Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Hello ladies!  OK so I'm bragging but only a little because I know all kids learn at different levels and some start reading as early as age 4 depending on their interest.  I had my first phone conference with my sons Kindergarten teacher.  I'm doing public school online for the next couple of years.  So she tested his letter recognition and some basic math skills and he's in the 100%ile for Math and 90%ile for Reading/Language Arts.  For Math he did basic number recognition and placement basic addition and subtraction of a couple of small numbers.  For Language he did letter recognition as many as he can recognize in a mixed sequence as quickly as possible in 1 minute, he also did sight word recognition of like 12 words and got them all right.

So my question is what exactly do most schools require for basic beginning stuff to start kindergarten?  I feel like what in the world are parents doing at home with their kids if their kids can't even get basic letter and word recognition?  Like I said a small brag given I'm in a group that does all this stuff with their kids I'm sure kind of early instead of waiting for them to be 'school' age.  I guess I'm kind of impressed with myself because I didn't think I was doing enough.  I didn't treat what I was doing with him for the past two years or so like it was school.  We just played a lot of games and I 'taught' when he was willing to sit and learn instead of trying to fight with him to learn what I wanted him to.

by on Sep. 15, 2013 at 7:07 PM
Replies (11-13):
KrissyKC
by Silver Member on Sep. 16, 2013 at 8:30 PM
1 mom liked this

I remember being so excited that my first could read basic words before turning three and was reading to me from actual books on her birthday.   It was SOOO easy to teach her.

In all honesty, I didn't realize how much of a snob I was about it all..  LOL!   I couldn't believe how some people's kids couldn't even tell you what their last name was at four, or how they couldn't at least count to ten.  I kept my opinions about it to myself, but I DID have opinions.

FFWD....   My next child wasn't quite as easy, but he was far enough along to successfully work on first grade phonics just before kindergarten age...  Again, I'm thinking this is easy and kids learn so easy why aren't ALL kids learning these basics...

FFWD...   My next child, may God bless her, she threw me for the biggest loop.   She's sooo intelligent, but teaching her is work, let me tell you.   It takes extreme excitement and extreme involvement to get her to pay attention.   One day she knows something and the next day she doesn't.   She fights for control over EVERY situtuation, and when you give her some control, she flips the other way just because she enjoys the drama of fighting and causing confusion.

Now that I know more about it, I'm not as proud of teaching my first two.  At least, I shouldn't be, because they were such easy kids to teach.   They learned almost every concept without the slightest hint of a struggle or a powerplay.   However, if, (and I say IF) my third and I come out the other end of this journey with her being a competent adult...   then I WILL be VERY proud.   Proud of both of us.

I'm sharing all of that, because 1...  I think you didn't intend your post to be a dig at others.  However, it was.

I'm also sharing because (this is for the other women), at one time I was a proud mom working with my two easy kids, too, and probably thought along the same lines.   So, have some knowing compassion on a mom that doesn't mean to knock others down because she is finding her child so easy to teach.   Give her time in the game.

1CynfulDlite
by on Sep. 16, 2013 at 10:12 PM

Thank you all ladies.  I value your opinions and I will continue to quietly cheer my boy on!  Krissy I may have a Diva on my hands with my daughter when we get to that point who knows.  And I agree not every one has to be Einstein or Edison or Henry Ford.  All our children are special to us and learn in their own ways and in their own time, I guess we just have to learn to have patience with them.

xomrs.chase
by on Sep. 17, 2013 at 7:47 AM
While I understand wanting to shout your lo's accomplishments from the rooftops, I've been there myself, I feel it could have been done with a bit more tact.

Insinuating that parents aren't trying if their children aren't on the same level is ridiculous.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN