Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Jaden Smith's 'Scary' Twitter Rant Sends Parents Into a Tizzy

Posted by on Sep. 17, 2013 at 1:26 PM
  • 16 Replies

**Another good discussion post**

Jaden Smith's 'Scary' Twitter Rant Sends Parents Into a Tizzy

by Lisa Fogarty 

Remember when you were 15 and spent a good portion of your day expressing your innermost thoughts on a crumbled piece of paper that you tossed to your BFF during third period? Among scribbling amusing quips about the boy we loved to death, how many of us are guilty of also writing something along the lines of, "School sucks. Who needs this class?"

Well, Jaden Smith just more or less did the same thing and, boy, are folks -- adult folks -- needlessly coming down hard on him. 

The 15-year-old son of Will Smith and Jada Pinkett Smith took to Twitter, the 2013 version of note-passing, and declared: "School Is The Tool To Brainwash The Youth. Education Is Rebellion. If Newborn Babies Could Speak They Would Be The Most Intelligent Beings On Planet Earth." 

He continued: "If Everybody In The World Dropped Out Of School We Would Have A Much More Intelligent Society ... Everybody Get Off Your Phones And Go Do What You Actually Wanna Do."

Are his comments outrageously silly? Yes. Dangerous? No. Just no.

Some adults disagree and say Jaden is a bad influence on other kids. They're blaming everything from Scientology to Will and Jada's parenting philosophy, which I'll admit is far more liberal than anything I experienced growing up. 

But even my strict parents certainly didn't stop me from publishing poems in high school that raged against everything from school to society (as seen through 15-year-old eyes) to, yep, my parents. Granted, I wasn't a celebrity with millions of teens hanging on my every word, but the ones who read my writing weren't the bit scandalized -- they related to what I wrote, just as I related to their tales of teen woe. 

And I can guarantee few teens have glanced at Jaden's Twitter page and felt even the slightest jolt of anxiety at what they've read. In my opinion, Will and Jada are doing the right thing by under-reacting to their son's recent public rants. Don't worry, in five years he'll look back and feel totally embarrassed about this time in his young life. Just like we would if we could get our hands on those notes from third period. 

What do you think about what he tweeted?

by on Sep. 17, 2013 at 1:26 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
usmom3
by BJ on Sep. 17, 2013 at 1:40 PM
6 moms liked this

I don't think he will be embarrassed about it when he is an adult. I think he & his sister have been give a rare opportunity by their parents to grow up in control of their lives & their education! He can see the damage the schools have on the youth of today because he is on the outside looking in! The reason so many people as upset about what he said is because they are a product of it or are to close to see if for what it is!

Read the Underground History of American Education

ablackdolphin
by Bronze Member on Sep. 17, 2013 at 1:42 PM

Harmless and some truth to what he's saying.

Dawn07
by Bronze Member on Sep. 17, 2013 at 2:16 PM
I see nothing wrong with what he said. He just expressed a thought, whether a person agrees or not.
1CynfulDlite
by on Sep. 17, 2013 at 2:25 PM

Intelligence at it's finest? 

bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on Sep. 17, 2013 at 3:47 PM

Bwahahahahaha..... I love it!  There were many days I hated school and many days I liked school.  Every kid can relate to that!

WizardOfAhs
by on Sep. 17, 2013 at 4:19 PM
1 mom liked this

He sounded clear and concise to me, and I agree with him completely. It should be enlightening that a child understands the sad state of 'education' in America.

SusanTheWriter
by Bronze Member on Sep. 17, 2013 at 4:22 PM
2 moms liked this
I can't think of any rational person who would find that statement scary.
His hair, otoh, is a little startling at first glance! *gg*
kirbymom
by Sonja on Sep. 17, 2013 at 5:12 PM
1 mom liked this
What an intelligent young man!
And the reason people would be up in arms over his statements would be because they would be afraid he is telling the truth and oh how could they have missed the boat when it was so obvious to a child and yet they didn't see it!? sucks in breath and says, how could that be? I'm an adult and didn't see it do it couldn't possibly be true!
Guess what?! It is. Deal with. Fix it. Move on.
redhead-bedhead
by Bronze Member on Sep. 17, 2013 at 5:32 PM

clapping

Kenre
by on Sep. 17, 2013 at 5:35 PM
I agree with him!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)