Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Even 'Teachers' make mistakes.

Posted by on Sep. 17, 2013 at 9:00 AM
  • 10 Replies
1 mom liked this
We have a white board in our dining room. If the kids are working on a writing project and need help with spelling, I will write it for them on there to copy to their notebook.
Last week I was writing a sentence for ds while telling dd how to write a word. Apparently that is a bad idea, because I spelled a word wrong. I didn't catch it but my husband did!
He picked at me about it (in the sweet loving husband way), but he also pointed out that it is a good thing no one saw it. Especially someone who is not supportive of our choice to homeschool.

Then it got me to thinking about how people tend to be more critical of homeschool moms as well as teachers.
I mean goodness knows we are all human and makes mistakes.
Does anyone else feel this way?
by on Sep. 17, 2013 at 9:00 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
1CynfulDlite
by on Sep. 17, 2013 at 9:10 AM

Yeah I've had several 'friends'/family just kind of look at me like I was nuts and tell me 'better you then me'. 

bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on Sep. 17, 2013 at 9:29 AM

Many of my friends when I was teaching were totally afraid to make a mistake or tell a child they didn't know something.  When a student goes home and tells the parent that the teacher didn't know something and was going to look it up... some parents would lose their minds.  So yeah, I totally feel like it is okay to not know, make a mistake, show the child you are human; but I worry about showing the outside world.

coala
by Silver Member on Sep. 17, 2013 at 9:31 AM

I swear if some people heard me talk at home they would think that I didn't make it out of high school.  My grammar can be really bad at times.....my SO is the one that quickly picks up on it and gets me back on track.  I would be laughed at in real life I think.  Although, since grammar and spelling aren't such a big deal in PS anymore maybe it wouldn't be so bad.  LOL

Dawn07
by Bronze Member on Sep. 17, 2013 at 11:59 AM
I slip up all the time. Especially when I'm typing on my phone and have a lot going on. I've also made a simple adding mistake at church one day and had my pastor make a comment about how could I teach my kids when I can't even add right.
usmom3
by BJ on Sep. 17, 2013 at 12:39 PM

I have never been good at spelling, so I worry that if my children are not good at it that others will think it is because I didn't teach it to them  properly. It is very likely that they are like their Mom & it just isn't something they are good at, just like none of us are good at sports or dancing!

tiredmomfor2
by **Lyndsay** on Sep. 17, 2013 at 1:42 PM
Ooh that was not very nice of him.
My other hsing friends and I laugh and joke when we goof up. But a non hser to say something like that can be very hurtful. :(

Quoting Dawn07:

I slip up all the time. Especially when I'm typing on my phone and have a lot going on. I've also made a simple adding mistake at church one day and had my pastor make a comment about how could I teach my kids when I can't even add right.

tiredmomfor2
by **Lyndsay** on Sep. 17, 2013 at 1:43 PM
1 mom liked this
Yes..exactly.

Quoting bluerooffarm:

Many of my friends when I was teaching were totally afraid to make a mistake or tell a child they didn't know something.  When a student goes home and tells the parent that the teacher didn't know something and was going to look it up... some parents would lose their minds.  So yeah, I totally feel like it is okay to not know, make a mistake, show the child you are human; but I worry about showing the outside world.

Dawn07
by Bronze Member on Sep. 17, 2013 at 1:53 PM
Especially with the tone she used. I know it wasn't joking.

Quoting tiredmomfor2:

Ooh that was not very nice of him.

My other hsing friends and I laugh and joke when we goof up. But a non hser to say something like that can be very hurtful. :(

Quoting Dawn07:

tuffymama
by Bronze Member on Sep. 17, 2013 at 2:05 PM
I had a math teacher who drank liquor from a fifth bottle wrapped in brown paper. I had a science teacher who was actually a football coach and didn't know a blackhole from his own butt. I had an English teacher who couldn't spell America, and many other common ENGLISH words, to save her tenured life. If I happen to misspeak or add a sum wrong in the future, I think LO will turn out just fine. His teacher will always be better than most of the teachers I had. LOL!
tuffymama
by Bronze Member on Sep. 17, 2013 at 2:06 PM
"How do you lead a congregation, Pastor, with an unChristian attitude like that?"
Quoting Dawn07:

Especially with the tone she used. I know it wasn't joking.

Quoting tiredmomfor2:Ooh that was not very nice of him.

Quoting Dawn07:I slip up all the time. Especially when I'm typing on my phone and have a lot going on. I've also made a simple adding mistake at church one day and had my pastor make a comment about how could I teach my kids when I can't even add right.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN