Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

is time4learning enough?

Posted by on Sep. 18, 2013 at 4:50 PM
  • 23 Replies
I have started my son homeschooling this yr, he is in 1st grade and I'm using the full time4learning curriculum also having him write an draw in a journal everyday, a children's Spanish workbook and reading at least 15 min a day. Anyone else who uses T4L? Is the curriculum going to teach them all they are supposed to be learning in 1st grade? The way it divided out his subject schedual he is not doing much each day. Doing everything it tells him to do an the two extras and reading he is only Working 3 hrs a day is that enough?
by on Sep. 18, 2013 at 4:50 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
hipmomto3
by Bronze Member on Sep. 18, 2013 at 5:08 PM
1 mom liked this

First of all, I think 3 hours a day is plenty for 1st grade.

However, I'm not a fan of T4L at all. I checked it out - twice, actually, second time because I thought I must've missed something the first time - and I just do not think it's a complete, well-rounded program at all. Maybe helpful as a study tool in addition to other schooling, but not stand alone. My neighbor homeschools her son and they pretty much ONLY us T4L (4th grade), and this child worries me. He does not know ABOUT things or how to DO things that my 1st and 2nd graders know. Maybe it's just him - I'm not sure. His parents don't seem really concerned about his education (they do it more out of "keeping out of the system" than a desire for the best education), so maybe that's part of it.

mem82
by Platinum Member on Sep. 18, 2013 at 5:19 PM

I've heard that some use it for the younger grades fine.

us.mex.fam.of4
by Member on Sep. 18, 2013 at 5:20 PM

What do u recommend for me to know everything that a l need to teach a first grader?

Quoting hipmomto3:

However, I'm not a fan of T4L at all. I checked it out - twice, actually, second time because I thought I must've missed something the first time - and I just do not think it's a complete, well-rounded program at all. Maybe helpful as a study tool in addition to other schooling, but not stand alone. My neighbor homeschools her son and they pretty much ONLY us T4L (4th grade), and this child worries me. He does not know ABOUT things or how to DO things that my 1st and 2nd graders know. Maybe it's just him - I'm not sure. His parents don't seem really concerned about his education (they do it more out of "keeping out of the system" than a desire for the best education), so maybe that's part of it.

AutymsMommy
by Silver Member on Sep. 18, 2013 at 5:53 PM

It's not the time that I think isn't enough, it's the content. A child I'm tutoring was using primarily time 4 learning and no, I do NOT think it is enough - I think it's shallow and easy to cheat.

I am a Home Schooling, Vaccinating, Non spanking, Nightmare Cuddling, Dessert Giving, Bedtime Kissing, Book Reading, Stay at Home Mom. I believe in the benefit of organized after school activities and nosy, involved parents. I believe in spoiling my children. I believe that I have seen the village and I do not want it anywhere near my children. Now for the controversial stuff:  we're Catholic, we're conservative, and we own guns (now there's no need to ask, lol).             Aimee

AutymsMommy
by Silver Member on Sep. 18, 2013 at 5:55 PM
2 moms liked this

What Your First Grader Needs to Know (the book by Core Knowledge)

A solid phonics program (like Phonics Pathways)

A solid math program

Perhaps Story of the World for history

Magic School Bus dvds and books for science

Quoting us.mex.fam.of4:

What do u recommend for me to know everything that a l need to teach a first grader?

Quoting hipmomto3:

I am a Home Schooling, Vaccinating, Non spanking, Nightmare Cuddling, Dessert Giving, Bedtime Kissing, Book Reading, Stay at Home Mom. I believe in the benefit of organized after school activities and nosy, involved parents. I believe in spoiling my children. I believe that I have seen the village and I do not want it anywhere near my children. Now for the controversial stuff:  we're Catholic, we're conservative, and we own guns (now there's no need to ask, lol).             Aimee

samsbaby78
by on Sep. 18, 2013 at 5:59 PM
2 moms liked this
We use it and it is great for my son. We don't use it as a stand alone curriculum though. We also use life of fred, workbooks, read separate books, and all about spelling. It works for us.
QueenCreole313
by on Sep. 18, 2013 at 7:17 PM
We use it. It's great but we do supplement with other things.
debramommyof4
by Silver Member on Sep. 18, 2013 at 7:26 PM

Look into Lessonpathways.com and allinonehomeschool.com.  Also if you like letter of the week they have some first grade add in and you could use that for everything except math.  http://www.letteroftheweek.com/story_of_the_week.html.

Quoting us.mex.fam.of4:

Quoting hipmomto3:

KrissyKC
by Silver Member on Sep. 18, 2013 at 8:23 PM

I used it as my older two kids (at the time, 3rd and 5th grades) main curriculum last year.   We've used it in the past, too.

However, last year, I added in Rod & Staff English, journalling, some hands-on extra stuff we just thought was fun, and a book box every two weeks that we pulled based on what they were studying in time4learning in science and social studies.   Not to mention field trips, choir, sports, etc...

That was ok, and would have been enough, but my kids just didn't care for the math and such.   

I'm currently using it to help me with my kindergartener.   I give her a daily board and notebook, some fine motor skill work, time4learning (K level), daily read alouds, and she participates with the older kids in Apologia science.  We even bought the junior journalling notebook from apologia for her.  (worthy investment).   We also have draw right now, but haven't really started using it yet for her.   She really can barely write the alphabet, so I'm working on basic letter formation first.

Anyway,

Long answer short.... No, I really don't find it enough.   However, it's a decent guide and help.

hipmomto3
by Bronze Member on Sep. 18, 2013 at 9:34 PM
1 mom liked this

I think the question, what should I be teaching a first grader? - will get a lot of different responses :) - none of them wrong. 

I can tell you what I do with my first grader, just for reference.

-Saxon Math 1 (we do one lesson per day, together, then she completes a worksheet on her own; there are also poster graphs she works on for weather and other charting). This gives a basic foundation for adding, subtraction, geometry, ordinal position, etc.

-Handwriting (we only do this 1 or 2 days a week as I don't feel pressuring small hands to write neatly is super important at this age). We use a Joke/Riddle Handwriting book so it's more fun at the end to read what they wrote.

-Reading with mom - we do level 1-3 easy readers from the library or from our home library. For this week we read a story from a Little Bear book together - I read one page, she reads the next, etc. DH reads books with her at bedtime in the same way. 

-Reading aloud to her - from historical books, and classic literature. We spend about 30 minutes a day reading aloud. 

-File folder games - most of ours are about sight words, but we have a few about  matching, or math.

-computer games - starfall, pbskids, coolmath-games, and abcya are the only ones she's allowed to use during school, and only the certain game/level I tell them, and only for 20 minutes. (They are allowed more screen time in the late afternoon when school is done)

-co-op classes - choir, sewing, PE, and Bible story/snack.

-Daisy girl scouts, earning badges, hikes, cooking

-Tumbling, 1 hour per week

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN