Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Correlation??

Posted by on Sep. 17, 2013 at 8:19 PM
  • 8 Replies
1 mom liked this
So today I really had some self control and did not go on CM or FB during school time at all (I usually just peak "real quick")...I only used the Internet to print a few things to get ahead for the week and I did a blog post.

The kids were done with most of their work, aside from a history project and a quick artist write up, by 11:30 (we started at 8).

I should have them write done what order they did things in and test this out again, lol. We did do less history than normal, but everything else was pretty typical and for their writing they had fun journal prompts and wrote like 3x more than I requested.

They spent maybe another hour at the most working on the artist write up and the history project (one made the Nile out of clay and drew in the seas, and the other made a hut out of clay).

Do you think they could have been more focused with me being more focused on school? Or is it just a coincidence? I will also say DD had different math that was a bit less time consuming for her-and she didn't complain once! So that could have reduced the time a bit too. Oh and they listened to the bible during lunch, but that's what we usually do.
by on Sep. 17, 2013 at 8:19 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
kmath
by Silver Member on Sep. 17, 2013 at 8:43 PM
1 mom liked this

Test it out again tomorrow.  It might be because you are more focused on them, they feel like they need to be more focused on school.  Actually this post got me thinking about our day as well.  We went to the park today and did school there.  DS got done in about half the time.  I didn't have my computer with me so couldn't check on anything so I wasn't distracted today and focused more on him.  I usually get on when he is doing independent work, but he likes to have me there when he is doing it and tends to get off track when I am not right there with him.  I thought it was just being at the park that got him motivated, so I might try turning off the computer (except when we need it for his stuff) during school time and see if it works at home as well. 

PurpleCupcake
by Cynthia on Sep. 18, 2013 at 7:22 AM
1 mom liked this

I think younger kids do have more focus when an adult is nearby.

My son is famous for playing with his pencil if I'm gone to long. 

mem82
by Platinum Member on Sep. 18, 2013 at 8:27 AM
1 mom liked this
Awesome! My kids do better when I'm focused, too.
oredeb
by on Sep. 18, 2013 at 10:32 AM
1 mom liked this

oh yea i think my kids are more focused when im right in there with them, not doing something else. and this is 30 years ive been experimenting!!

what also helps my kids is if i have a lesson plan waiting and know what we are doing next.

TJandKarasMom
by Debbie on Sep. 18, 2013 at 11:25 AM
So today, I needed to hem a pair of pants. So I sat at the same table as the kids and worked on the pants...I'm not great at sewing yet so it was time consuming but I could stop with no problem if needed...well DD ended up not getting her work done, and DH even got involved at one point because of her refusal and being so disrespectful.

So apparently, not only do I need to sit at the table, but I also can't do ANYTHING else while she is working. Even though all she needed to do was ask me to help and I would have dropped it and helped. Maybe I have to find things to do that don't look like I'm doing anything...I can't just sit her literally doing nothing until she needs help!
LostTheSlipper
Today is a "blah" day.
Thursday at 6:40 PM
by Member on Sep. 18, 2013 at 6:38 PM

Quoting TJandKarasMom:

So today, I needed to hem a pair of pants. So I sat at the same table as the kids and worked on the pants...I'm not great at sewing yet so it was time consuming but I could stop with no problem if needed...well DD ended up not getting her work done, and DH even got involved at one point because of her refusal and being so disrespectful.

So apparently, not only do I need to sit at the table, but I also can't do ANYTHING else while she is working. Even though all she needed to do was ask me to help and I would have dropped it and helped. Maybe I have to find things to do that don't look like I'm doing anything...I can't just sit her literally doing nothing until she needs help!

How old is she? I'd just tell her, "I've got work to do, and so do you. It needs to be worked on, and if you need help, I'll gladly come and help you."

TJandKarasMom
by Debbie on Sep. 18, 2013 at 7:32 PM
She's 10, totally old enough to be able to understand that.

Quoting LostTheSlipper:

Quoting TJandKarasMom:

How old is she? I'd just tell her, "I've got work to do, and so do you. It needs to be worked on, and if you need help, I'll gladly come and help you."

kirbymom
by Sonja on Sep. 19, 2013 at 12:25 AM
1 mom liked this
Not having read anyone's posts yet,
I think it went so well because you had a change up to your everyday normal routine. My kids almost always seem to do better when we do things a bit differently. Plus it doesn't hurt that you had a bit more focus on their activity level which they seemed to have enjoyed. You know, more of mom than usual?
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)