Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Why skim over info just to get done "by lunch"? (PIOG)

Posted by   + Show Post

....That's how I feel about folks who miraculously get done "by lunch".

I'm sure I just offended someone, but let me explain.  

((My kids are 7 & 5.  My 5yo has been reading since he was 4 and participates in the science and Language arts with his sister.  He does his own math when she does hers, but usually sits out on History b/c he doesn't have the attention yet.))

Someone said that we must be taking too long on the subjects and that they manage 7 to 8 subjects in a day and are still done by early afternoon, if not lunch, when they started at 7 or 8.   That, to me, seems like skimming the information... "Here, honey, read that paragraph on amphibians, answer those four questions and you're done with science for the day."    <-- That's where my mind goes when someone tells me they can get through that many subjects in such a short period of time.  

I am quite certain that I'm spending too much time on subjects, but how can I not?  What I mean is that if I'm teaching my child at home, something that oftentimes gets a lot of criticism, I feel obligated to make sure my kid is actually learning this stuff and not just skimming by.

Here's our schedule, odd by most standards, but I would never be able to fit it all in otherwise:

EVERY DAY starts the same (M-F) Math, Language Arts (nouns, parts of a sentence, etc), and reading a chapter from a novel out loud.  Then each day has a "big" subject (which just means it take a while)

Monday: 
History: We're working our way through American History.  We're on westward expansion and are currently reading the Laura Ingalls Wilder books (this is the chapter read outloud every day).  We've recently finished a book on the Erie Canal and two books on the Pony Express.  We have another on steamboats and railroads waiting... to make way for the transcontinental railroad, after the Civil war... a couple of books at a time and events added to the timeline.  (President study each time we hit a new one.  We're at Andrew Jackson.)

Tuesday:
Science: right now, we are adding peices of their body to their life-size outline on the wall (paper taped to the wall).  We only have the brain and the ears (internal, too).  Tomorrow we're doing the eyes, from the cornea to the brain.  Leaving this to last the rest of 2013, I'd suspect.  (Respiratory system, digestive system, muscles, bones, reproductive, etc.)  We also throw in a scientist or two, and add them to the timeline book.  

Wednesday:
Geography: Each month, we split studies between one country and one state and make a scrapbook-type page with all the flips and fold-outs of the interesting facts.  That goes in her "world book".  She loves it and retains all the info that way.

Thursday has the same start-up, but the rest is filled with library, errands, and catch-up for anything we didn't finish the day(s) before.

Fridays:  same start-up as the rest Then, Creative writing.  This is story, plot, characters, etc.  Journal entries and rough drafts, poetry, whatever.   **(This is our end-early day)**

Saturdays and Sundays are ONLY music and art in the mornings after breakfast, b/c their dad likes to do those with them.  

Many folks may tell me I'm going too in-depth for such a young kid.  But my 7yo is a sponge.  She wants to know more and why and how....  

I am SOOOOOO open for tips and advice.  I am willing (and eager) to do things differently.  

Funny enough, it's the science "projects" the geography "projects" and the numerous History books and stories that take up all our time...  And I truly can't imagine Not being that in-depth, ya know?

ok.  your turn:  Your schedules.  Your advice.  Ready?  Go!

by on Sep. 14, 2013 at 1:55 AM
Replies (21-30):
Jlee4249
by Member on Sep. 14, 2013 at 5:09 PM

Quoting mem82:

Also be careful not to feel that you are a better homeschoolers than anyone else because you *feel* you are covering more or doing more. 8)

Trust me, I definitely don't feel superior.  In fact, I was second-guessing myself b/c that's all I hear from any homeschoolers I talk to recently... "What do you work on all day?"  "We're done by lunch, maybe you're trying to do too much."  "It should never take that long."

mem82
by Platinum Member on Sep. 14, 2013 at 5:14 PM
2 moms liked this

I think maybe (if they are the friendly type lol) they are just worried you will burn out yourself or your kiddos. If that isn't an issue, then just keep on trucking. I mean, if you have the kids chained to the table, or you feel like sobbing by 1pm then maybe you should adjust. If you guys are having a good ol' time, then why fix what isn't broke? lol

Quoting Jlee4249:

Quoting mem82:

Also be careful not to feel that you are a better homeschoolers than anyone else because you *feel* you are covering more or doing more. 8)

Trust me, I definitely don't feel superior.  In fact, I was second-guessing myself b/c that's all I hear from any homeschoolers I talk to recently... "What do you work on all day?"  "We're done by lunch, maybe you're trying to do too much."  "It should never take that long."

TidewaterClan
by on Sep. 14, 2013 at 5:58 PM
2 moms liked this
I have a 3rd grader & 6th grader. My 6th grader starts at 8 & gets her math, etc., lessons & assignments. My 3rd grader starts at 9. We all take an hour for lunch & recess, then wrap up the day around 2:30-3:00. We do math, language arts (reading/comprehension/etc.), social studies, science, French, and an extra class - art, music, PE, health, each day.

My 6th grader gets an extra break if she finished before lunch.

If you & your children are happy that's all that matters. We have a lot of discussions about our subjects, so that's why we take longer than some. :) My girls are both having fun & learning so that's what counts.
ablackdolphin
by Bronze Member on Sep. 15, 2013 at 9:15 AM
1 mom liked this
Is anyone really ever finished?? I feel like my kids are learning all the time. The games they play online are ones I have selected like Oola Island for reading or Little Pim French DVD or their Father doing French coloring books etc

Yes I do have a schedule for Math Science etc and at her age ( not yet 4) I can do about 15 min per subject other than reading which she loves and will dob45 min or more

I think it is just diff styles and diff kids and you cannot really compare kwim?
QueenCreole313
by Julia on Sep. 15, 2013 at 9:23 AM
1 mom liked this
I think everyone has to do what's best for them. We don't start until 10. My so. Has severe ADHD so he needs breaks though he day. I'm not a clock watcher so I have no idea how long each subject takes. As long as we are learning I'm good.
jen2150
by Silver Member on Sep. 15, 2013 at 9:34 AM
1 mom liked this
We do about 3-4 hours per day. We go in depth. We have a morning and afternoon session with a 2-3 hour break between the sessions. I can see getting done by lunch if you start early and don't take many breaks. My boys are busy learning all day long. Do what works for you. It sounds great.
lucsch
by on Sep. 15, 2013 at 10:35 AM
1 mom liked this

My 5th grader spends about 4-5 hours per day on schoolwork. She doesn't know yet that there are two more subjects and possibly a third that I want to add...

I assume I am no help in your situation, except to say when she was a first grader, 2 hours was plenty enough for her; and I would say she is advanced now in comparison to public schooled kids. The basics are enough at that age, supplemented with fun read-alouds and plenty of play and exploration. 

debramommyof4
by Silver Member on Sep. 15, 2013 at 11:06 AM
I am wish you had worded your post different because I was upset on the other post. Now that I have read this I will tell you how I work it out. Though my older 2 are advanced and maybe my younger 2 as well.

My 7 year old is currently awaiting books from the charter we report to. I am making up all of her curriculum.

She has a complete curriculum workbook for 3rd grade and does the math in that. She can pick up concepts in a hour class and move on from there and make huge leaps in comprehension all on her own in math. So as long as I assign her work and explain it once or show it to her on khan academy she is happy in math and pretty self sufficient. That is just her.

In lit we are reading Little House in the Big Woods and she is doing a lapbook for that. She reads a chapter one day and does the lapbook pieces the next day. She does spelling using the complete curriculum workbook and we spend an hour on proof reading lately because she is getting ready to write a short paper.

For science we just finished a month on the solar system and she just has to finish filling it in and painting and putting together the model.

We switch of history and science so starting Tuesday we will be studying Ancient Egypt for a month.

She practices writing cursive daily also.

She gets a list of what needs done and I spend about an hour and a half hours physically teaching her. She has tried doing school most of the day and even with breaks it does not work for her.

My 6 year old is with CAVA. Her work is to easy so I do add stuff but she pretty much is just working to finish this year then she will be with her sister at the other charter and besides math they will be doing the same work.

My 4 year old is done with in 2 hours. He is doing kindergarten work but he can not concentrate very long and 2 hours is probably to much even though he takes breaks.

He and my 3 year old do circle time with the calendar and weather then my 3 year old gets some worksheets to scribble on while my son and I go over a word family and practice reading the words. We play word games and we are trying something new. Building words on the floor then finding them on the wall. We are jumping from letter to letter sounding out the letters and then putting the letter sounds together when we find the word on the wall.

In math he is playing a few math games and learning to add and subtract, patterns and things like that.

If he gets all his work done he can play on starfall or abcmouse.

I know my schedule and the things we do for actual school may not seem like it is that in depth but it truly is and the best part is it is just what my kids like and the way they learn best. What you do seems to work best for your family and how your children learn.

The only right way to homeschool is to actually be there and ensure your kids learn. Other than that there is no right way and wrong way. You can homeschool a preschooler for 8 hours a day if they will pay attention and not throw fits or 15 min like I do my preschooler who I forgot to mention is working on letter of the week.

I do not think anyone ever stops learning and I proudly tell people my 7 year old prefers to watch documentaries. My 3 and 4 year old love Word World and the Wild Kratts. My 6 year olds favorite show is My Little Pony however. But I have 3 out of 4 choose educational shows over junk. Not bad. But I can not take credit for them liking them better. That is their personality which is all them.

Learning is fun here and no matter what we do we learn something. Last night for example we watched the Hunchback of Notre Dame. The kids wanted to know about Notre Dame Cathedral so we discussed the city and country and looked up pictures then we talked about visiting it one day.

Quoting mem82:

I think maybe (if they are the friendly type lol) they are just worried you will burn out yourself or your kiddos. If that isn't an issue, then just keep on trucking. I mean, if you have the kids chained to the table, or you feel like sobbing by 1pm then maybe you should adjust. If you guys are having a good ol' time, then why fix what isn't broke? lol

Quoting Jlee4249:

Quoting mem82:

Leissaintexas
by Bronze Member on Sep. 15, 2013 at 11:35 AM

You have to remember that at the young ages, skimming is all that they need to do. Its certainly not the last time they will ever see that material. Lets take pilgrims for example. at young ages, they learn that a group of people came over on a boat for religious freedom. As they get older, they learn about the disease and hunger that killed most of them. Then in high school they learn about the political motivations and the cultural repercussions of broken treaties with the Native Americans. So as they get older, they get more info, and longer lessons. I don't have to "go deep" for hours and hours with a 7 yr old. They've got many more years to go deep. I'm not going to risk burnout at a young age by being too laborious with school.

AnnieGoolaheey
by Member on Sep. 15, 2013 at 11:39 AM
2 moms liked this

We are never done by lunch.  We don't get started until 9 or 10 am because I also work evenings, usually unill 11pm or 12 am. We also take breaks for lunch and go to the park.  If I try to get my son to do too much he shuts down and I'll lose him for the day.  I've been told I am wrong for taking so many breaks with him, but I'll do what it takes to help him focus and learn.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)