Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

What exactly is Language Arts?

Posted by on Sep. 15, 2013 at 5:15 PM
  • 16 Replies

My state requires recordkeeping on Reading and Language Arts.  I always considered the part of the same thing.

What do you cover under "Language Arts"?

by on Sep. 15, 2013 at 5:15 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Chasing3
by Bronze Member on Sep. 15, 2013 at 5:28 PM
2 moms liked this

I think it's grammar, spelling, vocabulary and writing

buckeyetravels
by on Sep. 15, 2013 at 5:32 PM

Well when I was in school it was english, spelling, and reading.  Until I got to 8th grade and then it was just English (reading and writing).

I would consider Language Arts the following:

• Reading
  • Writing
  • Spelling
  • Vocabulary
  • Essays
ablackdolphin
by Bronze Member on Sep. 15, 2013 at 5:46 PM

Great, that's what I was thinking but I was thrown for a loop when I saw reading as a separate subject.

TJandKarasMom
by Debbie on Sep. 15, 2013 at 5:51 PM

Writing, spelling, vocab, and grammar. Reading as well, but that is listed separately. 

Molimomma
by Bronze Member on Sep. 15, 2013 at 5:53 PM

Grammar, writing, spelling, & vocabulary. I would include reading in there too but I guess the state felt the need to explicitly state reading instruction needed to be taught.

buckeyetravels
by on Sep. 15, 2013 at 6:05 PM

Forgot about grammar.  Oops.  Yeah that would be part of Language Arts as well.  

1CynfulDlite
by on Sep. 15, 2013 at 6:48 PM

Any thing and every thing to do with reading and writing starting with the basics in Kindergarten.  I'm on a public school curriculum and they cover basic reading/sight word recognition, letter recognition and writing and knowing parts of a story like plot, setting,characters, beginning, middle, end and they use stories like The Little Red Hen and such so nothing super complicated for Kinder.

ablackdolphin
by Bronze Member on Sep. 15, 2013 at 7:35 PM

Thanks ladies!!

AutymsMommy
by Silver Member on Sep. 15, 2013 at 8:26 PM

I know my dd's school lists literature separately from language arts, but that could be because it's a special needs school. Even at home, though, I generally separated them.

LA for us:

Writing

Spelling

Grammar

Reading comprehension or phonics if necessary

Vocabulary

I am a Home Schooling, Vaccinating, Non spanking, Nightmare Cuddling, Dessert Giving, Bedtime Kissing, Book Reading, Stay at Home Mom. I believe in the benefit of organized after school activities and nosy, involved parents. I believe in spoiling my children. I believe that I have seen the village and I do not want it anywhere near my children. Now for the controversial stuff:  we're Catholic, we're conservative, and we own guns (now there's no need to ask, lol).             Aimee

usmom3
by BJ on Sep. 15, 2013 at 8:54 PM
I would combine the 2 because they really do go together.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN