Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Need Advice for a Struggling Kindergartener

Posted by on Sep. 17, 2013 at 10:07 AM
  • 7 Replies

My 6 year old is struggling with numbers.  She can count out loud with items, but have a difficult time identifying numbers and writing them (she reverses them....may have some dyslexia & dysgraphia).  We have tried Math U See, but after lesson 8 they are doing place values.  I need to find an inexpensive math curriculum to help her with number recognition and number writing.  Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

by on Sep. 17, 2013 at 10:07 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
Leissaintexas
by Bronze Member on Sep. 17, 2013 at 10:17 AM

You don't need a curriculum for that. Just have her copy numbers you write at the top of the page, point out numbers everywhere you go,(gas prices, grocery store prices, movie times, etc) use a whiteboard to let her doodle numbers, things like that.

oredeb
by on Sep. 17, 2013 at 10:32 AM

well just make up your own numbers, put some on the wall and when you say them point to them, keep repeating, let her do it (mistakes and all) make sure she repeats them after you, make up games using them, 

write numbers on index cards, make sure they have a match and turn them over and let her try to match them. prize when done

make up your own math curr, use worksheets from internet http://www.hslaunch.com/mypage/files

http://www.learningpage.com/

she can write them with a stick in the dirt to get the idea how they go, sit with her using paper and guide her

be consistant, dont give up,

when your out point out numbers make sure she repeats them back

bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on Sep. 17, 2013 at 11:31 AM

Are you using Alpha?  It sounds like you are doing the Primer year.  That year is just to get her feet wet in all aspects of elementary math, there is no testing.  It's not for mastery, just for introduction. 

Just take your time each week.  Do a few games like Marble math (on abcya.com) have her count items and write the number on a white board or chalkboard. 
Place post-it notes all over the room and shout out the numbers and have her run over and touch them. 
Have her write her numbers in chalk on the sidewalk.
Put a number line up in the room and have her count things and point to the number.
Remember that many kids write their numbers (and some letters) backwards clear up to 3rd grade.

Molimomma
by Member on Sep. 17, 2013 at 11:49 AM

No curriculum needed if you are just working on number identification and writing the numbers.

You can find printable "playdough mats" just a piece of paper in a page protector that has the number and an empty space usually with a cute frame or what have you to make it cute. Child uses playdough to form the number and then that many objects(for example my son has trees right now to make play dough "apples" to go on the trees. Have her say the number as she makes it out of dough and count the dough objects she makes out loud to make sure it matches the number.

There are do-a-dot sheets for numbers too. Give her a bingo marker from the dollar store and complete the dot picture. Or make up a sheet on your own with numbers scattered all over it and have her put the dot on all the 5s or all the 8s etc. that's a quick and easy one.

You can take a number poster from the dollar store or your local teacher store, lay it on the floor or hang it on a wall. Give her a fun pointer or wand to hold and then call out a number and she has to point to it with her pointer(or wand). 

For writing them try using a tray with saving cream for practice or a salt tray to write them with her finger. You can write each number on an index card or use a stack of flash cards so she can see the number as she writes it.

make sandpaper numbers and have her trace them with her finger, the texture helps.

You may also want to Google "Touch Math" it might help too!

usmom3
by BJ on Sep. 17, 2013 at 12:44 PM

Some children are not ready to learn numbers at that age! There are connections in the brain that have to be established before children can learn numbers & letters! Read this LINK

KrissyKC
by Silver Member on Sep. 17, 2013 at 1:04 PM

Writing numbers backward is really very common.   Many kids write them backward without there being an issue with dyslexia or dysgraphia.    

helpful hints....

Talk about the numbers as she writes them... example for five we say, "Line back, short line down, backward C"...   

Work a lot with reading and patterns.   This works on training the eye to move left to right.   Also, work on left and right with stuff like simon says and all.   Have your child draw lines moving to the left, moving to the right, etc...

Talk about the way things "point"... like many kids get confused with lowercase d's, p's, etc.....   Make games for her to hop on the correct letter you call out.   When she gets it wrong, just ask, "Is it pointing X direction?"

Doodle, playdoh, coloring, mazes, connect the dots, lacing, tracing, beading, crafts, etc...  anything to work with and build up fine motor control and hand-eye coordination.   This will do wonders for their writing ability.

My current kindy is working at about the same pace as yours.  I'm thinking she is fine.   Just taking her time making all the connections.

We are working with the date, numbers, bingo, days-in-school, making the day with pennies, counting the days in school with tally marks, have a number jar that we count daily, and we have tracing pages with dry erase to wipe off the numbers.    We have patterns, dot to dots, etc...

Trust me, she isn't grasping all of what we do, but by the end of the year with all this repetition, I expect improvement at least until the lightbulb comes on.

coala
by Silver Member on Sep. 17, 2013 at 1:54 PM

For number recognition:  I took paper plates and wrote a number on them.  I then let my then 3 yo decorate them with as many stickers as that number was.  We then played with the plates for weeks b/c she was super engaged with them.  Once we learned our numbers we moved onto putting them onto index cards and playing a matching game.  I wrote the number on one of the cards and I put the same number of dots on another.  She had to match the number with the number of corresponding dots.  Helped immensely.  If she isn't ready to move onto doing place value than wait a bit and then move forward.

The beauty of HS is that we can take as much or as little time as possible with a concept.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)