Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Take a break or have someone else take over?

Posted by on Sep. 16, 2013 at 11:49 AM
  • 9 Replies
I had complete shoulder replacement surgery Wednesday. Recovery is slow so far and I am in a LOT of pain. And to top it off, yesterday my 14 month old broke her wrist climbing out of her crib. I do not see school happening any time soon. Our last day was Tuesday.

She's only K and is ahead, so on the one hand, a long break would probably be fine. But we have noticed with her a direct relationship between school time and behavior. We do school regularly, she is a sweet, caring, playful 5 yo. We don't do school and she becomes a kicking, screaming, spitting, out of control mess. Seriously.

Her behavior started sliding yesterday. I'm sure a lot of it is stress over my shoulder and now for her sister. But we know from experience that getting a little rigid with school helps tremendously.

So should I teach someone my system and have them take over? It seems the obvious choice but I'm worried if they do it "wrong" that she will completely melt down. She needs predictable. I tried showing DH everything before surgery but he kept brushing it off saying I'd be fine to do it myself.

If I'm not back for a while its because I'm too drugged lol. I had to post just before a new dose in attempt to be coherent.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Sep. 16, 2013 at 11:49 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
usmom3
by BJ on Sep. 16, 2013 at 12:03 PM

Can you fix up a work box for her with things that she can do on her own until you feel better?

coala
by Silver Member on Sep. 16, 2013 at 12:05 PM

I vote set up some boxed with some work for her to do that can help keep her busy.  When you are coherent enough try to get some actualy "teaching" in.  I think if you bring someone else in, it may really mess with her behavior more than it is now.  Try to get her on board with helping you and sister out while you recover.  I hope you both get through this quickly and as painlessly as possible (it that is possible).

1CynfulDlite
by on Sep. 16, 2013 at 12:13 PM

I like the activity boxes that she can work on by herself with minimal interaction from you but if that doesn't work then my suggestion is to bring in some help.  If hubby isn't cooperating maybe take some video of how she behaves while 'in school' and some when she's not in a 'structured' environment. 

Jinx-Troublex3
by Jinx on Sep. 16, 2013 at 12:17 PM

Wat others said - work up a very light schedule - workbox, maybe videos, drawing numbers/letters in rice or sand or pudding on a plate. Kinder shouldn't be too structured anyway but if it helps her to be on one, then make it a simple one. 

mem82
by Platinum Member on Sep. 16, 2013 at 6:02 PM
Ditto everyone else. Hopefully you get better soon!
hwblyf
by Silver Member on Sep. 16, 2013 at 6:18 PM

When I had my foot surgery this spring, I had my son in my room a LOT.  We had read all the Harry Potter books, so I finally let him watch the movies and do compare/contrast.  We also did shared reading.  I don't really recall doing anything else with him, and that was only done after the first week or two.  As far as I can recall.  :)  My kids also got an uptick in their chores.  My then kindie was AWESOME at doing laundry.  I had shown everyone things to do beforehand, but they were REALLY into it when it was very obvious I wasn't capable of doing it (odd how they didn't care otherwise).  Maybe a little more responsibility, so it's her job to take care of you now, would help her out?

ablackdolphin
by Bronze Member on Sep. 16, 2013 at 7:07 PM

Could you change how you are teaching her for a bit? What about some online reading programs and math like Dreambox, Ooka Island, Reading Eggs, and then some foreign language like Little Pim French (library) read along books (library), Preschool prep dvds, reading games from lakeshore learning, etc  Most of which she could spend time doing it herself.

debramommyof4
by Silver Member on Sep. 16, 2013 at 8:55 PM

I would try setting things up when you are coherent and then have someone help for a bit.  Or set it up so she can work a bit on her own.  My kids at 5 could work a little independently.  I know not all kids, probably not most of the 5 year old kids out there.  But if she can just a bit and you can watch a few educational videos also like the magic school bus.

KrissyKC
by Silver Member on Sep. 16, 2013 at 9:01 PM

Tear out a bunch of tracing pages, have your husband take them to a teacher supply store and have them laminated.   Give her dry erase markers to trace the pages and then give her an eraser to erase them when done.   This will take out some of her energy and give her something fun to do.

Give her beans or rice at the table and have her use them to form words.  If she's not making words yet herself, she can outline them on paper with the items above.   Stickers works, and she can glue the objects to them.

Utilize some educational websites (like starfall, sheppherd software, or time4learning.com).  

Go to the dollar store and pick up some prek-k workbooks.   Let her rip into them at her own pace and will.  She can ask for help when she needs it.   Have her sticker each page when it's done and offer a small reward for doing the whole book.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN