Okay I am no expert far from it actually this is my first year (was my first week) but I learned a few things...might be doing it "wrong" but it worked for my DS (grade 3) in no order
1. Having music playing in the back ground helps
2. I plan the lesson plan but letting him decide what order we do it in works wonders.
3. He is more comfortable on the couch with a tv tray (work station) then on the ground by the coffee table (dont have a dinning room table)
4. Crumpling up the sticky notes that have each subject on them is theaputic.
5. I have to win the battle of wills.
So that is my first week...starting my second week tommrow...he is SO EXCITED to do the "selfie" (self portate ((spelling??))