Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Home school regulations!

Posted by on Sep. 16, 2013 at 11:32 AM
  • 16 Replies
2 moms liked this

by on Sep. 16, 2013 at 11:32 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
AutymsMommy
by Silver Member on Sep. 16, 2013 at 11:33 AM
1 mom liked this

This isn't entirely accurate.

My state (SC) requires notification but does NOT require testing or evaluation/contact with a professional.

(and I find it funny that this is HSLDA's chart - when they are the ones with laws posted stating what is and isn't required in each state, lol; they are who I got my information from in the first place, lol)

I am a Home Schooling, Vaccinating, Non spanking, Nightmare Cuddling, Dessert Giving, Bedtime Kissing, Book Reading, Stay at Home Mom. I believe in the benefit of organized after school activities and nosy, involved parents. I believe in spoiling my children. I believe that I have seen the village and I do not want it anywhere near my children. Now for the controversial stuff:  we're Catholic, we're conservative, and we own guns (now there's no need to ask, lol).             Aimee

usmom3
by BJ on Sep. 16, 2013 at 12:07 PM

Thanks for sharing!

Britty1987
by on Sep. 16, 2013 at 2:10 PM
1 mom liked this
It has Iowa in moderate, and we only have to report if we're dual enrolling (which we do) but if not, we only have to provide minimal information IF ASKED by the district. The laws just changed here though so it may not be reflected on the map yet

Quoting AutymsMommy:

This isn't entirely accurate.

My state (SC) requires notification but does NOT require testing or evaluation/contact with a professional.

(and I find it funny that this is HSLDA's chart - when they are the ones with laws posted stating what is and isn't required in each state, lol; they are who I got my information from in the first place, lol)

Leissaintexas
by Bronze Member on Sep. 16, 2013 at 2:40 PM
1 mom liked this

I've said it before, I'll say it again...Gosh, I love Texas!

kirbymom
by Sonja on Sep. 16, 2013 at 2:41 PM
1 mom liked this
I don't see how this affects how I homeschool, now or in the future. As long as I make sure that my children are learning and learning well, ALL that I am teaching them, then whether or not I have anyone come and check out what I do is of no consequence to me and I have nothing to worry about.
ablackdolphin
by Bronze Member on Sep. 16, 2013 at 7:09 PM

interesting

KrissyKC
by Silver Member on Sep. 16, 2013 at 8:56 PM

Missouri is listed as no contact, but I am required to turn in a letter of intent every year, and I'm also required to keep a daily log listing at least 1000 hours of instruction.   I don't turn it in, though, so I don't know what the repercussions are for not doing it.

PurpleCupcake
by on Sep. 16, 2013 at 9:21 PM

My state says moderate but I would consider it low.

Just had to notify the state and school and then do a yearly test that I don't have to show to anyone. 

BatMom.
by on Sep. 16, 2013 at 9:34 PM
My state is accurate. I love how they do it..easy, fast, and they leave me alone.
Chasing3
by Bronze Member on Sep. 16, 2013 at 10:23 PM

my state says high, but it's not too bad in my district. I have to submit a letter of intent and list of curricula materials (they tell you what subjects you have to cover, but it's standard stuff). You have a choice for evaluations, either submit portfolio of work or submit test scores. But you can't take the state test if you're not enrolled in a public school, so you'd have to buy and do the CAT or Iowa or Terranova or something else and submit those scores. Then they approve or disapprove.

I've heard they don't want to bother with disapproving anyone because then it's on them to decide where you're lacking and tell you how to fix it. So, I think you'd truly have to be criminally insane for them to want to go through with the legalities of that.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN