Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

>_<

As a homeschooler what words do people who are just starting out or people who do not homeschool say that make you cringe?

Okay, I'll get the big ones out of the way:

Socialization.

Is that legal?

You must be ultra-religious.

Okay....GO!

by on Sep. 17, 2013 at 7:41 AM
Replies (11-20):
Bluecalm
by Bronze Member on Sep. 17, 2013 at 8:35 AM
In another group on CM a poster said she's a teacher but wouldn't be "arrogant" enough to think she could teach her child everything.

Quoting bluerooffarm:

Quoting mem82:

Are you a certified teacher?
Only teachers are able to teach your child everything you should know!

Even if you are a certified teacher, they will find something wrong with you teaching!!  I, personally, am not certified for elementary!  BwaHAHAHAHAHA

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Bluecalm
by Bronze Member on Sep. 17, 2013 at 8:39 AM
Anything that starts "How can you possibly...."

One woman asked how can I possibly teach my 6 year old when the boys have so many doctor appointments. I thought that was so ridiculous. If he was in ps, he'd be absent for his appointments.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on Sep. 17, 2013 at 8:45 AM

LOL, yes we all sound so arrogant on this site... Silly woman.

Quoting Bluecalm:

In another group on CM a poster said she's a teacher but wouldn't be "arrogant" enough to think she could teach her child everything.

Quoting bluerooffarm:

Quoting mem82:

Are you a certified teacher?
Only teachers are able to teach your child everything you should know!

Even if you are a certified teacher, they will find something wrong with you teaching!!  I, personally, am not certified for elementary!  BwaHAHAHAHAHA

bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on Sep. 17, 2013 at 8:46 AM

Quoting Bluecalm:

One woman asked how can I possibly teach my 6 year old when the boys have so many doctor appointments. I thought that was so ridiculous. If he was in ps, he'd be absent for his appointments.

The ones where just a teeny tiny bit of logic would completely dispell it...those drive me nuts.  0.o

coala
by Silver Member on Sep. 17, 2013 at 8:54 AM

What do your kids do all day?

Yesterday was disturbing for me....we took a walk and the girls rode their bikes, and some woman (a neighbor of mine, don't know many of them) gave us a very weird look and kept staring at us (I've never experienced this when we have been out and about).

mem82
by Platinum Member on Sep. 17, 2013 at 8:55 AM
1 mom liked this
Oh, I agree. That makes my head explode!

Quoting bluerooffarm:

Quoting Bluecalm:

The ones where just a teeny tiny bit of logic would completely dispell it...those drive me nuts.  0.o

coala
by Silver Member on Sep. 17, 2013 at 8:56 AM

I am really astounded by the ignorance of people.  You would think that they would step into the 21st centrury with their thinking and logic.

Quoting bluerooffarm:

Quoting No_Difference:

(I don't know if this is just because of where I live but I've heard this a bit lately)
You must be ultra conservative.
I'm amazed you're not wearing a dress or long skirt.

Not just where you live.  I've been asked about my long denim skirt.  And why my head wasn't covered?  I would guess that's Mennonite, but I'm not sure.

mamamedic69
by Deanna on Sep. 17, 2013 at 9:12 AM
I was told I'm being selfish and keeping my child sheltered from real life!!!
bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on Sep. 17, 2013 at 9:16 AM

Quoting coala:

What do your kids do all day?

Yesterday was disturbing for me....we took a walk and the girls rode their bikes, and some woman (a neighbor of mine, don't know many of them) gave us a very weird look and kept staring at us (I've never experienced this when we have been out and about).

At this point most of my neighbors know that I homeschool.  But when we went on vacation to the beach last fall, I had a lady berate me because I had taken my kids out of school for a "frivolous" vacation.  I told her we homeschool and she blew her top.  LOL  Then she glared at us every day while we played on the beach.  SMH!

1CynfulDlite
by on Sep. 17, 2013 at 9:16 AM
1 mom liked this

Ha my Ped wished me good luck!  I just go with the flow.  People ask how can you teach this and that I ask how did you teach your kid to walk, talk, use the bathroom, put their clothes on for themselves, manners, rules, and so on and it leaves them speechless. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)