Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Reading Eggs.....Yay or Nay?

Posted by on Sep. 17, 2013 at 6:41 PM
  • 10 Replies
I started a trial for my kids, 6 and 3. I tested my older son and he was at level 7 which was on a 5 year old level on reading so the practice would obviously be good for him. He tested out on the Math Seeds. It said they would be adding higher lessons at some future point. I didn't try to test my 3 year old, just started him and he enjoyed it but is having trouble manipulating the mouse. So, is it worth it? Did it help your kids?
by on Sep. 17, 2013 at 6:41 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
usmom3
by BJ on Sep. 17, 2013 at 7:30 PM

I loved it but I wound not pay the price they want because my children used it so sporadically. We got the app for the tablet instead.

kmath
by Silver Member on Sep. 17, 2013 at 7:38 PM

We did the trial as well and while my son loved it, he also tested out in the math and he didn't like the reading part as much.  If it is working for your kids and they are learning I say go for it.  As long as you are going to use it to make it worth the price then I think it is a pretty good site.

Clh1989
by on Sep. 18, 2013 at 8:12 AM

Did you use a promo code for the free trial?

ablackdolphin
by Bronze Member on Sep. 18, 2013 at 8:49 AM
I am watching this too DD is almost 4. Did not know there is a math portion. How much math vs reading???
Bluecalm
by Bronze Member on Sep. 18, 2013 at 9:02 AM
No, just did a free trial.

Quoting Clh1989:

Did you use a promo code for the free trial?

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Bluecalm
by Bronze Member on Sep. 18, 2013 at 9:06 AM
$49.99 for a year and $29.99 for 6 months. There was a 50% discount for siblings.

Quoting ablackdolphin:

I am watching this too DD is almost 4. Did not know there is a math portion. How much math vs reading???

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MessedUpMama
by Member on Sep. 19, 2013 at 12:23 AM

DCG uses it. She does really well while she is doing it, but promptly forgets everything once the "fun" is over. That's just the way she has always been with reading skills. She is 6, in first grade and still having trouble with sounding out words, blending letter sounds into words, and just remembering a word from page to page and sentence to sentence. I do think that some of it is sticking, this is her second year using Reading Eggs. Do a lesson or two a day until the trial runs out and see how much they have learned, then you wll know if you should get it or not.

Bluecalm
by Bronze Member on Sep. 19, 2013 at 12:27 AM
My son is 6 and he is having trouble remembering words too. He sounds them out, but it's not sticking. He showed me the word "all" and he knew it, but then when he saw the word a little later he had no clue.

Quoting MessedUpMama:

DCG uses it. She does really well while she is doing it, but promptly forgets everything once the "fun" is over. That's just the way she has always been with reading skills. She is 6, in first grade and still having trouble with sounding out words, blending letter sounds into words, and just remembering a word from page to page and sentence to sentence. I do think that some of it is sticking, this is her second year using Reading Eggs. Do a lesson or two a day until the trial runs out and see how much they have learned, then you wll know if you should get it or not.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MessedUpMama
by Member on Sep. 19, 2013 at 12:34 AM

I don't think phonics is going to work with her. My youngest brother didn't learn to read with phonics, he says he see the whole word, it's shape, but not the individual letters. She may be like that , if we can just find something that really works for her. My brother doesn't remember learning how to read, just that sounding out the words didn't work for him, so he can't help point us the right way. [sigh]

debramommyof4
by Silver Member on Sep. 19, 2013 at 1:04 AM

I liked it but my kids know how to manipulate it and guess so they can pass so it is just for fun when we get a free trial. I can not use it daily. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN