Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

I have decided to homeschool

Posted by on Sep. 17, 2013 at 8:59 AM
  • 9 Replies

My oldest daughter Haley will be 5 in November and I have decided that I want to homeschool her. I have read up on some forms of homeschooling but I'm a rookie at this so I am going to need some direction here. What do I need to do? I am ready to start homeschooling.

by on Sep. 17, 2013 at 8:59 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
mamamedic69
by Deanna on Sep. 17, 2013 at 9:08 AM
Congrats on your decision to homeschool. First I would read the laws in your state to make sure you're doing everything legal.

Then I would try and figure out how your child learns. Some are visual leaders and others are auditory learners. (There is a couple of other types but I just can't remember).

Then find what works for your family. Some make there own lesson plans and others use full pre built curriculums.

I know others would have some suggestions. This is my first year and this is what I have learned from this group.

Good luck mama.
coala
by Silver Member on Sep. 17, 2013 at 9:34 AM
2 moms liked this

We are beginning our second full year.  Just remember to be patient and go with the flow.  Not all days will be productive and just about anything can be counted as learning.  Currenly my children are in their bedroom playing school with their stuffed animals.  The animals are learning some Geography....we've been learning about the states.  This is them showing me what they have learned....without me having to quiz them.  LOL

1CynfulDlite
by on Sep. 17, 2013 at 9:50 AM

Congrats on the decision to home school.  Things will all work out.  Do your research, I think the biggest thing is to figure out how your child learns best, does she listen well and can repeat things back to you?  Will she sit and write/color/draw patiently for longish periods of time?  Is she active and likes to learn on the go?  Is she inquisitive and asks questions about a lot of random things she's really interested in knowing about?  If she likes to help you cook in the kitchen tailor your math/science lessons around a baking/cooking project you might have going on.

oredeb
by on Sep. 17, 2013 at 10:39 AM

welcome!!! do wht the other mom suggest about hs law

some things you can do with her without buying a bunch of curriculum

teach her math with manipulatives- rocks, marbles, pennies, candy pieces, socks, you can teach subtraction, addition,

phonics- teach her to sound out her name(if possible!) or small words like mom dad etc.

handwriting- using a stick or finger learn to spell her name or yours in the dirt

lots of painting and playing

art stuff, cutting pasting, drawing

science- go looking for bugs, using magnifying glass, plants, draw them in a drawing pad, look them up on comp.

history, learn about her family, the area she lives in(make a map of area)

teach her songs, dancing

games, have fun with her!

read her stories

usmom3
by BJ on Sep. 17, 2013 at 1:05 PM

Welcome & congratulations on taking this path! I con cure what the other Mom's have said so I just want to say good luck & don't be afraid to come in here & pick our brains or just vent over things!

ablackdolphin
by Bronze Member on Sep. 17, 2013 at 1:48 PM

Congrats, very exciting!!  I'm lucky enough to have a homeschool expo in my area every year.  Worth checking to see if there is one in your area as well.  Check to see if there are any yahoo groups in your area as well.

CastleRockMommy
by on Sep. 17, 2013 at 11:58 PM
1 mom liked this

Hey,

I just made the decision to home school my son, just took him out of his public school today actually...hes in the 1st grade and 6 years old....I freaked out a little bit as i drove away from the school, but i know it was the right decision...id love to have an encouragement buddy!!!

Chelsea

romacox
by Silver Member on Sep. 18, 2013 at 6:32 AM

As a home school workshop leader I put together a free web page to answer those questions:  

How To Home  school

romacox
by Silver Member on Sep. 18, 2013 at 6:35 AM
Congratulations. You took the first step. Check with your State Home School Association for a support group near you.
Quoting CastleRockMommy:

Hey,

I just made the decision to home school my son, just took him out of his public school today actually...hes in the 1st grade and 6 years old....I freaked out a little bit as i drove away from the school, but i know it was the right decision...id love to have an encouragement buddy!!!

Chelsea

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)