Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

>_<

As a homeschooler what words do people who are just starting out or people who do not homeschool say that make you cringe?

Okay, I'll get the big ones out of the way:

Socialization.

Is that legal?

You must be ultra-religious.

Okay....GO!

by on Sep. 17, 2013 at 7:41 AM
Replies (41-50):
mamamedic69
by Deanna on Sep. 17, 2013 at 1:05 PM
1 mom liked this
I'll have to use this response. It's great!

Quoting bluerooffarm:

Quoting mamamedic69:

I was told I'm being selfish and keeping my child sheltered from real life!!!

I find it sheltering to keep the kids in a classroom full of other people their age.  How do they possibly learn to interact with the rest of society.

And I find it selfish to send your kids off to school all day.

*I am being very sarcastic here, I don't send my kids but I only say anything like these statements to show other parents what they sound like.  I try to support everyone's personal choices.*

usmom3
by BJ on Sep. 17, 2013 at 1:08 PM

I pick & chose who I tell about it only because I have to much to do to educateevery Tom, Dick & Harry that acts interested in it. If they want to know so badly they can talk the time to research it like I did years a go.

Quoting bluerooffarm:

I can't even imagine explaining unschooling to people.  We do child-led science and I have a hard time explaining how I know we are covering everything that *needs* covered.  No one seems to understand that some teachers in PS pick and choose their favorites too. 

twyliatepeka
by Bronze Member on Sep. 17, 2013 at 1:10 PM

Just yesterday I was sitting on our porch & hubby's grandmother was over. His Granny thinks my dd should be in school & thinks HS is ridiculous. DD was being your typical 6 year old & I was having to tell her NO more than once about something..I looked at my MIL & asked " Do yall get as tired of hearing me tell her no as I get of saying it all the time?"  Dh's granny says "well If you'd send her to school!". Oh I lost it, let me tell you buddy, that was just he wrong thing for her to say at the wrong time. I told her that was MY child & I gave birth to her & I was going to be the one to raise MY child not someone else. My MIL nearly laughed out loud becaue she could tell I had enough of dear sweet old granny.

I can't stand the socialization bs.

I get "how will she ever make friends?" a lot too. Let me see...I am not sure I am real worried when we are waliking across a parking lot & some kid I don't know looks at dd & says "hey! I know you!". Friends no I don't worry.

The ever present "how do you stand to be at home with her all day? I would never have the paitence for that." oh buzz off already people. If you don't want to spend time with them DON'T HAVE KIDS! Summer must really suck for these ps parents.

Oh & let us not forget the questions about how I will ever figure out how to teach higher math & science since I only graduated from high school & took college math and I have no brain in my head what to ever.

I love how when you homeschool everyone is suddenly so concerned about your child making it college. How many PS graduates actually go to college & not drop out or fail completely? If I sent my child to PS would all these strangers be so worried about her education or would they be fine with her getting a barely mediocer education?

Oh almost forgot this one...when are you going to get her on a schedule? We tend to lean toward the unschool end of homeschooling not to mention my DH has wonly work hours so we do things a little different form most folks. We get up about the same time everyday and go to bed around the same time each night and work gets done in the middle. DD is a very active(aka hyper) child and we have to take a ton of breaks in between doing anything learning related so to someone on the outside looking in it seems as though we don't have a plan at all and do nothing all day. I am not a strict schedule kinda gal & hate having to fit into a box so this question kind of makes me want to lose a few screws.

I am not perfect, i lose my temper & feel like I just wanna hide in a hole sometimes but I stick with it because I know homeschool is what is best for my child & my family. I don't go out seeking public approval for what we do and I don't feel that we need it to validate our choices.

What if we went around asking dumb stuff about their PS kids?? You let them eat school food instead of packing their lunch? But the bus is so dangerous, don't you worry aobut their saftey? That teacher is so young are you sure she is qualified to teach highschool?

OMG!! sorry that was so long.

bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on Sep. 17, 2013 at 1:14 PM

I still haven't gotten there, although I want to.  I find myself justifying my choices, explaining our methods and all that WAY too often.  But one day I hope to just say, "Oh we homeschool, see ya."  And that being it.

Quoting usmom3:

I pick & chose who I tell about it only because I have to much to do to educateevery Tom, Dick & Harry that acts interested in it. If they want to know so badly they can talk the time to research it like I did years a go.

Quoting bluerooffarm:

I can't even imagine explaining unschooling to people.  We do child-led science and I have a hard time explaining how I know we are covering everything that *needs* covered.  No one seems to understand that some teachers in PS pick and choose their favorites too. 

usmom3
by BJ on Sep. 17, 2013 at 1:22 PM

You will! I have been doing this for 7 1/2 years, I learned after the first few that it was a waste of my time to explain it to most people.

Quoting bluerooffarm:

I still haven't gotten there, although I want to.  I find myself justifying my choices, explaining our methods and all that WAY too often.  But one day I hope to just say, "Oh we homeschool, see ya."  And that being it.

bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on Sep. 17, 2013 at 1:23 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting twyliatepeka:

Just yesterday I was sitting on our porch & hubby's grandmother was over. His Granny thinks my dd should be in school & thinks HS is ridiculous. DD was being your typical 6 year old & I was having to tell her NO more than once about something..I looked at my MIL & asked " Do yall get as tired of hearing me tell her no as I get of saying it all the time?"  Dh's granny says "well If you'd send her to school!". Oh I lost it, let me tell you buddy, that was just he wrong thing for her to say at the wrong time. I told her that was MY child & I gave birth to her & I was going to be the one to raise MY child not someone else. My MIL nearly laughed out loud becaue she could tell I had enough of dear sweet old granny.

I can't stand the socialization bs.

I get "how will she ever make friends?" a lot too. Let me see...I am not sure I am real worried when we are waliking across a parking lot & some kid I don't know looks at dd & says "hey! I know you!". Friends no I don't worry.

The ever present "how do you stand to be at home with her all day? I would never have the paitence for that." oh buzz off already people. If you don't want to spend time with them DON'T HAVE KIDS! Summer must really suck for these ps parents.

Oh & let us not forget the questions about how I will ever figure out how to teach higher math & science since I only graduated from high school & took college math and I have no brain in my head what to ever.

I love how when you homeschool everyone is suddenly so concerned about your child making it college. How many PS graduates actually go to college & not drop out or fail completely? If I sent my child to PS would all these strangers be so worried about her education or would they be fine with her getting a barely mediocer education?

Oh almost forgot this one...when are you going to get her on a schedule? We tend to lean toward the unschool end of homeschooling not to mention my DH has wonly work hours so we do things a little different form most folks. We get up about the same time everyday and go to bed around the same time each night and work gets done in the middle. DD is a very active(aka hyper) child and we have to take a ton of breaks in between doing anything learning related so to someone on the outside looking in it seems as though we don't have a plan at all and do nothing all day. I am not a strict schedule kinda gal & hate having to fit into a box so this question kind of makes me want to lose a few screws.

I am not perfect, i lose my temper & feel like I just wanna hide in a hole sometimes but I stick with it because I know homeschool is what is best for my child & my family. I don't go out seeking public approval for what we do and I don't feel that we need it to validate our choices.

What if we went around asking dumb stuff about their PS kids?? You let them eat school food instead of packing their lunch? But the bus is so dangerous, don't you worry aobut their saftey? That teacher is so young are you sure she is qualified to teach highschool?

OMG!! sorry that was so long.

OMG!!  This had me laughin so hard I'm crying.  That is by far the best rant I've read in a while.  You pulled out all the stops!!!

I'd love to ask a few people those questions!  I actually have made a few comments when I've been in a particularly foul mood.  Things like "I'm not as lazy as the ones sending their kids to ps."  Or "How can your kids stand to be in a tiny little classroom all day long."  They seriously do not want to hit me with some of their crap at the end of a long week of co-op, soccer, swimming, youth group, farmer's market, doctor's visits, junior church, and music lessons.  Oh boy!! 

Also:  We are never at home together (it feels).  We can stand each other just fine, because we've learned to be together and "you would too, lady."  And I love little old grannys.  They have earned the right to say whatever they think, but I'm still not going to back down and do what they want me too.  LOL

bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on Sep. 17, 2013 at 1:27 PM

I'm glad to know it's coming.  I'm nearly 3 years in now!!

Quoting usmom3:

You will! I have been doing this for 7 1/2 years, I learned after the first few that it was a waste of my time to explain it to most people.

Quoting bluerooffarm:

KrissyKC
by Silver Member on Sep. 17, 2013 at 1:39 PM

I think one that irks me is saying, "Oh! MY kids would never be ok with being stuck at home all day!"....  

Ok, well, if that's how you would choose to home educate your kids, fine.   However, in our home, getting out and being active and doing things is a BENEFIT of homeschooling.

bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on Sep. 17, 2013 at 1:42 PM

Quoting KrissyKC:

I think one that irks me is saying, "Oh! MY kids would never be ok with being stuck at home all day!"....  

Ok, well, if that's how you would choose to home educate your kids, fine.   However, in our home, getting out and being active and doing things is a BENEFIT of homeschooling.

Yes!  We are on the go a lot of the time.  I think people believe we are afraid to take our kids out during the day.  HeeHee we are all vampires....shhhh!

usmom3
by BJ on Sep. 17, 2013 at 1:46 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting bluerooffarm:

Quoting KrissyKC:

Yes!  We are on the go a lot of the time.  I think people believe we are afraid to take our kids out during the day.  HeeHee we are all vampires....shhhh!

When the time change comes that statement will be almost true for our family, we wake up late anyways so by the time we get out of the house it is closer to 5PM then noon.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)