Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Does this happen with anyone else?

Posted by   + Show Post

My daughter can finish a math worksheet in mere minutes and get the majority of the asnwers correct (she'd get it all right if she would take an extra minute to look it over and check her work because the mistakes are usually pretty obvious...but thats a different issue). When she takes the math test though, it takes HOURS.

We're using Math U See. I don't give her the test unless I know she really understands the lesson. We do the first worksheet in the lesson together one day, and I back off as I see her understanding. Thursdays if I think she's got it, she has to teach the problems on the review worksheet to me, and then Friday she takes the test if she's got it all down. We did it that way all last year and it worked really really well, and there were no issues. This year... I hand her the test booklet and it literally takes HOURS. Usually  1 hr 15 minutes on the first page, and 1 hr 15 minutes on the second page. As soon as she finishes it she does a reading and science test, and occasionally a history test. Those 2-3 tests are on average 3-4 pages not 2 pages, and she can finish ALL of them in less time cummulatively than it does for the one stinking 2 page math test!! I'm going crazy with. She keeps saying shes distracted, but I could have her in a white padded cell with nothing to look at, no music, nothing, and she'd still be "distracted." I've tried taking points off for taking too long ( we did 5 points for every 10 minutes over an hour which I still think was giving way more than enough time), and she could care less. Grades do not motivate her at all. I've tried bribery which didn't work either. I just am at a loss as what to try next to get her finished with it far faster than what she has been.

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers

by on Sep. 15, 2013 at 9:38 AM
Replies (21-24):
paganbaby
by Silver Member on Sep. 16, 2013 at 12:32 PM

Honestly, I wouldn't even call it a reveiw. I'd just hand her the paper and pretend it's only another math worksheet.

Quoting No_Difference:

We don't call it a test, we call it review and blocked out any hint that it could be a test. I present the sheet to her exactly like any other math worksheet too.

Quoting paganbaby:

In that case, lie to her. Or at least don't tell her it's a test. That way she'll finish it in minutes and not know the difference :-)

Quoting No_Difference:

It doesn't. The worksheets are 2 pages, the test are 2 pages, and they're written exactly the same, with the exact same set up. That's I think is what kills me. The 2 page worksheet takes mere minutes and the two page test that looks exactly the same takes 2-3 hours.

Quoting paganbaby:

How does the test differ from her regular work sheets?

Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Breastfeeding tickers

KrissyKC
by Silver Member on Sep. 17, 2013 at 12:37 AM

If she understands it, why not offer to skip some work if she can complete the assessment quickly and correctly?

Example, have her watch the video, teach it back to you using the first page or two of the lesson.     If she REALLY understands it, then the next day have her take the assessment in X amount of time with X amount of problems correct... and she can skip the rest of the lesson and move on.

KrissyKC
by Silver Member on Sep. 17, 2013 at 12:40 AM

My kids are the opposite.   They LOVE being tested... and they perform better on the math assessments and tests.

I had a plan to really only include their tests and assessments as the major part of their grade, but after seeing my daughter's constant careless mistakes on the worksheets while scoring 100% on the assessments....   well, I decided that I need to impress on her that ALL of the work of her hands deserves the same effort and I score her worksheets now, too.

((we just started MUS this year, too.))

No_Difference
by Silver Member on Sep. 17, 2013 at 8:11 AM

I probably could skip more of the worksheets so by test time she's not bored, but I guess i get slightly nervous every once in awhile with it when we're doing so little already. For instance, last week, we finished up Chapter 30 in the Gamma book (finishing up last year's stuff) and it was super easy for her so the first day she did worksheet A, the next day she taught me the review back in worksheet E, and then the third day she took the Chapter 30 test. Thinking it was an off day, the next day we played a review game of the entire book, we skipped the Unit test, and just did the Final test, but only two pages of it instead of the full 4. Both times, she sat there for 2 hours "working" as she called it. I'm more certain it was thinking about everything else she wanted to do when she was done with school. I let her pick what subject she wants to do when so we can avoid some of the mind wandering, but for some reason this started happening and it's driving me crazy. I think with the last two chapters of the Gamma book, I probably could have just taught her the lesson, the next day have her teach it back with no worksheets at all and given her the test though.

Quoting KrissyKC:

If she understands it, why not offer to skip some work if she can complete the assessment quickly and correctly?

Example, have her watch the video, teach it back to you using the first page or two of the lesson.     If she REALLY understands it, then the next day have her take the assessment in X amount of time with X amount of problems correct... and she can skip the rest of the lesson and move on.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)