Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Need Advice for Struggling Kindergartener

Posted by on Sep. 17, 2013 at 5:11 PM
  • 11 Replies

I have a 6 year old that is struggling in math, especially in number recognition/identification and writing numbers (she does reversals especially with 2, 5, 7, etc.).  I started out with Math U See Primer, but it getting to a point where it is too difficult for her to continue...so looking for an inexpensive alternative.  Any recommendations or ideas would be greatly appreciated.

by on Sep. 17, 2013 at 5:11 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on Sep. 17, 2013 at 5:25 PM

Wasn't there a post like this this morning?

Reversals are okay up till about 8yo or 3rd grade.  But just having her practice writing them, making them with playdoh, making them with finger paint would be helpful.  If you are looking for a full math curric....

http://allinonehomeschool.com/individual-courses-of-study/math/

http://www.homeschoolmath.net/worksheets/grade_1.php

marrionsmommy
by on Sep. 17, 2013 at 5:32 PM
Games games gmes.....stack cups with numbers on em...throw balls into specifi number cups, play hopscotch. Nuber recognition is repetative and it works if the kids see em over and ovrr again. My 6 yr old is in MuS beta and still reverses numbers I just point it out andmmake him erase and rewrite.....only number he reverses is 2 /5.
usmom3
by BJ on Sep. 17, 2013 at 5:45 PM

Yes it is the same poster! The only thing I can gather is she must not have liked the replies in the other post & thought if she asked the same question she would get different answers a few hours later!

Quoting bluerooffarm:

bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on Sep. 17, 2013 at 5:46 PM

Oh...oops!  I think I gave her pretty much the same answer.

Quoting usmom3:

Yes it is the same poster! The only thing I can gather is she must not have liked the replies in the other post & thought if she asked the same question she would get different answers a few hours later!

Quoting bluerooffarm:

kirbymom
by Sonja on Sep. 17, 2013 at 5:47 PM
Oh sweety, that is okay. Reversing is just how the brain sees things and interprets them. I used to do the same thing when I was young. In fact, the teachers thought I used to do it on purpose so I could cheat somehow. I would just play more unlimbers games. Anything that has a number on it and she can visually see it every time she turns around. Maybe get her some Nebraska activity books for her to do whenever she has a mood to do. This way she won't feel like she is being coerced or forced to continue learning and get aggravated at the whole situation. Make as much a game of learning as you can. The more fun she has the more likely she will remember.
usmom3
by BJ on Sep. 17, 2013 at 5:53 PM
1 mom liked this

Unfortunetly that is going to happen lets hope she looks at your links & sees that they might be what she is looking for!

Quoting bluerooffarm:

Oh...oops!  I think I gave her pretty much the same answer.

Quoting usmom3:

Quoting bluerooffarm:

tmcris
by on Sep. 18, 2013 at 12:54 PM

Sorry about the double posting.  I was trying to put my post on two different blogs and ended up putting them on the same one on my cellphone.  Got to love my cellphone.

The reason why I am concerned is because her big sister has ADHD, a learning disability, and dyslexia, etc. 

I was hoping Math U See would work, but after lesson 8 they start discussing place values.  She is definitely not ready for that.  I looked at the Easy Peasy too, but I feel that it doesn't spend enough time on working on numbers 0-20.

Thanks for all of your help and recommendations.  Keep them coming:)

MamaDearie
by Member on Sep. 18, 2013 at 1:00 PM

My daughter gets frustrated that she still reverses the numbers 2 and 5 and the lowercase letters b and d. It just takes time and patience. It's totally normal when they are young. It's not necessarily indicative of dyslexia or any other learning disabilities. How does she do with reading? Is she able to recognize the numbers and letters well but has trouble duplicating them in writing? Just give her time to mature. We like using A Reason for Writing to help with proper letter formation and using Christian Light for math. Hope something here helps a bit!

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickersLilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Kids Birthday tickers
Daisypath Anniversary tickersDaisypath Halloween tickersDaisypath Thanksgiving tickers
Daisypath Christmas tickers
romacox
by Silver Member on Sep. 18, 2013 at 3:10 PM
hipmomto3
by Bronze Member on Sep. 18, 2013 at 5:12 PM

My kids were mixing up 2s and 5s (or rather, writing them backwards) but my husband taught them that the 5 is like a chef. The round part is his face and the top is his hat. Five can only be a chef with his hat on right if you make the number that way - and it's worked for them somehow. I don't see it, but they like it, and it worked. ;)

I agree about reinforcing with ways other than just writing the #s. Make play-doh numbers, write the number large on a piece of paper and have them glue beans, buttons, corn kernels, pom-poms, etc onto the number - all the while they are looking at its shape and studying it. Also make sure she is making the numbers the right way - not just so they come out the right way, but forming them - like top to bottom, left to right. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN