn't in her class.

Do you think Erin should have been allowed to write about her true idol?

by on Sep. 13, 2013 at 3:13 PM
Replies (71-76):
sha_lyn68
by Bronze Member on Sep. 19, 2013 at 10:58 AM
6 moms liked this

Christians persecuting, prosecuting and killing non-Christians in the name of their God isn't just history. It happens today all over the world. Have you not heard of Westboro Baptist church, the current witch hunts in Africa, bombings of abortion clinics and the murders of abortion doctors etc?Where are atheists persecuting and shaming "people" in the name of atheism? 

Quoting tuffymama:

Sad hairflip. I know the often hateful history of Christianity, especially as an organized religion. I know about the human sacrifices of pagans, and murderous priests and cannibals in many religions. That's history. Atheists persecute and aim to shame people NOW. 

RockEducation
by on Sep. 19, 2013 at 1:54 PM
3 moms liked this

clappingway to gogoodwoohoo 

Quoting kmath:

I don't think you understand what atheism is.  You keep saying that atheism is a religion, so how exactly do you get that?  What exactly do atheists worship?  How are atheists trying to impose anything on you?  Because they don't want your religion as a state religion?  Because they don't want your 'biblical' laws imposed upon them?  So, you are allowed to impose your rules on atheists, but atheists can't speak out about it without being told they are oppressing you?  Atheists have to sit down and shut up, but you don't have to? 

I have no clue how you think atheists worship, they don't believe in any higher power so what is there to worship?  Atheism isn't a religion. 

You said "It's History", so yes, you did say they didn't commit atrocities now. 

As for the obvious anger in this post, I am not sure who wronged you in the past, but you need to realize that not all atheists are like that.  Quit lumping them all together.  That is like lumping all Christians together.  I am pretty sure most Christians don't want to be lumped in with WBC, just like atheists don't want to be lumped in with the minority of extremists. 

Next time you reply try keeping insults and emotions out of it.  I realize this whole post is probably futile as you seem pretty set in your thinking that all atheists are evil.  Had to give it a try though.

Quoting tuffymama:

Love how my points aren't addressed here, and it is just more of your own noise. TYPICAL. I didn't say Christians don't commit atrocities. I didn't say love and tolerance. And most atheists do give two shits about what I believe, hence this ridiculous thread rife with typical atheist noise. You all scream too loud to hear what people say. NO ONE CARES if you want to worship by not worshipping. Go do it. Just STFU about it and let us have our own faith, and not impress your minority, juvenile rule on the rest of us.
Quoting kmath:

You honestly believe Christians aren't commiting atrocities now? 
They aren't persecuting anyone or trying to shape anyone to fit their beliefs NOW?!  You can't tell me Christianity is a religion of tolerance and love when they are still out persecuting, bullying and even killing anyone who doesn't believe what they believe.  It isn't history, it is happening now just as much as it happened then.  Of course that isn't all Christians, just like not all atheists give two shits what you believe or how you worship.  They aren't trying to force you to change who you are or what you believe in.  They just want to be left out of it, they don't want any religion in school or other aspects of govenment.

Quoting tuffymama:Sad hairflip. I know the often hateful history of Christianity, especially as an organized religion. I know about the human sacrifices of pagans, and murderous priests and cannibals in many religions. That's history. Atheists persecute and aim to shame people NOW.

EDGY HOMESCHOOL MOMS--DON'T PUSH THAT STEREOTYPICAL CRAP ON US

sha_lyn68
by Bronze Member on Sep. 19, 2013 at 2:07 PM
3 moms liked this

Maybe you should go back and reread what you wrote. She directly addressed what you said. The only "noise" and ranting here is you.

Quoting tuffymama:

No legitimate point to miss, just noise. You were ranting about something I didn't even state.
Quoting redhead-bedhead:

You totally missed the point. banging head into wall

Quoting tuffymama:I referred to atheists persecuting people now, not Pagans. I have stated many times on this biard my deep affection for my Pagan friends (but that they are not the obnoxious people portrayed by many "pagans" on CM). And if you want to get technical on who kills whom most often, then understand that more Christians are killed in the name of Islam every day.
Quoting redhead-bedhead:

Oh Cheese and Rice! Christians (some not all, obviously) are actually still killing suspected "witches" in other parts of the world. Right now in 2013!

Many Pagan authors have been attacked and harassed, Rita Moran (the Democratic Chair holder in Kennebec County, Maine) has been harassed by the Christian Civic League of Maine, in Georgia a child has harassed by teachers because his family was Pagan, in Texas a student was suspended for wearing a pentacle, but the "won the right" to return to school and still wear it, same thing happened in Michigan, let's not forget that according to some Fox News anchors Paganism isn't a real religion and we are all overweight middle aged women or D&D players, a group of over 300 Heathens were harassed on one of their holiest nights by a group of trespassers, MY OWN SISTER was harassed by a teacher because she was wearing a pentacle, I have been harassed many times whether it is because I am wearing a pentacle or because I tell someone that I am a Pagan. This are just a handful of examples of true cases of harassment.

Despite of the ongoing harassment of Pagans from so-called Christians I don't let it affect my overall view of Christians.

I have met many Christian moms here on CM who are wonderful people, my grandparents are Christians who love everyone, I have neighbors, friends, and acquaintances who are all Christian, but good people.

You can't let the ones who are making the most noise color your perception of the whole group.

Quoting tuffymama:Sad hairflip. I know the often hateful history of Christianity, especially as an organized religion. I know about the human sacrifices of pagans, and murderous priests and cannibals in many religions. That's history. Atheists persecute and aim to shame people NOW.

sha_lyn68
by Bronze Member on Sep. 19, 2013 at 2:10 PM
3 moms liked this

You are the one not following the thread and who isn't forming a good argument. You can't even be bothered to remember what you've said. 

Quoting tuffymama:

And some have minds so open that everything falls out. Don't get huffy with me because you're both bad at forming a good argument and following a thread, so you must resort to falsely accusing someone of personal attacks. I'm not going to argue with you where there is no argument. I know that those who accuse others most vocally of having closed minds are usually most guilty of same, and you have proven it. Maturity is the best cure for that particular affliction.

RockEducation
by on Sep. 19, 2013 at 2:12 PM
3 moms liked this

Make sure that you install new bulbs in that bathroom light as you need to get the full effect.

You told me to get over myself. You need to take your own advice.

Quoting tuffymama:

Hmmm. Didn't attack anything. Still haven't.
Quoting Mandallyn:

You do realize you and 3 other women started this by attacking my post.  I replied only to the women that quoted me.  So why should we "shut the f*ck up" (that's very christian language of you btw) why you are the ones who started this?  When you go looking for intolerance, make sure you turn on the bathroom light so you can see it in the mirror.

Quoting tuffymama:Love how my points aren't addressed here, and it is just more of your own noise. TYPICAL. I didn't say Christians don't commit atrocities. I didn't say love and tolerance. And most atheists do give two shits about what I believe, hence this ridiculous thread rife with typical atheist noise. You all scream too loud to hear what people say. NO ONE CARES if you want to worship by not worshipping. Go do it. Just STFU about it and let us have our own faith, and not impress your minority, juvenile rule on the rest of us.
Quoting kmath:

You honestly believe Christians aren't commiting atrocities now? 
They aren't persecuting anyone or trying to shape anyone to fit their beliefs NOW?!  You can't tell me Christianity is a religion of tolerance and love when they are still out persecuting, bullying and even killing anyone who doesn't believe what they believe.  It isn't history, it is happening now just as much as it happened then.  Of course that isn't all Christians, just like not all atheists give two shits what you believe or how you worship.  They aren't trying to force you to change who you are or what you believe in.  They just want to be left out of it, they don't want any religion in school or other aspects of govenment.

~~SECULAR HOMESCHOOLING IN IOWA~~ SINCE 3/1/10sunglasses mini

ablessedlife
by Member on Sep. 21, 2013 at 9:03 AM
Quoting lucsch:

Personally, as a Christian, I'd be offended by the assignment. Christians don't have idols. It is forbidden in the 1st commandment. We may admire others or even have human heroes, but worship is restricted to our one, true God. I'd ask for a religious exemption. I am so glad to be able to homeschool!

Yes. I'd say, " If I can't write about God, I can't do this assignment."
Yeah, I homeschool too. LOVE IT!
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)