Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

>_<

As a homeschooler what words do people who are just starting out or people who do not homeschool say that make you cringe?

Okay, I'll get the big ones out of the way:

Socialization.

Is that legal?

You must be ultra-religious.

Okay....GO!

by on Sep. 17, 2013 at 7:41 AM
Replies (31-40):
birthymom4
by on Sep. 17, 2013 at 10:45 AM
"I couldn't stand to be around my kids all the time"

"Better you than me"

"But sending them to PS is FREE" (Response from a friend when I was talking about curriculum prices).
Bluecalm
by Bronze Member on Sep. 17, 2013 at 10:50 AM
1 mom liked this
I've never heard the term "sanctimommy" before, but I am so stealing it lol!

Quoting bluerooffarm:

It's like every person is a sanctimommy as far as homeschooling is concerned.  They *know* you are wrong and they need you to know how wrong you are.  SMH

Quoting coala:

I just don't undertand the complete ignorance that people have about homeschooling.  It makes me so angry when people who have no part of our lives think that they can give us their opinion....when we didn't ask for it.

Quoting bluerooffarm:

Quoting coala:

What do your kids do all day?

Yesterday was disturbing for me....we took a walk and the girls rode their bikes, and some woman (a neighbor of mine, don't know many of them) gave us a very weird look and kept staring at us (I've never experienced this when we have been out and about).

At this point most of my neighbors know that I homeschool.  But when we went on vacation to the beach last fall, I had a lady berate me because I had taken my kids out of school for a "frivolous" vacation.  I told her we homeschool and she blew her top.  LOL  Then she glared at us every day while we played on the beach.  SMH!

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
tnt-manda
by Member on Sep. 17, 2013 at 10:50 AM
1 mom liked this
I love these, how ironic we all seem to get the same response and yet we probably all live miles apart.
bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on Sep. 17, 2013 at 11:03 AM
1 mom liked this

Quoting SuperMommy408:

I hate when people say. I couldn't be stuck with my kids all day. Well why the heck did you have kids?!

I get that one more than any others.  They are under the impression that your kids don't change when they come home.  I get along with them much more now than I did when my oldest was in ps.  They are over-tired, cranky, and rushed the whole time you get to see them.

bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on Sep. 17, 2013 at 11:05 AM

Quoting birthymom4:

"I couldn't stand to be around my kids all the time"

"Better you than me"

"But sending them to PS is FREE" (Response from a friend when I was talking about curriculum prices).

LOL!  There's no such thing as a free lunch.   PS nickel and dimes ya to death, it is so not free!

bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on Sep. 17, 2013 at 11:07 AM

Quoting oredeb:

what about the prom!

You mean they actually send their kids to 12-13 years of school to have a night of fun?  LOL  Love it.

bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on Sep. 17, 2013 at 11:09 AM

Quoting Dawn07:

You and your children are sheltered, naive, and don't know what's going on in the world.

0. o

Love it!

Dawn07
by Bronze Member on Sep. 17, 2013 at 11:41 AM
1 mom liked this
This one still eats at me.

Quoting bluerooffarm:

Quoting Dawn07:

You and your children are sheltered, naive, and don't know what's going on in the world.

0. o

Love it!

usmom3
by BJ on Sep. 17, 2013 at 12:49 PM
1 mom liked this

Yep I have had total strangers say this to me when I told them we homeschool. Forget about saying we unschool that would take hours out of my day just to explain it to them Then I have them still not get what it is, everyone gets hung up on the UN part of unschooling!

Quoting tnt-manda:

You must be really patient...followed by the I could never do that.

bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on Sep. 17, 2013 at 1:00 PM

I can't even imagine explaining unschooling to people.  We do child-led science and I have a hard time explaining how I know we are covering everything that *needs* covered.  No one seems to understand that some teachers in PS pick and choose their favorites too. 

Quoting usmom3:

Yep I have had total strangers say this to me when I told them we homeschool. Forget about saying we unschool that would take hours out of my day just to explain it to them Then I have them still not get what it is, everyone gets hung up on the UN part of unschooling!

Quoting tnt-manda:

You must be really patient...followed by the I could never do that.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)