Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

OT Carseat help

Posted by on Sep. 13, 2013 at 7:53 PM
  • 12 Replies

Sorry about the off topic post, but Ineed some guidance. Our 6 month old DS is 22lbs and 34" long. He outgrew his infant carrier at 3.5 months because he was too long and his shoulders were too wide. We're in an Evenflo (forgot the model name) that is RF up until 40lbs, however, he's on the last few inches of height. We just moved the straps to the last notch and at the rate he's been growing, I forsee us needing a new carseat in the next 2-3 months. Can anyone make any suggestions about a car seat that I can RF a very tall kid for as long as possible. I also need it to fit into small cars (Toyota Echo and VW Golf). I'd like it to be a convertible so it can maybe be the last seat we have to buy him.

I've applied to the carseat forum, but figured I'd get a head start on my research. Thanks ladies.

by on Sep. 13, 2013 at 7:53 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Codysmom2106
by Member on Sep. 13, 2013 at 7:59 PM

The first that comes to mind in terms of rear facing a tall kid depending on torso height would be the my size 70 aka head wise 70 aka size 4 me 70... Lol same seat various names depend on where you buy it from. This is currently the tallest rear facing seat on the market that I am aware of. It only goes to 45 lbs though. Other good seats are the Chico next fit also 40, peg per ego has one with a 45 lb limit as does doing with the radians. Clerk has he fond with a 50 lb weight limit but I believe the overall height on that is about 43" and unfortunately it is very expensive.

We have a my size and absolutely love it! Super easy to use and super easy to install. Never had a problem with it. I'm sure the ladies in the car seat group will be able to give you great suggestions.

wunderwifey
by on Sep. 13, 2013 at 8:08 PM

Thanks. I'll check these out. I don't think weight is going to be an issue. He's not crawling yet so we havent hit that "stunt" in weight. Its just the height I'm concerned with. i'm afraid this kid is going to be 5 feet by the time he's 5! I would like to RF until 2, but I don't know that his height is going to allow it.

tuffymama
by Bronze Member on Sep. 13, 2013 at 8:13 PM
I am so not a carseat person; I went on the recommendations of the very savvy ladies on that other mommy community site. What it came down to out of their top recs was what was the best I could get safety-rating and budget wise that would also fit in our old Acura, because I was not buying two seats. We tried my friend's Britax and it wouldn't really fit well, then we went to TRU and the very helpful people there helped us with trying the Graco and another seat. The MyRide 65 fit the car best. I have a tallish four year old with very wide shoulders like his daddy, and the seat has always fit my pumpkin well. The shoulders issue is why we ditched the Chicco early. LO has had the MyRide for almost two years, and I love it. I don't know if that is what you're looking for, but it fit in our small car.
tuffymama
by Bronze Member on Sep. 13, 2013 at 8:17 PM
Oh! Forgot. We did ERF in the beginning for a little while with the MyRide because LO was so light, and his delays were a bit more profound back then, so I was probably a bit overprotective. He just frog legged it, and was perfectly happy that way. So I'm thinking he has had the chair longer than two years. It would have to be two and a half years.
armygirl16
by Bronze Member on Sep. 13, 2013 at 8:33 PM
2 moms liked this
You can try some out at babies r us in your can, but the mysize is a great one for tall kids. My 5 year old is still rear facing in a diono radian. Graco myride is a nice seat as well, but I would get the mysize over the myride. Oh also the Chicco nexfit
Codysmom2106
by Member on Sep. 13, 2013 at 8:52 PM

If weight is not an issue I would definitely check out the mysize. It is crazy tall. 

wunderwifey
by on Sep. 13, 2013 at 8:52 PM

Quoting armygirl16:

You can try some out at babies r us in your can, but the mysize is a great one for tall kids. My 5 year old is still rear facing in a diono radian. Graco myride is a nice seat as well, but I would get the mysize over the myride. Oh also the Chicco nexfit

5 and RF! thats awesome!

armygirl16
by Bronze Member on Sep. 13, 2013 at 11:23 PM
Yep! :) she still has room to grow and 6lbs left

Quoting wunderwifey:

Quoting armygirl16:

5 and RF! thats awesome!

ablackdolphin
by Bronze Member on Sep. 14, 2013 at 2:40 PM
Britax blvd 70 love it!!! DD just turned and she is 4
Jenn8604
by Member on Sep. 14, 2013 at 2:52 PM
Since I don't know your budget I'm not recommending a seat u can't afford. I say go to babies r us and try every seat in your car that is for taller kids.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN