Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

I just have to brag for a minute on dd's school

Posted by   + Show Post

Yes, yes, I know it's a homeschooling board. I was so TERRIFIED about sending my eldest to brick and mortar this year, but it's turned out to be a GREAT decision and an amazing school.

End of week one they went on a 3 day leadership camping trip, complete with a 7 mile hike. Last week ALL of her homeroom teachers called and/or e-mailed me to ask how she was feeling about school. When we had a slight problem with literature (and really, it was just a matter of the boys and her distracting each other, as she's the only girl in the upper school - only other girl is in the lower school, lol), it was fixed IMMEDIATELY.

This past week was Math and Bubble Gum week - every class incorporated math and they brought in parents to show how they used math in their career (several doctors, an engineer or two, and an occupational therapist). Yesterday the headmaster took the upper school to walk to a local soda fountain down the street for lunch. Next week is a camp out complete with bonfire and hotdogs behind the school's main house, to celebrate the election of Student Body President.

Beyond all of the fun things, they are patient, kind, sincerely listen, and obviously care about every single student - they really go out of their way to make sure every child is having a positive experience. They are VERY strict about respect, but remind children (even when reprimanded) that there is no such thing as a bad kid, that messing up is normal; accept the consequences, feel remorse, try not to do it again, and MOVE ON; everybody makes mistakes and it's part of learning. They understand the *whole* child and give the children MORE than ample recess time to burn off energy. While many of the students also have ADD/ADHD (it's a school for gifted dyslexics), they have no problem with a parent NOT medicating, and instead will incorporate behaviour therapy/additional one-on-one for the student, if necessary.

The academics are superior; the teachers are amazing. At the first parent meeting, I remember the Head saying "all of these children WILL go to college". His confidence is wonderful. DD is learning SO much and enjoying it!

Every day the children receive one-on-one tutoring. If they have a problem with homework at night, they are instructed to call the subject teacher or their homeroom teacher for help, any time before 9 pm. If they ever feel picked on, left out, or just down, they are encouraged to call the headmaster or go directly to his office (if the child is at school at the time).

Oh, and how neat is this - because so many of the children come from different cities to attend the school every day, and one of the children in a neighboring city is having a birthday tomorrow, the school is letting one of the teachers borrow the school SUV to meet parents at the school, so the teacher can transport them to the party! They take such a VESTED and SINCERE interest in the children (and their families).

I never thought I would be so in love with a brick and mortar school.

I am a Home Schooling, Vaccinating, Non spanking, Nightmare Cuddling, Dessert Giving, Bedtime Kissing, Book Reading, Stay at Home Mom. I believe in the benefit of organized after school activities and nosy, involved parents. I believe in spoiling my children. I believe that I have seen the village and I do not want it anywhere near my children. Now for the controversial stuff:  we're Catholic, we're conservative, and we own guns (now there's no need to ask, lol).             Aimee

by on Sep. 13, 2013 at 3:18 PM
Replies (11-18):
debramommyof4
by Silver Member on Sep. 13, 2013 at 6:50 PM

That sounds awesome.  If every school was like that I might put mine back in school.

irvinehiker
by Andrea on Sep. 13, 2013 at 7:06 PM
You and your dd are very fotrunate to have an opportunity like this. There are only 2 private schools here in town and neither would be right for us. The only b& m I would consider sending my kids to is a Montessori in the next city.
TJandKarasMom
by Debbie on Sep. 13, 2013 at 7:25 PM
I'm so glad it is working out so well! It sounds amazing. I agree that I don't see how we could do that nationwide as public school...but it would be a huge step if the teachers were as invested as it seems your teachers are. The problem with ps is that teachers that are that invested get burned out very quickly and are not acknowledged or anything. I agree with whoever said get rid of the unions, pay good teachers better, and fire the bad teachers and that would be a huge step in the right direction.

But anyway, I am so happy it is going so well, you are giving her an awesome experience!
AutymsMommy
by Silver Member on Sep. 13, 2013 at 8:29 PM
1 mom liked this

I think a HUGE step in making and keeping teachers more invested COULD be had - simply by returning the freedom to sincerely TEACH to the teachers! Give them back the freedom to teach how they learned to teach and the freedom to choose their own materials and resources!

