Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Do you use the word "school" with your kids?

Posted by   + Show Post

I mean when it's time to sit down and study, do you say it's "time for school?" I'm sorry if that's a dumb question! I'm just trying to slowly prepare my daughter for more directed learning and I feel awkward using the word school, when what we're doing is decidedly not school. I'm setting up a little classroom -- there's another one, there's no class, so it's a whatroom?? -- for her with a table and chair that will be used specifically for "school" type work and I don't know how to explain it to her without using words that don't feel like they fit!

Am I overthinking? I'd love to know what other homeshcool moms do.

by on Sep. 14, 2013 at 8:39 PM
Replies (11-20):
usmom3
by BJ on Sep. 14, 2013 at 9:47 PM
I try to not use those words but we unschool & most everything we do looks nothing like school. We remodeled our dinning room into a computer/learning center but we call it the office. When I want to do something or share something educational with them I usually just say "Hay come check this out guys!" It works because they know I find some pretty cool stuff to show them.
twyliatepeka
by Bronze Member on Sep. 15, 2013 at 1:07 AM

we do use the S word but I don't like to I feel like that more describes sitting in a stuffy room all day with a load of other kids than it describes what we do. We call where our stuff is the classroom but really it is just the back half of our livingroom. We do most of her work in the livingroom but she does have a table she uses sometimes too. 

Knightquester
by Bronze Member on Sep. 15, 2013 at 1:48 AM

I use the term school work, in relation to the work I give them that is school related, otherwise I don't use the term school with them for the most part.

I wouldn't worry about the semantics of the whole schooling thing, just do what you feel is comfortable and feels natural, the rest will fall into place.

Karmea
by Member on Sep. 15, 2013 at 2:24 AM
1 mom liked this

I agree - because that's sure what school meant when I was growing up. I also feel like it's the name of a broken system, and I don't want to name our efforts after a broken system. Bad juju. ;-)

For now, I think I'm just going to avoid naming it at all and stick with drawing her to activities. "Come sit at your table and we'll play with your marbles!" There. Now it's math time. Maybe the language will evolve naturally.

Quoting twyliatepeka:

we do use the S word but I don't like to I feel like that more describes sitting in a stuffy room all day with a load of other kids than it describes what we do.

Remy11
by Member on Sep. 15, 2013 at 8:30 AM
I personally think its important to use school.. One reason is because it is school.. It's the way we tech and it doesn't have to have the connotation of sitting in a building like robots. That is a world connotation but it doesn't have to be yours.. Dispelling that notion would be a great lesson for a child.
jellybeans5
by Member on Sep. 15, 2013 at 8:58 AM

Could you call it the activity room and it can double for both school work & crafts ? Instead of using the word school you could use lessons or learning activities. (lesson time? )

We have a room that was painted purple and everything in it is purple. We call it the purple room and it's purple room time or onward to the purple room. Ya, I know we're weird, lol

ablackdolphin
by Bronze Member on Sep. 15, 2013 at 9:06 AM
Yep, DD is nearly 4 and she is so excited for it. We have a school room that is closed off when not in use so they cant just wander in makes it more exciting plus it is time with mommy with out baby brother and she loves that Dh even noticed our our relationship mine and dds has gotten better she prefers me now
ablackdolphin
by Bronze Member on Sep. 15, 2013 at 9:07 AM
We have a toyroom and a schoolroom
No_Difference
by Silver Member on Sep. 15, 2013 at 9:19 AM

I use the term school. We have a "school nook" that my Little Guy likes to call the learning nook. For awhile he would also ask, "Is it time for learning?" or "Is it time for me to get smart?" lol. So for him I didn't use the word school for awhile, but since my oldest calls it school, he started calling it school so "learning time" and "smart time" has slowly dwindled away lol

lucsch
by Bronze Member on Sep. 15, 2013 at 10:53 AM

I do, as we definitely have a daily school time. It is not exactly school-at-home, though. It isn't that structured, but we use a curriculum.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)