Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

What exactly is Language Arts?

Posted by   + Show Post

My state requires recordkeeping on Reading and Language Arts.  I always considered the part of the same thing.

What do you cover under "Language Arts"?

by on Sep. 15, 2013 at 5:15 PM
Replies (11-16):
bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on Sep. 16, 2013 at 7:22 AM

Reading is a seperate course.  It is really reading comprehension and "phonics" or whatever other method you use to teach the actual skills of reading.  Most schools have a "Reading" course up to 9th grade.  It teaches the difference between skimming for information and reading for meaning.  It practices speed reading techniques and slow methodical reading techniques.

Language Arts is Literature, Informational Reading, Literary Terms, Spelling, Vocabulary, Grammar and Punctuation, and all forms of writing (technical, literary, and creative).

charla_r
by Member on Sep. 16, 2013 at 10:52 AM
When I was a teacher in NC, language arts included phonics, phonemic awareness, spelling, grammar, vocabulary, reading, reading comprehension, and composition (writing).
Leissaintexas
by Bronze Member on Sep. 16, 2013 at 11:11 AM
I've never separated reading and language arts. For me, LA includes reading, spelling, writing, vocab, grammar and literature. Of course, when I was in school (in the 80s) they just called it "English class".
oredeb
by debbie on Sep. 16, 2013 at 11:18 AM

i agree with everyone else!!

celticdragon77
by on Sep. 17, 2013 at 1:41 AM

It is the art of language nerdybouncingThere is reading and then there is learning the technicalities of English.

Connorsmommy13
by Member on Sep. 17, 2013 at 12:24 PM

For us its grammar, writting, spelling, and voabulary. We do journaling, and writing a short story (two-three paragraphs since he is in grade 3)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)