Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Do you use the word "school" with your kids?

Posted by   + Show Post

I mean when it's time to sit down and study, do you say it's "time for school?" I'm sorry if that's a dumb question! I'm just trying to slowly prepare my daughter for more directed learning and I feel awkward using the word school, when what we're doing is decidedly not school. I'm setting up a little classroom -- there's another one, there's no class, so it's a whatroom?? -- for her with a table and chair that will be used specifically for "school" type work and I don't know how to explain it to her without using words that don't feel like they fit!

Am I overthinking? I'd love to know what other homeshcool moms do.

by on Sep. 14, 2013 at 8:39 PM
Replies (31-38):
tiredmomfor2
by **Lyndsay** on Sep. 15, 2013 at 8:01 PM
I use the term school a lot.
You could call it the learning run and have learning time.
1CynfulDlite
by on Sep. 15, 2013 at 8:18 PM

Yep we use school here too.  My son sees other kids get on the bus or off the bus coming and going from school and he's excited about the concept so he like to do 'school' work. He even asks if we can do school work together.  Doesn't take us long to get through his lessons so I suppliment with things here and there but he loves the idea of school.

bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on Sep. 16, 2013 at 7:56 AM
2 moms liked this

In our house "school" is something you "do" and not somewhere you go.  When we talk about the elementary school at the end of the road we call it the Brick and Mortar or as my son quipps the "BM" which is what we called the dirty diapers when my kids were much younger (as in "that was a massive BM").  My oldest went to the B&M for a year and a half, he hated it and it didn't work for us.  I had to majorly "de-school" when he came home.  But he doesn't have an aversion to the word "school" the way he has to the word "test."  We don't use that word at all!!  We say you'll show what you know, we say I'm giving an assessment of your skills, we "check out the facts" but saying "test" still makes him nearly vomit.

We also have a "classroom."  But I do have quite a little group of students (3) and they are often in class together.  They even raise their hands sometimes especially when big brother is hogging all the answers.  The youngers want to show what they know too!  LOL  As far as I'm concerned our classroom is fashioned after the little one room schoolhouses of yesteryear, kwim?

sha_lyn68
by Bronze Member on Sep. 16, 2013 at 10:54 AM
1 mom liked this

Quoting Karmea:

Quoting jwhit8791:

I guess that I don't understand why you view what you do as "not school".

I think I'm just a really literal person. School is institutionalized learning with groups of people. We're just a house with a kid, trying to approach learning like humans rather than institutions.

Quoting jwhit8791:

I guess if it makes you uncomfortable, then maybe come up with a phrasing that doesn't make you feel that way.

Yup! That's why I'm here, looking for suggestions.

School has more than one accepted common meaning. 

"Program of instruction" and "a session of coursework" absolutely do not require an institution or a group of people. 

StepDucky
by Sarah on Sep. 16, 2013 at 3:19 PM
1 mom liked this
We call our room the school room and I use the word school all the time. It's still learning and if you have some structure to it, why would you call it school?
kirbymom
by Sonja on Sep. 16, 2013 at 5:27 PM
1 mom liked this
Hi. :). This is a very interesting post. I really never consciously thought about the term/word "school" before today. But I also don't use it singularly either. I also say its lesson time or let's get to it. I will even say its time for learning. You could use any one if those terms to associate "schooling" with. Also, I love the term coined by 'no difference' ... " Learning Nook " for the "place" where the learning will be taking place primarily.
bether89
by Bronze Member on Sep. 17, 2013 at 12:10 AM
1 mom liked this

I use the word "school", because we are still doing schoolwork just not the same way as others do.

celticdragon77
by on Sep. 17, 2013 at 1:35 AM

Yes, it is "school" here. We do not have a "classroom". They say I am their "teacher". We have "math time" and the etc. These terms are used loosely, among others. It is what it is.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)