Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

How often do you take breaks? (weeks off)

Posted by on Sep. 15, 2013 at 11:39 AM
  • 6 Replies

This is our first year doing year round. We started Aug 1 and this week we are taking our first week off aka Family Week. Everyone gets to choose what they want to do (including me). 

How often do you take a break? 

Progressive, Single, Homeschooling, Working Mother to One Twice-Exceptional Kid all done with the Motto of Faith, Family & Fun!

love you sign

by on Sep. 15, 2013 at 11:39 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
kmath
by Silver Member on Sep. 15, 2013 at 11:51 AM

As of right now we aren't doing year round because of my work schedule during the summer.  We do take days off when we need a break and will take time off around his birthday, Halloween, and Christmas.  Probably a couple days around Thanksgiving as well.  Halloween won't be completely off as we are going to learn about the traditions and religions that are associated with it, but we won't do our daily stuff.

tuffymama
by Bronze Member on Sep. 15, 2013 at 12:49 PM
I will endeavor to always have LO studying year round. We take breaks when DH has time off, and tha is how it will be for the foreseeable future, whether it is a day or a week. Truthfully, this doesn't happen very often, so I will probably institute a day or more off every month when LO is older, and take a week every couple of months. It's nice to have field trips, too, because they feel like breaks.
mem82
by Platinum Member on Sep. 15, 2013 at 12:58 PM
Once every 6 to 8 weeks with days off here and there.
ambertreas76
by on Sep. 15, 2013 at 1:56 PM

We're actually on a break at the moment... However, I do believe that each and every day, even when school is 'technically' on break, is a learning experience.  

As far as our current 'break' goes, we ended up in a temporary furnished apartment because the house we were renting had toxic black mold.  It's amazing how sick that stuff will make ya.  Now we are detoxing and getting out of the 'mold fog'.  The good thing is that it pushed us out of Ocala and down to St. Cloud (where we really want to be in FL). We should start back up with our formal school stuff in about a week.

candiedgala
by on Sep. 15, 2013 at 2:09 PM
I found out the expected number of teaching days in our school district and subtracted it from 365 and that gave me my time off. Then I booked off Sundays, all the holidays and my husband's vacation days. Then I assigned the remaining time off to make more long weekends throughout the year.
oredeb
by on Sep. 15, 2013 at 6:06 PM

our only break is end of may- middle of sept for any long breaks, short breaks hmmm maybe the day before thanksgiving so we can get all the stuff made for our families dinner, but thats about it.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN