Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Does this happen with anyone else?

Posted by   + Show Post

My daughter can finish a math worksheet in mere minutes and get the majority of the asnwers correct (she'd get it all right if she would take an extra minute to look it over and check her work because the mistakes are usually pretty obvious...but thats a different issue). When she takes the math test though, it takes HOURS.

We're using Math U See. I don't give her the test unless I know she really understands the lesson. We do the first worksheet in the lesson together one day, and I back off as I see her understanding. Thursdays if I think she's got it, she has to teach the problems on the review worksheet to me, and then Friday she takes the test if she's got it all down. We did it that way all last year and it worked really really well, and there were no issues. This year... I hand her the test booklet and it literally takes HOURS. Usually  1 hr 15 minutes on the first page, and 1 hr 15 minutes on the second page. As soon as she finishes it she does a reading and science test, and occasionally a history test. Those 2-3 tests are on average 3-4 pages not 2 pages, and she can finish ALL of them in less time cummulatively than it does for the one stinking 2 page math test!! I'm going crazy with. She keeps saying shes distracted, but I could have her in a white padded cell with nothing to look at, no music, nothing, and she'd still be "distracted." I've tried taking points off for taking too long ( we did 5 points for every 10 minutes over an hour which I still think was giving way more than enough time), and she could care less. Grades do not motivate her at all. I've tried bribery which didn't work either. I just am at a loss as what to try next to get her finished with it far faster than what she has been.

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers

by on Sep. 15, 2013 at 9:38 AM
Replies (11-20):
paganbaby
by Silver Member on Sep. 15, 2013 at 8:19 PM

How does the test differ from her regular work sheets?

No_Difference
by Silver Member on Sep. 15, 2013 at 8:41 PM

She gets to listen to music provided she doesn't start singing the math problems to the music she's listening to, otherwise that becomes a distraction to herself and everyone else (plus bless her heart, she is so out of tune even the dog starts to howl).  We also don't call them tests or treat them like a test.

Quoting tiredmomfor2:

My son does well with math, but the second you tell him it is a test it looses all him confidence..drags his feet etc.
Maybe it is the test part that makes her so slow.
Have you considered letting her listen to music while she works. classical or instrumental. In some cases it has been known to help with focus.

No_Difference
by Silver Member on Sep. 15, 2013 at 8:43 PM

It doesn't. The worksheets are 2 pages, the test are 2 pages, and they're written exactly the same, with the exact same set up. That's I think is what kills me. The 2 page worksheet takes mere minutes and the two page test that looks exactly the same takes 2-3 hours.

Quoting paganbaby:

SarahNElijah
by Member on Sep. 15, 2013 at 9:31 PM
Just a thought, but maybe you could switch this year to doing the test for a certain section one week after the lessons have been taught.. Then you could tell her it is review to make sure she remembers what you did last week? Or even tell her you won't do the tests anymore as long as she can prove a week later that she remembers the subject matter (by doing the 'review' i.e. test.. LOL).

I don't know if this would help.. I just thought, if she obviously knows the material and can even teach it to you, perhaps it is boredom OR pressure since the test is the one that matters..?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
paganbaby
by Silver Member on Sep. 15, 2013 at 10:26 PM

In that case, lie to her. Or at least don't tell her it's a test. That way she'll finish it in minutes and not know the difference :-)

Quoting No_Difference:

It doesn't. The worksheets are 2 pages, the test are 2 pages, and they're written exactly the same, with the exact same set up. That's I think is what kills me. The 2 page worksheet takes mere minutes and the two page test that looks exactly the same takes 2-3 hours.

Quoting paganbaby:

Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Breastfeeding tickers

bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on Sep. 16, 2013 at 8:04 AM

How about have her "teach" you the test.  Sit with her and have her explain what she is doing and write in the answers herself too.  Just like the review day.  Also we don't call them tests or DS(8) nearly throws up.

No_Difference
by Silver Member on Sep. 16, 2013 at 9:00 AM

I'll have to try that. We don't call them tests, we call them reviews already so this might work. I've blocked out the word test on everything, it is a "reivew book" instead of a "test book" lol.

Quoting SarahNElijah:

Just a thought, but maybe you could switch this year to doing the test for a certain section one week after the lessons have been taught.. Then you could tell her it is review to make sure she remembers what you did last week? Or even tell her you won't do the tests anymore as long as she can prove a week later that she remembers the subject matter (by doing the 'review' i.e. test.. LOL).

I don't know if this would help.. I just thought, if she obviously knows the material and can even teach it to you, perhaps it is boredom OR pressure since the test is the one that matters..?

No_Difference
by Silver Member on Sep. 16, 2013 at 9:03 AM

We don't call it a test, we call it review and blocked out any hint that it could be a test. I present the sheet to her exactly like any other math worksheet too.

Quoting paganbaby:

In that case, lie to her. Or at least don't tell her it's a test. That way she'll finish it in minutes and not know the difference :-)

Quoting No_Difference:

Quoting paganbaby:

No_Difference
by Silver Member on Sep. 16, 2013 at 9:04 AM
1 mom liked this

We don't call them tests either. It's a review ;). I will try this too!!! Thank you :)

Quoting bluerooffarm:

How about have her "teach" you the test.  Sit with her and have her explain what she is doing and write in the answers herself too.  Just like the review day.  Also we don't call them tests or DS(8) nearly throws up.

1CynfulDlite
by on Sep. 16, 2013 at 12:08 PM

Give her the test and don't make such a big deal out of it.  Break it in to segmants and time her and see how many she does in half an hour.  Play Beat the clock!  Make it more of a game kind of like a game show. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)