Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Do you use the word "school" with your kids?

Posted by on Sep. 14, 2013 at 8:39 PM
  • 38 Replies
1 mom liked this

I mean when it's time to sit down and study, do you say it's "time for school?" I'm sorry if that's a dumb question! I'm just trying to slowly prepare my daughter for more directed learning and I feel awkward using the word school, when what we're doing is decidedly not school. I'm setting up a little classroom -- there's another one, there's no class, so it's a whatroom?? -- for her with a table and chair that will be used specifically for "school" type work and I don't know how to explain it to her without using words that don't feel like they fit!

Am I overthinking? I'd love to know what other homeshcool moms do.

by on Sep. 14, 2013 at 8:39 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
oredeb
by on Sep. 14, 2013 at 8:46 PM

wow never thought about your question before, i do use the word school, it doesnt matter to me nowdays, just as long as we are learning. i have a room for schooling in but we do schooling all over the house and outside, so anyhwere we feel like sitting or laying is where you'll find us.

kmath
by Silver Member on Sep. 14, 2013 at 8:49 PM

Never really thought about it.  I don't guess I really say anything.  I say let's get to it, or do you want to start with math?  We have a school "room" but it is more of just a place to keep our supplies.  He tends to school where ever he feels like ploping down at that time. 

jwhit8791
by Jessica on Sep. 14, 2013 at 9:01 PM

I guess that I don't understand why you view what you do as "not school".  I have no problem telling my children it's time for school, because that is what we are doing.  We are learning just like they would if they were in a public school building.

I guess if it makes you uncomfortable, then maybe come up with a phrasing that doesn't make you feel that way.

TJandKarasMom
by Debbie on Sep. 14, 2013 at 9:02 PM

My kids went to school up until this year (they just started 5th and 6th grades).  So they know what school is, and they now know what homeschool is.  I usually call it "school work."  Like "you have to finish all your school work first"

We don't have a school room.  We do have an area set aside that is just a bookshelf and a drawer thing where we keep supplies, and we call that the school area.  I guess we just call it school because that's what it is to us even though it's not the typical school.

debramommyof4
by Silver Member on Sep. 14, 2013 at 9:02 PM
1 mom liked this
I do. We are learning and that is what I think school is for. So that is the word that fits. I have a room also. I call it the school room. Though we have been using their beds, the trampoline and kitchen table also.

But our school room is where all our stuff for learning goes.
BatMom.
by on Sep. 14, 2013 at 9:04 PM
I sure do.
Karmea
by Member on Sep. 14, 2013 at 9:11 PM
1 mom liked this
Quoting jwhit8791:

I guess that I don't understand why you view what you do as "not school".

I think I'm just a really literal person. School is institutionalized learning with groups of people. We're just a house with a kid, trying to approach learning like humans rather than institutions.

Quoting jwhit8791:

I guess if it makes you uncomfortable, then maybe come up with a phrasing that doesn't make you feel that way.

Yup! That's why I'm here, looking for suggestions.

puglove029
by Member on Sep. 14, 2013 at 9:19 PM

If I had a room I would call it a school room, but I don't have one so it's called my dining room :)

ripemango
by Member on Sep. 14, 2013 at 9:22 PM

we call it school work.....but we don't say it's time for school

w what you are describing i would call it her school room or classroom

I don't know where the sunbeams end and the starlights begin; it's all a mystery.

mem82
by Platinum Member on Sep. 14, 2013 at 9:42 PM
Yes, I use the term school.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)