Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Things I learned my first week

Okay I am no expert far from it actually this is my first year (was my first week) but I learned a few things...might be doing it "wrong" but it worked for my DS (grade 3) in no order

1. Having music playing in the back ground helps

2. I plan the lesson plan but letting him decide what order we do it in works wonders.

3. He is more comfortable on the couch with a tv tray (work station) then on the ground by the coffee table (dont have a dinning room table)

4. Crumpling up the sticky notes that have each subject on  them is theaputic.

5. I have to win the battle of wills.

So that is my first week...starting my second week tommrow...he is SO EXCITED to do the "selfie" (self portate ((spelling??))

by on Sep. 16, 2013 at 1:27 AM
Replies (11-20):
Leissaintexas
by Bronze Member on Sep. 16, 2013 at 11:18 AM
I've been doing this for 7 years, and I'm still learning new things about how to do this! Right now I'm learning how to best allow my 7th grader to work independently while providing the right amount of oversight. Momma's having trouble not hovering lol.
usmom3
by BJ on Sep. 16, 2013 at 11:27 AM

If that is what is working for the 2 of you then you are doing it exactly right for you & him. I hope the weeks just keep getting better for you.

coala
by Silver Member on Sep. 16, 2013 at 11:49 AM

I love the sticky note idea....my girls like to remove paper clips.  I'm not sure what is theraputic about it, but whatever works.

fairymom82
by on Sep. 16, 2013 at 3:09 PM

This has been a very tough week for us. We have had struggles with tantrums and procrastination. Glad something worked for you. 

Connorsmommy13
by Member on Sep. 16, 2013 at 3:42 PM

Quoting fairymom82:

This has been a very tough week for us. We have had struggles with tantrums and procrastination. Glad something worked for you. 

Today has been HORRIBLE....only done ONE thing so far....only on here for a quick second as he finishes his goals!

fairymom82
by on Sep. 16, 2013 at 3:52 PM
Yup lol. We have gotten 2 subjects complete out of 5. I am ready to cry. My 9 yr old is bopping along pretty well but whew my younger boy who is in 3rd is just awful about work today

Quoting Connorsmommy13:

Quoting fairymom82:

Today has been HORRIBLE....only done ONE thing so far....only on here for a quick second as he finishes his goals!

Connorsmommy13
by Member on Sep. 16, 2013 at 3:57 PM

Quoting fairymom82:

Yup lol. We have gotten 2 subjects complete out of 5. I am ready to cry. My 9 yr old is bopping along pretty well but whew my younger boy who is in 3rd is just awful about work today

Quoting Connorsmommy13:

Quoting fairymom82:

Maybe its somthing in the air my grade 3 is so hard  to work with today...we are still on subject two...math...art done math working on...science, social studies, journally, english (spelling and grammar) left to go...oh and some silent reading and PE...Hmmm rum and root beer tonight is looking good!

kirbymom
by Sonja on Sep. 16, 2013 at 4:54 PM
Hey, you Are doing good! You have found something that your son is excited about. That us always a plus! AND you found it fairly quickly too. Sometimes it can take us quite awhile to find something that works. As for the slowness or how much actually gets done, don't worry about it, and praise your son for getting done what he Did get done. This should help to encourage him to want to accomplish more. :)
Baby steps.
Connorsmommy13
by Member on Sep. 16, 2013 at 5:02 PM

Quoting kirbymom:

Hey, you Are doing good! You have found something that your son is excited about. That us always a plus! AND you found it fairly quickly too. Sometimes it can take us quite awhile to find something that works. As for the slowness or how much actually gets done, don't worry about it, and praise your son for getting done what he Did get done. This should help to encourage him to want to accomplish more. :)
Baby steps.

Today is a bad day...got art done...and half math...he is now laying down claiming he has a headache :(

kirbymom
by Sonja on Sep. 16, 2013 at 5:07 PM
Aww - Is it a rainy/cloudy type of day where you are? It is where we are and half my kids are all sinus filled creatures today. Blowing noses can be pretty noises when you have 3 or 4 doing it at the same time. lol

Quoting Connorsmommy13:

Quoting kirbymom:Hey, you Are doing good! You have found something that your son is excited about. That us always a plus! AND you found it fairly quickly too. Sometimes it can take us quite awhile to find something that works. As for the slowness or how much actually gets done, don't worry about it, and praise your son for getting done what he Did get done. This should help to encourage him to want to accomplish more. :)Baby steps.

Today is a bad day...got art done...and half math...he is now laying down claiming he has a headache :(

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)