Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Do you use the word "school" with your kids?

Posted by   + Show Post

I mean when it's time to sit down and study, do you say it's "time for school?" I'm sorry if that's a dumb question! I'm just trying to slowly prepare my daughter for more directed learning and I feel awkward using the word school, when what we're doing is decidedly not school. I'm setting up a little classroom -- there's another one, there's no class, so it's a whatroom?? -- for her with a table and chair that will be used specifically for "school" type work and I don't know how to explain it to her without using words that don't feel like they fit!

Am I overthinking? I'd love to know what other homeshcool moms do.

by on Sep. 14, 2013 at 8:39 PM
Replies (21-30):
Karmea
by Member on Sep. 15, 2013 at 10:55 AM

Aw, I think learning nook is cute :-)

Quoting No_Difference:

I use the term school. We have a "school nook" that my Little Guy likes to call the learning nook. For awhile he would also ask, "Is it time for learning?" or "Is it time for me to get smart?" lol. So for him I didn't use the word school for awhile, but since my oldest calls it school, he started calling it school so "learning time" and "smart time" has slowly dwindled away lol

Karmea
by Member on Sep. 15, 2013 at 11:01 AM

Oh, that's just a tiny bit weird!  We celebrate weird in this house. I love to hear about things people do that are a little (or a lot!) different from everyone else. Thanks for the visual :-).

Quoting jellybeans5:

We have a room that was painted purple and everything in it is purple. We call it the purple room and it's purple room time or onward to the purple room. Ya, I know we're weird, lol

tuffymama
by Bronze Member on Sep. 15, 2013 at 1:07 PM
We call it school. LO will sometimes ask to "do school," or tell my dad he's been "getting smart doing school." LOL. We use our backporch, and the living and dining rooms for school. We call those rooms what they are, but we are looking for a bigger house now, with a room to dedicate as a playroom and workroom. We do so much arts and crafts in the course of LO's therapy and learning, I basically need a crafts room with space to store his train table and most of his toys. No "schoolroom" for us! The sofa is LO's favorite space to work.
paganbaby
by Silver Member on Sep. 15, 2013 at 1:47 PM

I just say it's time to get started on our work. And we don't homeschool, we child led learn ;-)

amanda.lyn
by Member on Sep. 15, 2013 at 2:09 PM
We always said school. But for some reason my little guy likes to say subjects. As in, come on it's time to do our subjects. I think it's cute...
hipmomto3
by Bronze Member on Sep. 15, 2013 at 4:00 PM
We definitely do. It's school time, they have school work, they answer "I am homeschooled," when asked where they attend school. School is a place where you learn. Can mean a typical b&m classroom of little desks and chairs, but can also be a 'cooking school,' a laboratory, a room in a public library for adult continuing ed, even a verb. It's synonymous with teach as a verb. "I am home taught" is just as correct, but more typical to say home schooled.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Jinx-Troublex3
by Jinx on Sep. 15, 2013 at 4:03 PM
We.use school also. My boys went to ps so for them, learning time is "school"
QueenCreole313
by Julia on Sep. 15, 2013 at 4:14 PM

Great question! I havent read the responses yet but to answer your questin no I dont say school. I think school is a place and it has negative connotations to the kid. I say "lessons". We will have x lessons today. I hope this helps! 

Karmea
by Member on Sep. 15, 2013 at 4:18 PM

Thank you, that does help. I started a folder on my computer for her called Lessons, so I do think we'll be using that. And I agree about school being a place. In my case, my daughter has never been to a school so the negative connotations are all mine!

Quoting QueenCreole313:

Great question! I havent read the responses yet but to answer your questin no I dont say school. I think school is a place and it has negative connotations to the kid. I say "lessons". We will have x lessons today. I hope this helps! 

QueenCreole313
by Julia on Sep. 15, 2013 at 4:20 PM
1 mom liked this

Mykid has Aspergers so he is very literal. If we even say the word school he cringes. I do threaten to send him to school if he gets lazy with his lessons. That usually fixes things pretty quickly! Lol

Quoting Karmea:

Thank you, that does help. I started a folder on my computer for her called Lessons, so I do think we'll be using that. And I agree about school being a place. In my case, my daughter has never been to a school so the negative connotations are all mine!

Quoting QueenCreole313:

My

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)