Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms
I have started my son homeschooling this yr, he is in 1st grade and I'm using the full time4learning curriculum also having him write an draw in a journal everyday, a children's Spanish workbook and reading at least 15 min a day. Anyone else who uses T4L? Is the curriculum going to teach them all they are supposed to be learning in 1st grade? The way it divided out his subject schedual he is not doing much each day. Doing everything it tells him to do an the two extras and reading he is only Working 3 hrs a day is that enough?
by on Sep. 18, 2013 at 4:50 PM
Replies (21-23):
AutymsMommy
by Silver Member on Sep. 21, 2013 at 9:52 PM

IMO, my belief that T4L isn't enough has nothing to do with hours or time spent working, and everything to do with content. I'm tutoring a girl who was using it as her core (and sole) curriculum, and it was incredibly shallow, easy to "cheat", and VERY easy to float through without really learning or retaining anything.

Quoting BunnyGirl82:

IMO, YES! The public school system has many of us homeschool moms worried that we are not doing enough, because we are not sitting there for 6-8 hours, doing school work. The thing many of us forget, is that in a pubic school, there are 20-30 kids that need to be taught at once in any one classroom. This requires much more time per subject. Then there is time consumed in changing classes and getting situated, etc. When you are teaching at home, with only one, two, etc. kids, It takes a lot less time to finish. Personally, We only do about 2-3 hours a day as well. We also use Time4Learning for both of our kids. I have a Kinder. and 5th Grader. The only thing extra I use is Spelling City and some Interest led Unit Studies from time to time. This program will teach what is needed, but you will have to figure out if it is enough. This is why I love to add Unit Studies. It allows me to add just what I want, when I think I need it. HTH :)

I am a Home Schooling, Vaccinating, Non spanking, Nightmare Cuddling, Dessert Giving, Bedtime Kissing, Book Reading, Stay at Home Mom. I believe in the benefit of organized after school activities and nosy, involved parents. I believe in spoiling my children. I believe that I have seen the village and I do not want it anywhere near my children. Now for the controversial stuff:  we're Catholic, we're conservative, and we own guns (now there's no need to ask, lol).             Aimee

pandahoneybee
by Member on Oct. 1, 2013 at 7:14 PM
1 mom liked this

I agree with what others have said here 3 hours is more then enough time for 1st grade...sounds like you are doing awesome with what you are doing so far. We started my youngest on T4L for 1st grade as well, did some supplement things for science and geography and any other interest led activites. I was also worried about it not being enough one because my kiddo loved it and two because it wasn't the standard all day type of teaching. Ya know like what you do in school...but when we did our end of the year testing (we live in a state that requires that) he scored two grades above in reading and math. So it worked out awesome for us.  We also read books together everyday and art... hope this helps!

us.mex.fam.of4
by Member on Oct. 1, 2013 at 7:39 PM
Thank u! You make me feel so much better about what we are doing. I love homeschooling!!!

Quoting pandahoneybee:

I agree with what others have said here 3 hours is more then enough time for 1st grade...sounds like you are doing awesome with what you are doing so far. We started my youngest on T4L for 1st grade as well, did some supplement things for science and geography and any other interest led activites. I was also worried about it not being enough one because my kiddo loved it and two because it wasn't the standard all day type of teaching. Ya know like what you do in school...but when we did our end of the year testing (we live in a state that requires that) he scored two grades above in reading and math. So it worked out awesome for us.  We also read books together everyday and art... hope this helps!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)