Quoting TJandKarasMom:

I'm so glad it is working out so well! It sounds amazing. I agree that I don't see how we could do that nationwide as public school...but it would be a huge step if the teachers were as invested as it seems your teachers are. The problem with ps is that teachers that are that invested get burned out very quickly and are not acknowledged or anything. I agree with whoever said get rid of the unions, pay good teachers better, and fire the bad teachers and that would be a huge step in the right direction.

But anyway, I am so happy it is going so well, you are giving her an awesome experience!

I am a Home Schooling, Vaccinating, Non spanking, Nightmare Cuddling, Dessert Giving, Bedtime Kissing, Book Reading, Stay at Home Mom. I believe in the benefit of organized after school activities and nosy, involved parents. I believe in spoiling my children. I believe that I have seen the village and I do not want it anywhere near my children. Now for the controversial stuff:  we're Catholic, we're conservative, and we own guns (now there's no need to ask, lol).             Aimee

Joann.HS
by on Sep. 13, 2013 at 9:31 PM
I could NOT agree more. They are being force fed what to teach. I think smaller child/teacher ratios will almost never happen, but give them back some freedoms. A good PS teacher friend of mine can not even take her class out 5 minutes early for recess or stay out 5 minutes extra. Drives me batty.

Quoting AutymsMommy:

I think a HUGE step in making and keeping teachers more invested COULD be had - simply by returning the freedom to sincerely TEACH to the teachers! Give them back the freedom to teach how they learned to teach and the freedom to choose their own materials and resources!

Quoting TJandKarasMom:

Joann.HS
by on Sep. 13, 2013 at 9:35 PM
I'm pretty positive we will be making a transition into a small, private school for my oldest. It makes me a little nervous, but she'll succeed. :)

Quoting AutymsMommy:

Honestly, if this school went through grade 12, I don't think I would pull her for high school (speaking personally) - my daughter would be devastated.

Yes, I think my daughter will transition fine... but only because all of her classmates will be doing the same (transitioning out). We do have the option of seeking help for placement at a private boarding school for dyslexics, but I don't think I want to go *there*, lol - the only high schools for dyslexics are out of state (far, far, far out of state) and I'm just not sure I'm comfortable with that.

Anyway, back to your question; yes, she will transition fine since they are all leaving at that time - she would not do well if the others stayed and she left though.

It goes through grade 8. Wish they went higher!

Quoting Joann.HS:

That is awesome news. :) We are contemplating enrolling our oldest into a small, private school next year. She is asking and we are on board as well.

I've seen you mention in posts that this current school goes through a certain grade. Do you think she will have a smooth transition back into HS'ing? That is one of my concerns about my own... Although this school goes through 12th grade.

AutymsMommy
by Silver Member on Sep. 14, 2013 at 10:21 AM
1 mom liked this

We are very blessed. We didn't even know about the school until we saw a random ad in the local free parenting magazine! I especially like how they require each perspective student to shadow for a good bit of time, to see if they fit into the school, before even considering enrollment - it shows that they are sincerely after the best interests of the child, not just the tuition money.

Quoting irvinehiker:

You and your dd are very fotrunate to have an opportunity like this. There are only 2 private schools here in town and neither would be right for us. The only b& m I would consider sending my kids to is a Montessori in the next city.

AutymsMommy
by Silver Member on Sep. 14, 2013 at 10:22 AM

Good luck to you guys! I best she's excited!

Quoting Joann.HS:

I'm pretty positive we will be making a transition into a small, private school for my oldest. It makes me a little nervous, but she'll succeed. :)

Quoting AutymsMommy:

Honestly, if this school went through grade 12, I don't think I would pull her for high school (speaking personally) - my daughter would be devastated.

Yes, I think my daughter will transition fine... but only because all of her classmates will be doing the same (transitioning out). We do have the option of seeking help for placement at a private boarding school for dyslexics, but I don't think I want to go *there*, lol - the only high schools for dyslexics are out of state (far, far, far out of state) and I'm just not sure I'm comfortable with that.

Anyway, back to your question; yes, she will transition fine since they are all leaving at that time - she would not do well if the others stayed and she left though.

It goes through grade 8. Wish they went higher!

Quoting Joann.HS:

That is awesome news. :) We are contemplating enrolling our oldest into a small, private school next year. She is asking and we are on board as well.

I've seen you mention in posts that this current school goes through a certain grade. Do you think she will have a smooth transition back into HS'ing? That is one of my concerns about my own... Although this school goes through 12th grade.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN